OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Still Pick Sixth, They Just Don't Have A Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Could easily be wrong because Andy’s opening presser was considered a disaster, but this whole thing reeks of them filling the coaching room up with sycophants.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Potentially sets the stage for Howie’s first power struggle if Howie thought that was his own control.
Roseman may not realize it yet but Sirianni may well be his last hire as a HC in town. Its rare for a GM to be able to run through three failed HCs and survive; four is unheard of. If Sirianni flops, the media will run both him and Roseman out of town. Lurie may love Howie but if this hiring fails, he'll have no choice but to clean out the entire house.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
He was clearly nervous, but he also didn't step into any landmines and gave reasonable answers. Facing that media presence after having experienced mostly San Diego and Indianapolis is quite the jump.

The difference between the Eagles media and every other one in town save a few Sixers writers is...stark. They just hammer you from every angle. Les Bowen is everything you could ever want in a pure beat writer.

i wish he was back on the Flyers

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Roseman may not realize it yet but Sirianni may well be his last hire as a HC in town. Its rare for a GM to be able to run through three failed HCs and survive; four is unheard of. If Sirianni flops, the media will run both him and Roseman out of town. Lurie may love Howie but if this hiring fails, he'll have no choice but to clean out the entire house.

Failed HCs?
AR flopped with the dream team, but that was an unusual situation with the death of his son.
Chip went 10-6 his first two years, then imploded.
Pederson went to the playoffs 3 of 5 seasons and won a SB.

If I told you in 2012 I have a GM who'll get us to the playoffs 4 of the next 8 years and win a SB, any complaints?
Sometimes I think fans have unrealistic expectations.

I don't expect Sirianni to flop, the expectations are low, his first two seasons should be rebuilding years, so the pressure won't come until 2023.
It's possible they could turn things around quickly, depends on a few factors:
1) They can get Wentz back with a QB friendly system build around a pocket QB
2) The OL bounces back, depending on Lane, Brooks and Kelce, but Dillard, Seumalo, Herbig, Driscoll, Mailata ain't bad.
3) They land one solid receiver/H-back in this draft and a power RB
4) The new DC can put in a more CB friendly system and get them to "average."
5) They revert to an average rate of injuries
While they'll dump a bunch of veterans, Graham - Cox - Hargrave - Barnett, Sweat, is still solid up front, but the secondary needs to be rebuilt.

So I think it'll take two years to build up young talent since they won't be able to tap the FA market.
Come 2023, with the cap cleared, they'll be ready for takeoff.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wow he just said he wants a team of smart players and then said he would dumb it down for them.....ok ....

I think he means he wants players smart enough not to screw up but he doesn't want to outsmart himself by getting too complicated in designing his playbook and making it too hard to master - execution beats creativity in the NFL.

Everybody knew what Lombardi was going to call, but they couldn't stop it.
NFL coaches steal new ideas faster than Russian hackers or Chinese spies.
So trying to be the smartest guy in the room is a futile exercise, be the best manager (i.e. implementation).

What I like about this staff is they have a track record of coaching up players at their positions.
Except for a few uber-athletes, in every sport the teams that can turn good talent into good players has the edge.

In the NFL it's easier to take advantage of that skill b/c the size of rosters means there are lots of talented players who hit the waiver wire because they're bad fits or the victim of numbers games in training camp. It's not enough to recognize them, you also have to make them into players.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It good to know we hired Stuttering John as our coach. Was wondering what happened to him after Leno.

I got no confidence that this guy is a strong leader. Say what you want about McDaniels or Chip, but they inspired confidence (before it all blew up in their team's face).

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
What do you guys think of a DeSean for Trevor trade? In the last half century I've never seen a first overall pick in any sport that was not called "once in a decade." :rolleyes:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I listen to every interview in 2x speed so he didn't sound too bad to me. :)

The last two coaches that brought a championship to Philly had disastrous first PCs. Chip was great because he was a GOAT BSer.

Reactions: Cody Webster

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I listen to every interview in 2x speed so he didn't sound too bad to me. :)

The last two coaches that brought a championship to Philly had disastrous first PCs. Chip was great because he was a GOAT BSer.

What scares me about this guy is that he sounds so much like Gabe Kapler when the Phillies hired him.

Just naïve anxiousness

Reactions: Cody Webster

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What scares me about this guy is that he sounds so much like Gabe Kapler when the Phillies hired him.

Just naïve anxiousness
Gabe was annoying but he wasn't as bad at his actual job as everyone made him out to be. He took one of the worst rosters in baseball to within a game of the playoffs this year.

Report: Colts are expected to hire Press Taylor - ProFootballTalk

I have to assume this means that Carson isn't going near Indy
They're buddies.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Gabe was annoying but he wasn't as bad at his actual job as everyone made him out to be. He took one of the worst rosters in baseball to within a game of the playoffs this year.

They're buddies.

Gabe was super duper annoying, for sure. I think he was better at his job than he got credit for (you see what Girardi did with the same team essentially...similar result).

And apologies: was more of a jest about Press & Carson, but there wasn't a big hint of sarcasm I suppose!

It does seem Carson's out of here, I will say. His silence + their inability to talk him up is really all I need to know he's gone at this point.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

They're buddies.

Honestly, at the start of Gabe's first season when he pulled Nola after what, 3 innings? When Nola was cruising? That might be the absolute dumbest move I've ever seen a manager make. To his credit he did get better over time.

Reactions: phlflyer1

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Mike Groh is in Indy too. That could go either way.

Honestly, at the start of Gabe's first season when he pulled Nola after what, 3 innings? When Nola was cruising? That might be the absolute dumbest move I've ever seen a manager make. To his credit he did get better over time.
It was 5.1 in his first start of the year going through the order a third time where they structured the roster that weekend to carry an overloaded bullpen. The thought process was perfectly reasonable. The result was bad (because they once again had a terrible pen). People didn't like him from the jump because of how he presented himself and that just gave fans the ammunition they needed to pounce. And it never stopped. Hell that crummy roster was what, in first place in August? They were pacing with the Dodgers for a good bit iirc. The expectations were totally out of whack as this season showed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gabe was super duper annoying, for sure. I think he was better at his job than he got credit for (you see what Girardi did with the same team essentially...similar result).

And apologies: was more of a jest about Press & Carson, but there wasn't a big hint of sarcasm I suppose!

It does seem Carson's out of here, I will say. His silence + their inability to talk him up is really all I need to know he's gone at this point.

Meh. Everyone on the offensive side of the new coaching staff have experience coaching pocket QBs. Accident?
Doug didn't have a clue, he wanted Wentz to emulate Foles and run the RPO.

You can either gamble on someone's retread, a draft pick or hope you can get Wentz back to 2017-19.

Wentz had one bad year behind a collapsing OL, no good receivers with Ertz out, and a doofus HC who kept calling multiple deep routes when his OL couldn't pass protect - and people want to give up on him.

Reactions: phil162888
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad