OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Still Pick Sixth, They Just Don't Have A Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
upload_2021-1-12_12-47-58.png

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Hurts isn't gonna be Lamar Jackson but I still feel he can be a solid starting QB. He showed a ton of improvement in the passing game under Lincoln Riley at OU. Give this man more than 2 bad games before comparing him to Jason Campbell.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hurts isn't gonna be Lamar Jackson but I still feel he can be a solid starting QB. He showed a ton of improvement in the passing game under Lincoln Riley at OU. Give this man more than 2 bad games before comparing him to Jason Campbell.

Hurts, imo has the ability to be a better passer than Jackson. Hurts can become a dak prescott type and is not that far away from that level.

Reactions: phil162888

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
@Beef Invictus this is not the end product merely just the next step in his development.

also just because you have been in qb purgatory doesn't mean you get to throw that campbell, ramsay, haskins voodoo on us. gtfo of here with that.

His throwing motion and ability isn't the problem, it's his issues reading the field. Fixing a brain is really hard.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
His throwing motion and ability isn't the problem, it's his issues reading the field. Fixing a brain is really hard.

his throwing motion imo does leave a bit to be desired. I want him to be more consistent with his footwork, and get more hip rotation on his throws. an uptick in torque could get him to that velocity level i feel comfortable with.

IN regards to reading the field, that is something that all young qb's are going to have a bit of a learning curve , especially coming from a system like Oklahoma. I personally am not worried about it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Is a solid starter good enough to contend? I really don't think it is anymore unless your roster is completely nuts.

Your absolute top end of Hurts comps is what? 2020 Kyler Murray? Definitely a starter. Doesn't excite me enough to pass on a guy I evaluate to be a high-end QB prospect.
Absolutely true.
But after Lawrence and probably Fields (didn't watch the title game yet but judging by the numbers and a few tidbits I have read about it, he didn't look very good) who most likely will go 1-2, do you really believe the Eagles can land a franchise level QB in this draft? And what do they have to give up for it (quite a few teams that might want to go or jump up for another QB so you might have to trade up)?

I am not that convinced that there is another QB in the draft that will be worth picking that high (not that sold on Wilson and I don't want Lance or Trask). Next year will be a dumpster fire anyways most likely and it seems the Eagles still want to give Wentz a try in camp.

I'd honestly roll with Hurts/X (Wentz if we can't find a taker) and look for a QB if things don't work out..

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Absolutely true.
But after Lawrence and probably Fields (didn't watch the title game yet but judging by the numbers and a few tidbits I have read about it, he didn't look very good), do you really believe the Eagles can land a franchise level QB in this draft? And what do they have to give up for it (quite a few teams that might want to go or jump up for another QB so you might have to trade up)?

I am not that convinced that there is another QB in the draft that will be worth picking that high (not that sold on Wilson and I don't want Lance or Trask). Next year will be a dumpster fire anyways most likely and it seems the Eagles still want to give Wentz a try in camp.

I'd honestly roll with Hurts/X (Wentz if we can't find a taker) and look for a QB if things don't work out..

i like the idea of rolling with hurts, or trying to fix wentz than drafting someone in this draft. Although Trey Lance does seem intriguing.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Absolutely true.
But after Lawrence and probably Fields (didn't watch the title game yet but judging by the numbers and a few tidbits I have read about it, he didn't look very good), do you really believe the Eagles can land a franchise level QB in this draft? And what do they have to give up for it (quite a few teams that might want to go or jump up for another QB so you might have to trade up)?

If you're not sold on Wilson/Fields/Lance, that's a separate issue to me. Step 1 is whether you take them off your board because of Hurts, which is patently absurd and all I'm concerned with for now.

I haven't dug into it super deep yet, but my guess is that Wilson will end up above the bar to me. I have absolutely no idea on Lance and Jones/Trask/whoever else will be well below the threshold.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If you're not sold on Wilson/Fields/Lance, that's a separate issue to me. Step 1 is whether you take them off your board because of Hurts, which is patently absurd and all I'm concerned with for now.

I haven't dug into it super deep yet, but my guess is that Wilson will end up above the bar to me. I have absolutely no idea on Lance and Jones/Trask/whoever else will be well below the threshold.

Ah ok. That makes sense. New Thread so I thought you were talking about atleast one of those 3...
You know a lot more about these guys than I do but after following the season a bit and doing a bit of extra research, I am not sold on these guys tbh. Atleast not enough to potentially risk a QB room of Hurts/Wentz/(Wilson/Lance/Trask) surrounded by an aging dumpsterfire....

Wilson seems to have a real shot of going before Fields. Thats where I would jump on a falling QB if its Fields.
Wilson reminds me too much of Wentz tbh thats why I am not that high on him. Accuracy issues (even though he has improved), injury history and concerns and I have read some stuff that may or may not be true about him being difficult and a character concern. Especially the part about him being entitled and not a leader reminds me too much of our #11 right now...
Probably unfair and taints my capability of properly evaluating but I'd rather not go down that route.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Is a solid starter good enough to contend? I really don't think it is anymore unless your roster is completely nuts.

Your absolute top end of Hurts comps is what? 2020 Kyler Murray? Definitely a starter. Doesn't excite me enough to pass on a guy I evaluate to be a high-end QB prospect.
I think so. They won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles. Rams made the Super Bowl with Jared Goff. 49ers with Jimmy G.

If you think one of these guys in the draft besides TLaw can be Mahomes / Wilson / Rodgers level then by all means take them, but I definitely think you can compete with a decent starter.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ah ok. That makes sense. New Thread so I thought you were talking about atleast one of those 3...
You know a lot more about these guys than I do but after following the season a bit and doing a bit of extra research, I am not sold on these guys tbh. Atleast not enough to potentially risk a QB room of Hurts/Wentz/(Wilson/Lance/Trask) surrounded by an ageing dumpsterfire....

Wilson seems to have a real shot of going before Fields. Thats where I would jump on a falling QB if its Fields.
Wilson reminds me too much of Wentz tbh thats why I am not that high on him. Accuracy issues (even though he has improved), injury history and I have read some stuff that may or may not be true about him being difficult and a character concern. Especially the part about him being entitled and not a leader reminds me too much of our #11 right now...
Probably unfair and taints my capability of properly evaluating but I'd rather not go down that route.

You get maybe 1 QB a decade who seems to reach a near universal consensus. I don't think you're nuts for not liking any of them.

It's not like you're saying Wilson had accuracy issues and Lance didn't. Very little is completely indefensible. No one is actually good at drafting. Although there was a really interesting discussion a while back on arm strength that explained some things I felt I hadn't been able to express:

Both Tweets seem instructive and important. Yet another reason for the @FLYguy3911 approach of not even having an opinion until you see where these guys land. Kyle Shanahan isn't going to ask someone to do what Eric Bienemy will.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
his throwing motion imo does leave a bit to be desired. I want him to be more consistent with his footwork, and get more hip rotation on his throws. an uptick in torque could get him to that velocity level i feel comfortable with.

IN regards to reading the field, that is something that all young qb's are going to have a bit of a learning curve , especially coming from a system like Oklahoma. I personally am not worried about it.

You should be worried about it, because he's meeting that struggle by just taking to his feet and hoping a receiver directly ahead of him happens to get open, and that's not a reliable path of success. That's why I chose Jason Campbell as my comparable. It's exactly what he did; the upside of having a team that is a parade of failed QBs is that I've seen a ton of failed QBs, and know what they look like. His shortcomings serve to only reinforce current habits. And barring the O line being entirely overhauled to buy him comfort, it's going to be very difficult for him to abandon the playstyle he's relied on all his life, including a year in the pros, and implement a new style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad