OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Still Pick Sixth, They Just Don't Have A Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
DH’s post above shows that Pederson’s staff misused some decent players. I’m probably in the minority but I’m not sad to see Pederson go. He won because of the talent of players that he had on the roster. (When healthy, there are few clubs that could match what the Eagles have with their OL and DLs. Most fans focus on other things but the games are determined in the trenches and that gave the Eagles the edge in many games.) The players deserved better schemes from their coaches on both sides of the ball. Is anyone sorry to see Schwartz go? The persons who designed the inept offensive strategies over the past two seasons? With better coaching and health, the Birds can easily win the Easy next season.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Unless we get a coach that loves Hurts there's no way we should trade Carson..... If we did though we likely will get a ton more than the "experts" expect.. These teams all could use a solid QB upgrade via trade as they have playoff aspirations for 2021

NE, Pitt, SF, Wash, NO, Denver, Indy, Chicago

Who's available? Mariota, Darnold, Jimmy G, Trubisky (so essentially noone)

These teams need young Qb's that they will draft this season or next

NYJ, Jack, Carolina, LA Rams, TB, Min, Det, Atl,NO (in both camps depending on what happens with Brees)

Bottom line that's a hell of a lot of teams that need a QB so imo there's no way the Eagles should give one up based on a season in which they had the worst offensive line in their history (especially when Peters was playing) unless they get a King's ransom. So keep both and see who wins the QB competition next year unless 2 high picks are coming your way
Even if Wentz can bounce back and be average, his contract is still gross. If they can pawn him off now they need to do it IMO.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Lurie is a buffoon. And his attachment to Howie is creepy - kinda like Howie is part boy-toy and part Rasputin.

But there is no way they should have kept Howie while firing Doug. Odds are the new HC will end up with a new boss after the train wreck that will be the '21-22 season, something no good head coach candidate would sign on for, unless they think they can out-maneuver Howie the Snake and get promoted to GM-HC when Lurie finally has to move away from his crush.
I think it's more than a crush. Howie is Jeff's adopted son.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Unless you can get one of those stud OCs to be your HC, make Duce interim HC.

• Howie/Lurie don't seem to care who the coach is when it comes to personnel, so it won't matter if their permanent coach has input on this Top 6 pick (potentially being a QB).
  • You burn a year off of Carson's contract while seeing if you can salvage him under a different guy (who I assume will help him by running the ball more given his playing background).
  • Duce is probably a "yes" man like Lurie/Howie want.
  • He's overseen arguably the only position we've seen fairly consistent progression of players from Howie's acquisitions
  • A few players are publicly suggesting he be interviewed/made HC (Malcolm Jenkins, Brandon Graham, Rodney McLeod, Chris Long are the notable ones)

I don't know when I became such a believer in Duce (because this is all really just based in faith and light extrapolation of success), but I think the answer is staring us in the face.

His resume isn't impressive of course, but neither was Doug's (an OC in an offense where he didn't call the plays). The players seem to really like him - and that's a great start. Treat him like Doug and get the best Coordinators you can.

Morale is a big deal for this org right now I think. If Duce is on the same page as Lurie/Howie, he's the ONLY internal candidate I even consider.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
One thing to keep in mind is that almost all NFL OCs call some plays. Sometimes it's in 2/4 Minute Drills, sometimes it's even in the Red Zone. Often it's when the Head Coach playcaller has other pressing matters that require his attention. Doug famously was calling plays in KC during a late playoff drive where the clock was horribly mismanaged.

Sometimes you're also a dysfunctional organization and people aren't sure when Press Taylor started calling plays.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
But why can't they still trade Wentz too...

Anyway, we've got kinda a Clarkie/Snider dynamic with Howie and Lurie at this point: "Everyone is disposable but us, we don't need a plan, we ARE a plan!" type bullshit.

Reactions: renberg

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
But why can't they still trade Wentz too.

They can, but it's a bad year to do it. Sure you can try to trade him, but you take a massive hit this year. You'd have a hole at QB (backup or starter) to fill now but the money is still dead in a tight cap situation.

All depends on if Lurie/Howie think Wentz is salvageable and want him to succeed here still. If not, then he's outta here I'd imagine.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
@Captain Dave Poulin ben Roethlisberger Vegas retirement odds

Screenshot_20210113-121922_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There's a rumor going around that Bienemy isn't a lock to get a job. I really don't even know what to say to that.

@JojoTheWhale Here's our boy.

So they wanted to fire Reich, Groh, and Taylor out from under Doug and hire Schwartz to take his place.

Some organization.

After one completely reasonable year, no less. Why would you want this job over anything else currently on the market with the conditional exception of Watson-less Houston?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There's a rumor going around that Bienemy isn't a lock to get a job. I really don't even know what to say to that.

I heard this morning on Dan Patrick that there is a rumor going around that he didn't interview well, which is what I was thinking last offseason. No idea what to make of it, but he (Patrick) has reasonably good sources, to the best of my knowledge.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If Sewell were to fall to 6 would it a no question to take him?

I think I'd rather trade back, but I wouldn't be upset.

Maliata looks like he can play & Dillard may be able to recover...but I imagine Lane Johnson will be finished soon, so we can't sleep on Tackle even if we think 1 of Maliata & Dillard will be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad