OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Just When I Thought You Couldn't Get Any Dumber...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We collectively, except @JojoTheWhale apparently, overreacted to 13 good games in the midst of THE Cinderella season of all time

The main problematic indicators in Wentz's 2017 were his numbers in the red zone and on 3rd/4th Downs. He was absolutely excellent and how he did it didn't matter unless we were talking about repeatability. In general, there's nothing magical about those Downs that should cause a massive spike in your play. The best offenses over larger samples are the ones that avoid getting to 3/4 D in the first place. The 2017 Eagles never did that. As I said to you when you asked me, my Wentz comp was Carson Palmer. Same indicators, although Palmer's spike was a little heavier on Under Pressure metrics than Wentz's.

Which leads me to a point about Hurts and why I'm more skeptical than many about his long-term outlook. Now in Hurts' particular case, the training wheels are on and there are a lot more runs on 1/2 D which makes it more difficult to avoid getting into 3rds in the first place. But still, his numbers on 3/4 D are fitting a 2017 Wentz-like pattern to some degree.

If you look at all of Hurts' throws together, it's quite obvious that the coaching staff doesn't trust him to make plays over the middle of the field and is forcing everything outside of the hashes. They're giving him one read plays and keeping him away from the toughest area of the field to decipher coverage. That type of offense is always going to have a cap on it. The main knock on Hurts was that he may never be able to do more than that, so if you're someone like me who thought he came into the draft with good accuracy but completely lacking in the type of experience necessary to run a potent NFL offense, you still think largely the same thing. It's important to be clear that it's also not a knock on him that he's got the same limitations he did 8 months ago. That takes real time. It's just that those limitations are impossible to overcome if you want to be a consistent top ~5 NFL QB, which is always what my goal is.

"Solid" shouldn't be good enough anymore at QB except in extreme corner cases of supremely talented rosters. I think we can all agree the Eagles are not that.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll take a top 5 OL over a top 5 QB. And both over top 5 WRs.

Reason is simple, if I can get consistent pressure on a QB, it takes those slow developing routes out of the playbook and limits what even the best QB can do.

And most "top" WRs need time to sell their moves, what makes Arizona's pair exceptional is that Hopkins and Fitzgerald don't need much separation, so they can get open almost immediately (i.e. they win most ties for the ball).

As Foles showed in 2017, you don't need to be even above average to win if you have the OL, heck, they didn't even have average RBs that year. Outside of Ertz, no other skill player was above average, even Jeffrey was a middle of the road starting WR.

In 2018, even a top OL couldn't raise an offense with the worst RBs in the NFL, and again, Ertz and a bunch of midgets.

2019 they rebounded a bit (12th in scoring) as Wentz finally got a running game, but the receivers regressed even further (below Thrash/Pinkston/Mitchell). Still great OL play though Peters was slipping. The stretch run is what sold me on Wentz, I mean he was throwing to a receiving corp snatched from the practice squad.

2020 the offensive line imploded and so did the offense. The difference this year is that Ertz stopped performing miracles, and while the young WRs can get deep, they're hit and miss from play to play. Why was Wentz holding the ball? Probably because he simply didn't know where his young WRs were, no mini-camps, no exhibition games, no timing. Without Ertz as a security blanket, good luck. And he was shell shocked behind that OL (note that Hurts is getting sacked at the same rate, being mobile just means you lose fewer sack yards).

The good news is they can turn it around quickly, they have good RBs, young WRs who can make strides with a full off-season (vaccine permitting), and they should be able to rebuild the OL. In which case, with a new HC and OC and QB coach, I can see Wentz turning it around and Hurts back to the bench to learn how to play football. Reid was able to "rebuild" McNabb after his 2005 injury sapped his mobility, I think a good coach can do the same with Wentz.

I think Hurts might be starter quality in a year or two, he has good accuracy though average velocity, he's mobile with a body that is better designed to handle hits (built like a FB) and has the instincts to avoid big hits, it's just a question of whether he can pick up the nuances of the pro game (he doesn't have character issues like some young QBs who like to make it rain). Hurts' strongest point is he seems immune to pressure, he's been on the big stage in college and doesn't seem fazed by the pro game. But he has to learn how to quickly go through his progressions b/c good defenses will spy him and take the run away - but with even average WRs, someone should have a favorable matchup.

The bigger problem is an aging and costly defense which has to be revamped on the fly.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Jeff Wilson over Gaskin/Ahmed right?

Just an additional grand on the line here. No pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chinatown88

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
how bad are you getting blown out when the opposition starts the backup qb after the half lol

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Jeff Wilson over Gaskin/Ahmed right?

Just an additional grand on the line here. No pressure.
I went with gaskin as he will be the lead back for as much as I saw

Las Vegas has a pretty shitty run defense. I can’t sit on Robinson debating whether he will play or not.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Funny that the majority of people are probably counting the muting of the announcers for the last half quarter as a blessing

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Having Evans helps but he has Mahomes and Henry who can go nuclear.
monkaS_SSbEnbazz5,q250.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad