OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Is there a plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
This offseason is just insane

If you told me back at the start of last season that going into 2015 we would have Bradford as the QB and Murray in the backfield I would have you drug tested on the spot

Insane what has transpired here in the last 2-3 weeks

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Chip just LAUGHED out loud about trading up for Mariota. Said that is a media thing. Wants to dispel the rumors "once and for all". Bradford is his QB.
still funny to me that chipper is blaming the media for all the speculation about mariota when a) clearly they were making a move at QB & b) he's signing/trading for/drafting every former Duck he seemingly can

& I'm more than a bit wary that Murray is just trying to drive up the price for Dallas-this is a classically classic negotiating move...[but it would be nice]

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Call me crazy but I still think they try to get up there for Marcus Mariota. I think they will give it a huge attempt to say the least.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
I'm shocked at Murray signing here, if it's true. Waiting on contract details, since the Eagles are eating up all that cap space they opened up at a terrifying rate, given the holes they still have. Murray would be a great fit for the Eagles given his style of running and what it sounds like the Eagles want.

Still, I'd like to see a WR, and maybe another safety so they have 2 to start would be nice. :)

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
still funny to me that chipper is blaming the media for all the speculation about mariota when a) clearly they were making a move at QB & b) he's signing/trading for/drafting every former Duck he seemingly can

& I'm more than a bit wary that Murray is just trying to drive up the price for Dallas-this is a classically classic negotiating move...[but it would be nice]

Chip doesn't come across as a guy that gets involved into that nonsense. I am pretty sure if Murray is here they have a legitimate interest of making him the RB.

From a fit standpoint, it is fantastic. This guy running the way he did last season in this scheme can put up 2,000 yards.

I do think the plan is to give him 117-20 carries and let Matthews and Sproles figure out the remaining 10 or so carries

The blueprint has been set though. And this move + Maxwell & Kiko feels like they are trying to copy Seattle's blueprint a lot.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Chip doesn't come across as a guy that gets involved into that nonsense. I am pretty sure if Murray is here they have a legitimate interest of making him the RB.
oh, I agree-I'm just thinking from Murray's agent's POV: meet w/ main rival, drive up price for Dallas

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
oh, I agree-I'm just thinking from Murray's agent's POV: meet w/ main rival, drive up price for Dallas

He wouldn't fly here to philadelphia, nor would the team allow him to if that were the case. Plus, reports that his family are saying he's staying in philly, and that his "inner-circle" is now on their way here... that's a lot of trouble to go through to simply drive a price up.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
He wouldn't fly here to philadelphia, nor would the team allow him to if that were the case.
sure he would, it happens all the time
peyton manning spent a couple of days in miami & tennessee during the free agent period before he met with & signed with denver

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
sure he would, it happens all the time
peyton manning spent a couple of days in miami & tennessee during the free agent period before he met with & signed with denver

I just don't see Chip going through the trouble to bring him here if he thought he was driving the price up. Like or hate his moves or him in general, Chip isn't an idiot.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Can you imagine how much he'll be adored here for stiffing the cowboys to become an eagle? This guy will be a Philly hero if he puts up #s.

He's mot likely signing here because they offered more money. Or they could be now be offering around the same as the Eagles but he felt disrespected by their lack of interest.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
Chip just cancelled his Pro Day visit to Oregon for this

I mean I am sure he knows all the Oregon players inside and out and doesn't need to attend their pro-day but it kind of speaks to their priority right now

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
He's mot likely signing here because they offered more money. Or they could be now be offering around the same as the Eagles but he felt disrespected by their lack of interest.

Eh, doesn't matter. People will still make it into 'he stiffed the cowboys to be an eagle', and im OK with that :laugh:

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

And college roommate with Bradford, who's been recruiting him heavily since Tuesday.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Chip just cancelled his Pro Day visit to Oregon for this

I mean I am sure he knows all the Oregon players inside and out and doesn't need to attend their pro-day but it kind of speaks to their priority right now

I think Chip has only been to Clemson's pro day. He wasn't at UCLA's the other day or USC's yesterday.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
And this is where I'll disagree with you. There are plenty of executives (GMs and coaches) who've "been around it their whole lives" who are godawful at their job. Matt Millen, Wayne Gretzky, Reuben Amaro, Jr. I'd even argue that Paul Holmgren falls into this category, because while he gets talent, he absolutely was unable to understand value in the context of being a GM. Studying film and being around the game and all that does give you a leg up, but you're committing the ultimate appeal to authority logical fallacy here.

Simply because a GM doesn't succeed or even fails miserably, does not mean that you know more than them. Once again, do you think Matt Millen got his job because of his experience working for his dad in an office building, or do you think he has some football acumen? He might not have been a good GM, he might have been the worst ever, but that doesn't mean by default you or anyone else is smarter than him, even if you didn't agree with his moves. He made some bad choices and had a lot of high draft picks bust, but at the time those picks weren't some crazy outlandish move that an idiot could make. I'm not at all saying Matt Millen was some great GM, but just because he sucked doesn't mean you are smarter.

What a bunch of ******** that was. Seriously, throw some more cliches in, please, about where I get my information from. It's obviously only from terrible hack sportswriters and sports talk radio, and that was obviously my entire argument that learning from there makes one better qualified.

Ok, from where do you get your football knowledge? Did you play football growing up? Do you play it now? Do you study film? When you do, for what are you looking? Do you have the copies of the playbook to make sure guys are running the right routes, making the right reads, and blocking in the right scheme?

I think the part you miss is that we have evidence that in some cases, fans do know more. Perhaps you've heard of Bill James? Or the entire Sabremetrics community that revolutionized baseball? How many of them were baseball lifers, who had watched every pitch and had decades of expertise? Oh, that's right, NONE. They were fans who were passionate about the game and had a background that enabled them to get new insights into the game because they did NOT have that baseball lifer background. In fact, the team that followed the "baseball lifer" thing and ignored the approach created by those fans is the Phillies. And it turns out fans who paid attention to the statistical approach DID know more than the people running that org. They called signing older players to those deals being a problem, they called the decline of the Phillies aging core to be a problem, they saw certain players providing no or poor value to the team (hi Jonathan Papelbon!) when the "professionals" couldn't.

I don't believe I ever said that no fan was ever smarter than a GM. I'm talking about as a whole. I would find it pretty shocking if all the people posting on here were experts in the field of statistics or have experience developing and coaching young athletes. Sure, there might be some, but for the most part, we as a whole are not anywhere near the same level as these guys. We don't have a staff people feeding us information. So again I point back to my point...on what do you base your opinions? Do you just read what someone else wrote and agree with it? Why would you agree with? Because it fits the narrative of what you want to happen? Because your experience in the same field gives you confidence in him that he is right? Or maybe you do have access to all the film and you have a keen eye for what to look for in a player.

There's the same thing happening in hockey. The analytics movement was driven initially by fans (Tyler Dellow, BSH's guy who's name escapes me at the moment). Football has something somewhat similar, although the same movement of analytics folks into front offices has not been seen (or trumpeted).

Again, that's fine. Analytics can help teams for sure and that is coming to the forefront in a lot sports. It is not a replacement for anything though, and simply because a handful of people are using this, doesn't mean that once again you are an expert because you read BSH's blog or reviewed the advanced stats on Player X.

I understand your position here on the forums is to play the "support the management" role. You backed Holmgren constantly, even when his deals were indefensible. I get it, and that's fine. But don't insult our intelligence with appeal to authority fallacies or strawman arguments about debating physics. There are tools out there to help dedicated fans understand the game better, and many fans take advantage of those. There's also the ability, when you're removed from a situation, to take stock in a way those invested in it deeply are unable to.

I'm not a "support the management" guy. I'm a guy that a) let's things pan out before I scream from the top of my lungs that a move is going to be terrible and b) will defer to experts when it is something about which I have little no experience. I defended Homer and when I was wrong about it I owned up to it, but most of it was defending against knee jerk reactions to little things (slight overpayments, giving out those NTCs that were such a problem, letting the great Erik Gustuffsson and Joacim Erikksson walk, etc).

For Bradford, it's not about him being "a great fit for Chip's offense", it's that if you look at it analytically you can see it's terrible value, and most likely a bad move from a football standpoint. See, for example, Bill Barnwell's article from yesterday about the trades, and Bradford's passing chart where he appears to be unable to throw downfield with any success despite the people who came in for him being able to do so. Is it a "guess"? If we're going to define a "guess" as any judgement made on a player or potential outcome given a set of initial data and history on players/outcomes arising from similar situations, you've just defined every decision or judgement ever given by anyone in the history of humanity a "guess". That's fine, but then don't pretend that the pros aren't guessing too.

At least if the pros are guessing they are guessing based on something in which they have experience, not based on something they read from a blog or saw on SportsCenter. Now again, I know that was a point of contention from my earlier posts, so again I will ask, on what do you base your opinions about these things? Are you doing independent research or are you just agreeing with what someone else said because it sounds right? Or do you have a background in whatever the topic is?

It's like arguing about climate change. People with no scientific background whatsoever will defend or attack the issue with great authority but in the end, neither know what they are talking about. Your just guessing.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
amazing how someone can write so much and be so very wrong :rolly:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So you guys honestly think that you are smarter than these folks? Like legitimately. You think you could do a better job? Is it just sports, or do you know more than your doctor too? What is your background in finance...maybe you guys should start investing. You probably could represent yourself in court too. I'm sure you all fix your own cars. Could you guys design your houses or would you hire an architect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad