OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Eagles Defeat Giants 27-7

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Wow I am surprised how scared Bradford has looked. He turned it on in the second quarter, but throughout the game he just looks gun shy. Maybe I am reading too much into it because of the preconceived notion about Bradford and his propensity to get injured, but it is reminiscent of how Gary Nova used to look for Rutgers when he would just look like a panic stricken child in the pocket. Only difference was Gary Nova seemed to play better when he looked like that as opposed to being calm, and Bradford looks like ****.

i don't really agree with the notion that bradford looks like **** at all. are you watching the same QB? he sure doesn't look spectacular, but he's made some good plays and showed what he's capable of doing when given time in the pocket. you have to remember, this line is absolutely atrocious. there is NO run blocking whatsoever and the pass blocking is getting comical at this point. When opposing defenses know your line is incapable of creating holes for a run game, they're going to drop back into coverage and send as many guys up front at your QB as are available... not really a whole lot Sam Bradford can do except get sacked or try and get the ball away as quick as possible... the latter of which is also not too simple when none of your receivers can catch the ball. He has a HELL, and i mean a HELL of a lot working against him and hasn't exactly had even close to ideal circumstance to be successful. to be honest, sam bradford is absolutely one of this teams LEAST concerning players. give him an NFL calibre o-line and a chance to run a functional offense and then we can judge his game fairly.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
i don't really agree with the notion that bradford looks like **** at all. are you watching the same QB? he sure doesn't look spectacular, but he's made some good plays and showed what he's capable of doing when given time in the pocket. you have to remember, this line is absolutely atrocious. there is NO run blocking whatsoever and the pass blocking is getting comical at this point. When opposing defenses know your line is incapable of creating holes for a run game, they're going to drop back into coverage and send as many guys up front at your QB as are available... not really a whole lot Sam Bradford can do except get sacked or try and get the ball away as quick as possible... the latter of which is also not too simple when none of your receivers can catch the ball. He has a HELL, and i mean a HELL of a lot working against him and hasn't exactly had even close to ideal circumstance to be successful. to be honest, sam bradford is absolutely one of this teams LEAST concerning players. give him an NFL calibre o-line and a chance to run a functional offense and then we can judge his game fairly.

Regardless of the reason (O-Line, Run blocking, whatever), he just doesn't look comfortable to me. He looked a lot better in the second half, but he looks like he is just not at ease. Which may be why a lot of his throws have been over or under thrown this season.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Regardless of the reason (O-Line, Run blocking, whatever), he just doesn't look comfortable to me. He looked a lot better in the second half, but he looks like he is just not at ease. Which may be why a lot of his throws have been over or under thrown this season.

but in this case, you can't say "regardless of o-line or blocking". that's like saying "well i know giroux didn't have a stick but he needs to score there". Again, he has less than 0 time to calculate his throws. it's really not easy to be comfortable and make good throws when you KNOW that as soon as you snap the ball, they're sending 4 guys through your o-line of infants.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
but in this case, you can't say "regardless of o-line or blocking". that's like saying "well i know giroux didn't have a stick but he needs to score there". Again, he has less than 0 time to calculate his throws. it's really not easy to be comfortable and make good throws when you KNOW that as soon as you snap the ball, they're sending 4 guys through your o-line of infants.

There are teams with bad O-Lines every year. I'm not talking about his stats. I'm not talking about the team's record. I'm talking about the fact that he looks scared or uncomfortable. A QB can have a bad O-Line and still not look scared. He may still lose the game. He may still get sacked. He may still make bad throws. But he doesn't have too look to scared and/or uncomfortable, which I think Bradford does.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The run blocking problems get magnified when Demarco is in the game. Chip insists on running the outside zone play with him and its a 5 yard loss everytime. That's not his game. Set him up offset in the shotgun (if that's what you insist on) and get him going downhill. Sproles and Mathews have run well considering the circumstances.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
There are teams with bad O-Lines every year. I'm not talking about his stats. I'm not talking about the team's record. I'm talking about the fact that he looks scared or uncomfortable. A QB can have a bad O-Line and still not look scared. He may still lose the game. He may still get sacked. He may still make bad throws. But he doesn't have too look to scared and/or uncomfortable, which I think Bradford does.

i agree, he does look scared and uncomfortable, but im saying that i don't really think that's his fault nor can i blame him for looking that way. there are teams with bad O-lines every year, but i can honestly say i don't remember a line looking this bad... at least not in a LONG time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Chip Kelly is getting exposed as the horrendous coach he is.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
The run blocking problems get magnified when Demarco is in the game. Chip insists on running the outside zone play with him and its a 5 yard loss everytime. That's not his game. Set him up offset in the shotgun (if that's what you insist on) and get him going downhill. Sproles and Mathews have run well considering the circumstances.

I think the problem is the area where we'd want Murray to run is the same area that the D lineman are shooting through and blowing up plays. A designed cutback would probably work a little, and I still don't get why we have no split back formations.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think the problem is the area where we'd want Murray to run is the same area that the D lineman are shooting through and blowing up plays. A designed cutback would probably work a little, and I still don't get why we have no split back formations.
I'd rather him run up the gut and gain nothing than run the outside zone for -5 everytime. You have 5 offensive lineman matched up against 3 or 4 down defensive lineman. Even if a guard is out of his weight class, you can double team to help him out (whether a guy misses an assignment is another thing). Mathews and Sproles can hit the small cutback lanes. They are better athletes. Murray is a high cut runner that struggles with change of direction.

Another thing is the snap count. Jaws said this two weeks ago. The cadence is so predictable. The D-Line are getting off the ball before the offensive lineman.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'd rather him run up the gut and gain nothing than run the outside zone for -5 everytime. You have 5 offensive lineman matched up against 3 or 4 down defensive lineman. Even if a guard is out of his weight class, you can double team to help him out (whether a guy misses an assignment is another thing). Mathews and Sproles can hit the small cutback lanes. They are better athletes. Murray is a high cut runner that struggles with change of direction.

Another thing is the snap count. Jaws said this two weeks ago. The cadence is so predictable. The D-Line are getting off the ball before the offensive lineman.

I don't have the faith that they'd be able to put a hat on a hat and move the line of scrimmage, but I agree that they should try. It is better than misusing him and taking a 5 yard loss. The snap count is something I noticed too. I do really think they need some misdirection though. The defenses are being super aggressive, and they need to try to take advantage of that. If the RB is to the right we're sweeping left, if he's lined up left we're sweeping right. It's too easy right now. I think the O-line's struggles have sucked the creativity out of the offense.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Could of have Tyrod Taylor for basically nothing, instead of 13MM/yr Bradford

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

This is what I don't understand. It's as plain as day to everyone besides Chip.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't have the faith that they'd be able to put a hat on a hat and move the line of scrimmage, but I agree that they should try. It is better than misusing him and taking a 5 yard loss. The snap count is something I noticed too. I do really think they need some misdirection though. The defenses are being super aggressive, and they need to try to take advantage of that. If the RB is to the right we're sweeping left, if he's lined up left we're sweeping right. It's too easy right now. I think the O-line's struggles have sucked the creativity out of the offense.
They didn't move people when they led the league in rushing in 2013 either, but they also didn't blow assignments or get hurt either.

First down is killing this team. It's 2nd and 3rd and long every drive. Not to mention its a drop or negative run that kills the flow of the tempo. Chip doesn't have an elaborate offensive scheme that is going to beat defenses regularly. Its all about tempo, and wearing out the defense, and taking advantage of the supposed edge in conditioning. Without it, they are a nothing offense.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
They didn't move people when they led the league in rushing in 2013 either, but they also didn't blow assignments or get hurt either.

First down is killing this team. It's 2nd and 3rd and long every drive. Not to mention its a drop or negative run that kills the flow of the tempo. Chip doesn't have an elaborate offensive scheme that is going to beat defenses regularly. Its all about tempo, and wearing out the defense, and taking advantage of the supposed edge in conditioning. Without it, they are a nothing offense.

Where is the tempo though? This offense looks like they are taking their sweet ass time!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Where is the tempo though? This offense looks like they are taking their sweet ass time!

Starts with 1st down. No gains and negative yards kill it. And he doesn't have enough confidence in his personnel to risk going 3 and out in 30 seconds. So instead they hold of a little and go 3 and out in 45 seconds.

The only semblance of the tempo that we've seen is in the 2nd half of the Atlanta game (and in preseason :laugh:.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

I don't entirely agree with that. Peters and Kelce in particular were consistently getting to the second level and blowing up LB's and Safeties. It's not a power running game, but they were getting off the ball and moving people.

And yea first downs and missed opportunities are killing them. They can't establish tempo because they have no positive plays.

Can't get it started if you're constantly screwing up. They can't string positive plays together so they can't establish the tempo.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't entirely agree with that. Peters and Kelce in particular were consistently getting to the second level and blowing up LB's and Safeties. It's not a power running game, but they were getting off the ball and moving people.
Yeah they got to the 2nd level (Mathis and Lane too), which is what made them great, but they didn't blow people off the ball. That's why they struggled in the redzone. They will never be that kind of line as long as Chip is here.

The biggest thing is that unit stayed healthy and played a full season together and developed the chemistry needed to play in a zone blocking system. Right now its musical chairs and you see the results. Looks like a free-for-all out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad