OT: Philadelphia Eagles: It’ll Take More Than A Few Bounces To Knock Our Crown Off Part Eight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Interesting take on Jernigan, didn’t know the team could just walk away from a contract for a non-football related injury, especially since he came back for the playoffs. I figure the Eagles will just use one of their two Post-June 1 cut designations on him and only take a $2 million dead cap hit for next year (the other $4 million would roll over to the following season). Getting out of a contract scot-free would be immensely helpful.

It's because however he did it was a violation of his contract. According to Field Yates, it effectively makes 2019, 2020 and 2021 team option years with no guaranteed money. OverTheCap and Spotrac seem to have the original details still up where he'd have 11 mil guaranteed following this season, but apparently there are no longer any guarantees and we can get out with no hit.

The injury easily could have ended Jernigan’s time in Philadelphia, with the Eagles releasing him and declining to pay him being that he suffered the injury during an off-season workout in March. But in a generous gesture, the Eagles reworked his contract and now will pay him $3 million guaranteed this season, but no longer will be liable for the $11 million guaranteed that was due next season, as part of the four-year $48M extension he signed after being acquired in a trade with Baltimore.
Jernigan underwent the back surgery last week with Dr. Robert Watkins, per a source.
Under terms of the new contract, the final three years of Jernigan’s deal are now option years, with Jernigan scheduled to make $11M in 2019, $12M in 2020 and $12M in 2021, as was the case under the previous terms, however none of that money is now guaranteed.
Source

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Guys that could return, but would be pricy are: Graham (10+) and Hicks (4-6)

I was really curious about potential Hicks numbers too. Solak said on a post-Bears game pod that he reached out to Jason Fitzgerald, who said the 4s were in the right range. They might be priced in.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The worst thing about the loss is that football season is over.

The second worst thing is that we get to wonder for weeks or months or years what would’ve happened if Alshon had caught that ball, two minute warning with 1:55 remaining, 3rd and 4 at the New Orleans 22, trailing by 6.

That depends on how much time is left on the board after the Eagles score. One of the worst places to be is up by one with a 40-60 seconds left while facing Brees.

Reactions: baudib1

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
The first mock draft I see has us taking a guy I went to school with lol. I’d rather draft Oline though.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
If I was San Diego I’d take a look at Foles. Rivers is way too emo, and isn’t what I consider a teammate you want to fight for. Foles on the other hand is the type I see players rallying behind, and has proven Super Bowl pedigree. Put Foles with those receivers, improve the o line, and I think they’d be a favorite.

They’ll probably still be a favorite unless they’re losing a bunch of players, but personally I like their chances better with Foles.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
If I was San Diego I’d take a look at Foles. Rivers is way too emo, and isn’t what I consider a teammate you want to fight for. Foles on the other hand is the type I see players rallying behind, and has proven Super Bowl pedigree. Put Foles with those receivers, improve the o line, and I think they’d be a favorite.

They’ll probably still be a favorite unless they’re losing a bunch of players, but personally I like their chances better with Foles.

Rivers won't be supplanted unless he wants to be..ie retire..i think he is a Charger for life unless there is a guaranteed place he could be moved to that will earn him a ring..didn't watch the game but looks like they got no running game going and the D just didn't show up..sad cause for a change they were relatively healthy...now i just hope the Chiefs win..i can't watch another SB with the Pats in it lol

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
There just isn’t too many options for Foles. Denver, Jacksonville (reportedly interested in Flacco), Arizona maybe? Am I missing a big one here? Oakland potentially. Miami is tanking so they are out. Giants could jump in if Foles goes UFA.

As I think more about Foles and a trade, I feel it becomes less likely. The QB market looks like it will actually have NFL starters for once too. Flacco, bortles, Foles, and Tannehill all will be out there.

Maybe if Jacksonville wants him badly they will give us Ramsey for Foles if they miss on Flacco

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I was really curious about potential Hicks numbers too. Solak said on a post-Bears game pod that he reached out to Jason Fitzgerald, who said the 4s were in the right range. They might be priced in.

Agreed, I'm really not too sure to expect- both in term and AAV. Bradham is on a good contract and I'd be fine with bringing back Hicks on a 2 year, 9 mil contract with a 3rd year team option for 6 mil. Bradham seems to play better with him and given the move towards nickel and dime personnel, I'd be satisfied with those 2. We're not going to have much to play with in FA, so the more guys that we can retain on a solid price, I'm all in for.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Agreed, I'm really not too sure to expect- both in term and AAV. Bradham is on a good contract and I'd be fine with bringing back Hicks on a 2 year, 9 mil contract with a 3rd year team option for 6 mil. Bradham seems to play better with him and given the move towards nickel and dime personnel, I'd be satisfied with those 2. We're not going to have much to play with in FA, so the more guys that we can retain on a solid price, I'm all in for.
I disagree...we should have some $$ for FA.

Currently 12m over. 47 guys under contract.
Foles (20.6m 2m dead) will be cut.
Jernigan (11m no dead) will be cut or restructured.
Peters (10.6 2.6 dead) should be cut or retire.
McLeod (9.9 4.5m dead) will be cut.
Chris Long (5.6m, 300k dead cap) can be cut or retire.
Agholor (9.4m 0 dead) can be cut or resigned to a better deal. I'm in favor of a long term deal for him.
Jason Kelce (6.5m 0 dead) can be cut or restructure. Tough to lose him with Brooks injury.

That's like at least 50m there. Assuming 10m for draft picks...that gives 30m ish to work with. Certainly can bring in one good UFA within that price...if we want.

Current UFAs who were active on the 53 man: Graham, Tate, Lovato, Hicks, sproles, elliot. Elliot and Lovato should be back and have insignificant contracts.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, and Denver all need a starting QB. Washington might also since Alex Smith's future is up in the air. The Raiders are another team to watch with rumors that they are looking to move on from Carr.

With this being a poor QB class for free agency and the draft the Eagles should be able to create a trade market for Foles.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, and Denver all need a starting QB. Washington might also since Alex Smith's future is up in the air. The Raiders are another team to watch with rumors that they are looking to move on from Carr.

With this being a poor QB class for free agency and the draft the Eagles should be able to create a trade market for Foles.

I'd add Pittsburgh to the list if Ben retires. Also, not sure what direction the Bengals would want to move in. Maybe their new coach wants to move on from Dalton?

trostol

Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

As a Bucs fan..sadly you are wrong...they are sticking with Winston...I wish they would move on from him but they won't be...kid needs to get his shit together

trostol

Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I will take your word for it. They are morons if they stick with him though.

Not a fan of the Bucs ownership...they seem more invested in ManU than the Bucs..but we do have a new coach coming in that said Winston os his kinda guy..so I am willing to see what another year and vastly better coach can do...besides our issues are bad o-line and bad D which they have to address if they are going to have a winning season again in my lifetime

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

Agholor (9.4m 0 dead) can be cut or resigned to a better deal. I'm in favor of a long term deal for him.
Jason Kelce (6.5m 0 dead) can be cut or restructure. Tough to lose him with Brooks injury.

That's like at least 50m there. Assuming 10m for draft picks...that gives 30m ish to work with. Certainly can bring in one good UFA within that price...if we want.

Current UFAs who were active on the 53 man: Graham, Tate, Lovato, Hicks, sproles, elliot. Elliot and Lovato should be back and have insignificant contracts.
I think McLeod might restructure. Others could restructure as well easily creating more space. I’m never worried about cap. We also get 6 million in carry over cap I believe.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA

While I agree with most of the above cuts for the most part, it's not just that we have 30M to throw around however we'd like. You've got to leave about 10M for draft picks, which brings that down to 20M. Additionally, Kelce will not be cut. He could certainly retire but he will not be cut. He's on a great contract for a guy who has graded out as the best center in football over the past 3 years and is the captain of the O-Line. McLeod will also not be cut. He could be restructured but the cap savings (5M) isn't enough to get a good replacement in FA, so it's probably not worth it unless they plan to move Maddox there full time.

So let's say that McLeod does end up getting cut but not Kelce, you're looking at closer to 15M at that point. Elliott, Lovato and Sudfeld collectively add up to around 4 M. We're now looking at 11M with a hole at LB, WR, RB, S & DT. DT will be addressed through the draft. RB will likely be a combo of free agency/trade and the draft. WR will likely be the draft and a guy like Matthews returning. Keeping a guy like Hicks is valuable and I think he'll be retained at about 4.5 mil. A guy like Bennie Logan could be brought back for depth as well.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
JDF as Jacksonville's new OC certainly doesn't hurt the chances of them wanting Foles.
bortles dead cap is like 16m. I don't think there is anyway they can get out of that this year.

They likely could not trade for Foles and risk he won't restructure.

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
While I agree with most of the above cuts for the most part, it's not just that we have 30M to throw around however we'd like. You've got to leave about 10M for draft picks, which brings that down to 20M. Additionally, Kelce will not be cut. He could certainly retire but he will not be cut. He's on a great contract for a guy who has graded out as the best center in football over the past 3 years and is the captain of the O-Line. McLeod will also not be cut. He could be restructured but the cap savings (5M) isn't enough to get a good replacement in FA, so it's probably not worth it unless they plan to move Maddox there full time.

So let's say that McLeod does end up getting cut but not Kelce, you're looking at closer to 15M at that point. Elliott, Lovato and Sudfeld collectively add up to around 4 M. We're now looking at 11M with a hole at LB, WR, RB, S & DT. DT will be addressed through the draft. RB will likely be a combo of free agency/trade and the draft. WR will likely be the draft and a guy like Matthews returning. Keeping a guy like Hicks is valuable and I think he'll be retained at about 4.5 mil. A guy like Bennie Logan could be brought back for depth as well.
long, Jernigan, Peters, and foles is roughly 40...-13(currently over cap) = 27.

All I'm saying is I think....if they have a good target....they can probably get ONE FA in the 8m range.

My issue with McLeod is due to the injury...but you are probably right...he's probably back. There are a few other options for some minor $$ as well like wisnewski, although the Brooks injury again makes me this more iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad