YEM

Mar 7, 2010
not sure if Dallas looks good or Giants are making them look good

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

giphy.webp

Not that Wallace is some god send but until Jeffrey comes back, sheeeeesh.

Reactions: Striiker

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
As much as I can't stand people making boneheaded decisions like what Blount did, I actually don't really have a problem with it. At that point, they were out of the game, the team has shown absolutely no fight in either game, and their quarterback just took a hard hit out of bounds. It wasn't a dirty hit but still should have gotten a reaction from the team. Nobody seemed to care and he made a statement. A lot of guys talked about Blount's leadership role last year on this team, which wasn't that well publicized, but teams need guys like that.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Alright, I'm gonna go on a little rant here and you guys are gonna listen to me because you don't have a choice:

I don't like the way that Perkins was used but I get it. What I don't understand is how Aiken was cut from the team 2 weeks ago. Then they bring him back in and suddenly feel that he deserves the #2 WR role? Yes, I understand that we're dealing with a Jeffery injury and Wallace went down, but how did Gibson and Carter both make the team over him, yet 2 weeks later he's playing over both of them? This isn't to say either of them really deserve much of anything, but I just don't see consistency there.

We really need to rely more on the run. This is how last season started as well with an over-reliance on the pass. Especially with Foles playing and Wentz coming back with a knee injury, we should be running the ball close to 30 times per game with the backs. 20 is not enough.
Foles had 53 planned dropbacks yesterday. We had 22 planned runs. I get that we were losing but this happened from the get go, when this was a 7 point game.

I know that this will likely seem as an overreaction to the game, but I've felt this way for a while - I think Schwartz is the most overrated coach in the league. I do 100% agree with the emphasis on the defensive line and think that's the most important area on any 4-3 defense. However, he is insanely stubborn, and I cannot stand how soft he plays his defensive backs. The front four was not getting enough pressure on Fitzpatrick - you need to get creative ways to get in his face. They did that last week against the Falcons but didn't even try against the Bucs. He also didn't adjust his coverage on the receivers for quite some time and they got burned over and over and over.

My last and largest gripe is with Jalen Mills - kind of. It's not directly with him because he's not making any grave mistakes, but it's more with Schwartz than anything. I've said this since his rookie year. He's fine to play outside as a fill-in but he simply does not have the physical skills to be a legitimate starting CB in this league. He doesn't have the athleticism or size to maintain out there. Typically guys can get away without having one by having the other in spades. He has neither. He belongs in the slot where he can use his short area quickness and physicality but he will struggle outside.
My problem here is that the Eagles waltzed into training camp without giving Jones, a player with superior size and athleticism, an opportunity to get time outside. At the least, in nickel formations, Jones should be outside and Mills should move inside.
Mills did absolutely nothing to justify himself as a no-questions-asked starter. He was graded as the worst CB in the NFL in his rookie year (although I think he was better than and to be fair, he was placed in a bad situation) and in his "impressive second year," graded out as the 60th best in the league. However, they made it clear from the beginning that if Jones would see the field, it would be as a nickel back, despite all signs showing that he has so much more potential than Mills. Jones has looked great the first two weeks of the season while Mills has been picked on consistently again. Until they get a clue and realize that maybe Mills leadership abilities don't automatically warrant a starting spot, he's going to continue to be a focal point for opposing offenses.

And now I'm done. I feel better
_OkUwjUq.jpg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Alright, I'm gonna go on a little rant here and you guys are gonna listen to me because you don't have a choice:

I don't like the way that Perkins was used but I get it. What I don't understand is how Aiken was cut from the team 2 weeks ago. Then they bring him back in and suddenly feel that he deserves the #2 WR role? Yes, I understand that we're dealing with a Jeffery injury and Wallace went down, but how did Gibson and Carter both make the team over him, yet 2 weeks later he's playing over both of them? This isn't to say either of them really deserve much of anything, but I just don't see consistency there.

We really need to rely more on the run. This is how last season started as well with an over-reliance on the pass. Especially with Foles playing and Wentz coming back with a knee injury, we should be running the ball close to 30 times per game with the backs. 20 is not enough.
Foles had 53 planned dropbacks yesterday. We had 22 planned runs. I get that we were losing but this happened from the get go, when this was a 7 point game.

I know that this will likely seem as an overreaction to the game, but I've felt this way for a while - I think Schwartz is the most overrated coach in the league. I do 100% agree with the emphasis on the defensive line and think that's the most important area on any 4-3 defense. However, he is insanely stubborn, and I cannot stand how soft he plays his defensive backs. The front four was not getting enough pressure on Fitzpatrick - you need to get creative ways to get in his face. They did that last week against the Falcons but didn't even try against the Bucs. He also didn't adjust his coverage on the receivers for quite some time and they got burned over and over and over.

My last and largest gripe is with Jalen Mills - kind of. It's not directly with him because he's not making any grave mistakes, but it's more with Schwartz than anything. I've said this since his rookie year. He's fine to play outside as a fill-in but he simply does not have the physical skills to be a legitimate starting CB in this league. He doesn't have the athleticism or size to maintain out there. Typically guys can get away without having one by having the other in spades. He has neither. He belongs in the slot where he can use his short area quickness and physicality but he will struggle outside.
My problem here is that the Eagles waltzed into training camp without giving Jones, a player with superior size and athleticism, an opportunity to get time outside. At the least, in nickel formations, Jones should be outside and Mills should move inside.
Mills did absolutely nothing to justify himself as a no-questions-asked starter. He was graded as the worst CB in the NFL in his rookie year (although I think he was better than and to be fair, he was placed in a bad situation) and in his "impressive second year," graded out as the 60th best in the league. However, they made it clear from the beginning that if Jones would see the field, it would be as a nickel back, despite all signs showing that he has so much more potential than Mills. Jones has looked great the first two weeks of the season while Mills has been picked on consistently again. Until they get a clue and realize that maybe Mills leadership abilities don't automatically warrant a starting spot, he's going to continue to be a focal point for opposing offenses.

And now I'm done. I feel better
_OkUwjUq.jpg

I thought we have run well in these first 2 games. Especially in the red zone. Scoing td's that are not goal line runs are very hard to do in the red zone.

In regards to Sidney Jones, he is not the player we thought we were getting plain and simple. He really did not look good in camp, or preseason. If he was not a 2nd round pick he wouldn't be on the team. He will never be able to regain that athleticism he lost from the acheliies tear. He is not a viable optiona at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad