OT: Philadelphia Eagles: 2019 Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I don't think really that releasing Sendejo would factor into the compensation pick formula (but I don't know much about it tbh) and I am shocked that nobody has picked up our lesser UFA guys..
At this point I could even see Ajayi come back on a 1 yr deal...
Teams are waiting for that deadline (last year it was May 8th) to sign most of the scrap heap players.

Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart | Over the Cap

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Teams are waiting for that deadline (last year it was May 8th) to sign most of the scrap heap players.

Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart | Over the Cap

Ah nice link thank you.
I knew about the deadline but are you sure that signing and then just releasing will remove Sendejo from the chart?
Thats my issue. That would be a huge loophole that the NFLPA can not be happy with.

Just stock up on players and then release them a day before the deadline to receive the compensation and leave the players hanging.

I also wonder why Howie is not trading next years 6th rounder for a camp body of some team right now that won't gain any comp picks anyways with the implied condition of the deal that they sign Ajayi to a 1 yr deal...

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Bring Timmy back was such a solid move. While he keeps getting hurt, when he was healthy he was REALLY good against the run. Great to backup Cox & Jackson

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Ah nice link thank you.
I knew about the deadline but are you sure that signing and then just releasing will remove Sendejo from the chart?
Thats my issue. That would be a huge loophole that the NFLPA can not be happy with.

Just stock up on players and then release them a day before the deadline to receive the compensation and leave the players hanging.

I also wonder why Howie is not trading next years 6th rounder for a camp body of some team right now that won't gain any comp picks anyways with the implied condition of the deal that they sign Ajayi to a 1 yr deal...
Yeah, it's definitely a loop hole. I think I read about it in a Jimmy Kempinski article. In that scenario they could just bring back Sendejo (if he wants) to the same contract after May 8th. I doubt there's a team in the NFL that would prefer him instead of a 4th round pick, just the nature of the biz. And how a $1.2M player cancels out a $9M player is a problem itself...

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Probably going to see the Eagles do some manipulatiom to get that 4th round pick back. I would imagine they will cut Sendejo right after camp and then bring him back week 2. I seriously doubt they are essentially going to trade a 4 for Sendejo.

Reactions: Jtown

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah, it's definitely a loop hole. I think I read about it in a Jimmy Kempinski article. In that scenario they could just bring back Sendejo (if he wants) to the same contract after May 8th. I doubt there's a team in the NFL that would prefer him instead of a 4th round pick, just the nature of the biz. And how a $1.2M player cancels out a $9M player is a problem itself...
He would have to be on the opening day roster. So they could just cut him after camp, then bring back for week two. They would get the 4th round comp pick back and end up with a 3rd and two 4ths.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Kempski did write about this and you're both correct. Technically cutting either Sendejo or Fort would be the same thing from a Compensatory standpoint, but I can't imagine it would be Fort.

I don't think there's an actual hard date where he has to be cut, but rather that he has to be with the team for 10 weeks. I'm not positive and can't flip through the CBA at the moment, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad