OT: Philadelphia Eagles: 2019 Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
You have to consider that they added DeSean Jackson in this draft.

I don't think you'll ever see the Eagles make LB a priority. Another body would have been nice. But my biggest criticisms of this draft would merely be not moving Agholor, who's not a difference maker, and taking Thorson.

If Sanders is Brian Westbrook/Shady McCoy and Dillard becomes a 5-year starter at LT then the draft is a success and everything else is gravy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know enough about the picks to criticize anything, but coming up with only 5 picks and zero DB's or LB's seems like a fail

It's not like there are a lot of open roster spots.
Once you get past the first three rounds, a lot of additional picks would primarily meant a lot of names on the August waiver wire.

Howie has added a lot of 2nd/3rd year SFA who've been cut from other rosters, some of whom (Ridgeway, Hall) were those 4th rd picks people whine we didn't add. He likes these players b/c someone else spent the time coaching them, then let them go when there wasn't roster room.

The bottom 20 or so of a NFL roster are always in flux, Howie has picked up on what NE has been doing for two decades, use veterans FAs and SFAs as well as UDFAs to fill out those spots, and use third draft picks as currency to move around the draft or pick up veterans.

In the end, you invite 90, keep 53, stash 10 on the PS and say goodbye to 27. While 10-15 of that 27 are camp bodies, each year there's 5-10 who end up on someone else's roster or PS.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Like deadhead said there isn't much room so luckily they didn't have to feel as if they needed to chase names, that usually gets you into a bad drafting situation.
If you want to look at LB then they addressed it after with the pickup of Alfieri (5th-7th rd grade) and Edwards (4th-5th round grade).
I can't really fault them for who they picked, they got a top 15 OT at 22, they got a potential long term starting RB and with their WR situation, they got some insurance.
Unfortunately, the DB situation is over-crowed so adding to that would be difficult unless someone fell into their laps, which watching during the process I didn't see anyone who like Dillard fell into their laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad