OT: Philadelphia 76ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ridiculous block on the perimeter by Embiid, although probably not the smartest play.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Sure has, including that terrible call on AD. Ilyasova has been way better than anyone could have reasonably expected. Have to give Colangelo credit for it.

I know it's easy to say one year of lottery luck can help any franchise, but adding Fultz or Ball to this. Man.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Sure has, including that terrible call on AD. Ilyasova has been way better than anyone could have reasonably expected. Have to give Colangelo credit for it.

I know it's easy to say one year of lottery luck can help any franchise, but adding Fultz or Ball to this. Man.

That, and if they solve the situation at center things could get interesting pretty fast.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
lol. If Noel sticks around, they may win a few more. His defense alone will slow teams down. Okafor just allows a flood of points

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
One thing is for certain though. Nik is definitely better off the bench then starting. His play this game looked infinitely better then the past 2 or so when he started due to Covington injury.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA

The more I watch Fultz, the less I'm convinced he'll be a good fit in the offense. He's not a true point guard, which is ideal for our team, given that Simmons will be controlling the ball a good bit as well. However, I really don't think Fultz knows how to play without the ball. Unless he's operating with the ball in his hands, he doesn't look to have much of an impact on the game. It could also explain why he was such a late bloomer at DeMatha. That's why I'd absolutely love a guy like Klay who specializes in playing off the ball. Unfortunately, those are tough to find.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So I know that Noel has said some stuff that makes it look like he's looking for a trade (not sure if he officially requested one), but is there a chance that Okafor gets the boot and they keep Noel? I'm not a big BBall fan and really don't care, but as far as basketball players go, I've liked Noel since he was drafted because he wore an I Hate Sidney Crosby shirt once!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So I know that Noel has said some stuff that makes it look like he's looking for a trade (not sure if he officially requested one), but is there a chance that Okafor gets the boot and they keep Noel? I'm not a big BBall fan and really don't care, but as far as basketball players go, I've liked Noel since he was drafted because he wore an I Hate Sidney Crosby shirt once!

Well Noel has turned a bit and not so "I'm not playing anymore" crowd.

But all these guys want to play big minutes, they at least want to be given the chance, he can get huge money and play 35 mins a night on another team. He may suck and then not play those mins ever again, but he wants to prove it.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Ultimately I think they both get traded. Holmes is showing that he is a capable backup at C. Simmons and Saric should hold down the PF spot for years to come, so there just isn't a real need for either Noel or Okafor long term. Assuming Embiid stays healthy of course.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ultimately I think they both get traded. Holmes is showing that he is a capable backup at C. Simmons and Saric should hold down the PF spot for years to come, so there just isn't a real need for either Noel or Okafor long term. Assuming Embiid stays healthy of course.

Yeah I would think they want to keep Noel or Okafor in a worst-case scenario that Embid effs himself, which I would imagine will happen at some point given his size and health history.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
In a perfect world the Sixers and Noel could kiss and make up signing him to a Dieng contract and dump Okafor's detrimental game. They could guarantee themselves a top 5 defense for years to come.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
You cannot deny how effective Embiid is on the defensive side of the ball. +27 last night!

If you haven't noticed the Sixers starting unit can usually keep up with other team's starting units. It's usually when Okafor and co. (the bench) come in is when things go haywire. No surprise really.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
In case anybody didn't see/hear this:

"He's different than anybody that's been in this league in a long, long time," said Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry. "I'm happy that he's healthy, but I wish this would have been the second game of a back-to-back. He's a tremendous talent. He really is. I've never seen a guy that size and with that kind of strength that has such a soft touch. He shoots the ball with the touch of Steph Curry. It's so soft when it leaves his hand. And then he can post up and (do) some of the things he can do down there because of his size and his skill level. He's really, really good."

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
You cannot deny how effective Embiid is on the defensive side of the ball. +27 last night!

If you haven't noticed the Sixers starting unit can usually keep up with other team's starting units. It's usually when Okafor and co. (the bench) come in is when things go haywire. No surprise really.
The Sixers perform like the best defensive team in the NBA (101.4) when Embiid is on the floor. Off the floor they perform like the worst (112.5). Right now they stink offensively regardless but they play like the 25th rated team with him in the game compared to the worst when he's out. Unbelievable impact he has had so far. Only 353 total minutes but I don't expect those trends to change much. The offense should experience a huge bump when Simmons gets settled in.

Defensively it was a similar story to Noel's rookie year. 6th best when on, 25th when off.

Okafor has been a different story with his lack of positive impact. Last year the team had the worst O and worst D with him in the game. This year it's been the same thing, last on both. :laugh::cry:

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Watched the Kansas and Duke games today.

Josh Jackson would be an amazing prospect if he could shoot. Really struggles from the line, mid range, and from 3. His positives are plenty in that he shows rare commitment and intensity on the defensive end, he's as good of a passing wing player you will find, he's a good rebounder, he's super athletic and has a really nice touch inside the paint. Dribbling ability is okay but you can tell he's not super confident in it.

Jason Tatum absolutely looks like an NBA 4 man to me, physically and skill wise. He looks like he's about 6'9" with a super long wingspan and doesn't have all that great of athleticism. He's a strong rebounder and his love of mid range shots, unwillingness to take 3s, and lack of burst is best suited at PF. I don't like his potential on this team with Simmons. When he goes into a move the last thing he wants to do is pass the ball. His profile reminds me a lot of Jabari Parker of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad