OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don’t get Insider so I can’t see his rankings but from what I can see it seems that he ranks Doncic #1 in the draft?

Pelton said:
Doncic is naturally No. 1, and his 5.8 projected wins above replacement player (WARP) -- what we'd expect him to average over his first five seasons, discounting more distant ones to reward immediate returns -- are in fact the most for any of the 800-plus players I've projected dating back to 2003. Doncic tops Anthony Davis (5.5) for that honor, though it's worth noting that I don't have a projection for LeBron James out of St. Vincent-St. Mary High School or Dwight Howard the following year.

Source:
www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/23796252/2018-nba-draft-projections-kevin-pelton-luka-doncic-marvin-bagley-deandre-ayton

Ayton is second at 3.2 WARP. The other outlier vs expectations is Musa at 8 with 2.4 WARP.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don’t particularly like Pelton’s projections, but pointing to one thing he got wrong as defining a model’s uselessness is weak or trolling. Your choice.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don’t particularly like Pelton’s projections, but pointing to one thing he got wrong as defining a model’s uselessness is weak or trolling. Your choice.

I guess you were not paying attention to that year's draft then. Defending a prognosticator when you yourself lack the context is just as weak or trolling as you put it.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Bender was a horrible pick on draft day, so was Alex Len tbh, no doubt but there can be a middle ground.

Comparing Doncic to Bender isnt really fruitful as Doncic has polished skills at 19 that Bender didnt have then and doesnt have now.
Different tier of prospect completely.

The Great White Hype factor with Doncic is real but thats not his fault.
Americans and Euros are hungry for that kind of player to come in and impact.

Having watched a lot of his games in Europe I dont see how he doesnt at least make a couple All-star teams.
Goran Dragic is a quality NBA starter and Doncic plays EXACTLY the same style but at a more advanced level at a younger age.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I guess you were not paying attention to that year's draft then. Defending a prognosticator when you yourself lack the context is just as weak or trolling as you put it.

Completely missing the point. Bender is irrelevant. You cannot judge the worth of an entire model that tries to project players of every archetype from a dozen leagues by one prediction. At absolute best, it’s lazy. You’re going full Bayless here.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I watched some Real Madrid games and Doncic is extremely impressive. I’d say his all around offensive skills are above any other player in the draft at this point in time. The biggest question I would have would be his defense against NBA players. But he’s such a smart player, and in a switching system like the Sixers, I think he’d be ok.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I would also say that it’s wrong to say that Doncic lacks athleticism. What he lacks is explosive quickness, not the same thing.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What’s your opinion on including AAU stats?

I don’t know enough about AAU to pick apart the methods they use to incorporate this specific data and I strongly prefer saying that than talking out of my ass. For example, I know of one major model that uses Opposition-Adjusted Rate Stats as part of their AAU factors. There are probably 10 (or less) people in the world that can tell you if those make sense. What I can say is that I think trying is a necessary evil.

The way the college game is going, I trust the info that we’re gathering less and less without even getting into the sample size restrictions, even tossing out injuries like MPJ. Take Simmons for example. I remember we had a discussion about his defense and how it would translate. There’s no way to accurately quantify the effect of Johnny Jones going full Boeheim. Even if you thought you had one, you couldn’t get enough data for athletes of Simmons’ caliber and size to check correlation.

What makes the most sense to me as a complete outsider is checking to see whether specific Strengths/Weaknesses that you believe may be Swing Skills in the pros translate through every level you can find.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What makes the most sense to me as a complete outsider is checking to see whether specific Strengths/Weaknesses that you believe may be Swing Skills in the pros translate through every level you can find.
Yeah. I wish Pelton published the breakdown of the stats he used to get his projected WARP. He explains some in the write ups but not in the others. Like Tatum graded out like shit last year. Could we have seen this coming?

On another note I haven’t seen a model that grades Lonnie Walker anywhere near a lottery pick. I want to like him but he’s all projection at this point.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bender was a horrible pick on draft day, so was Alex Len tbh, no doubt but there can be a middle ground.

Comparing Doncic to Bender isnt really fruitful as Doncic has polished skills at 19 that Bender didnt have then and doesnt have now.
Different tier of prospect completely.

The Great White Hype factor with Doncic is real but thats not his fault.
Americans and Euros are hungry for that kind of player to come in and impact.

Having watched a lot of his games in Europe I dont see how he doesnt at least make a couple All-star teams.
Goran Dragic is a quality NBA starter and Doncic plays EXACTLY the same style but at a more advanced level at a younger age.

I was gonna say..Doncic is just a better Dragic.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah. I wish Pelton published the breakdown of the stats he used to get his projected WARP. He explains some in the write ups but not in the others. Like Tatum graded out like **** last year. Could we have seen this coming?

On another note I haven’t seen a model that grades Lonnie Walker anywhere near a lottery pick. I want to like him but he’s all projection at this point.

I missed so badly on Tatum that I went back and rewatched the same things I did before the draft and I still don't see it. I don't know if he wasn't comfortable in that system or hurt or what but he didn't have the explosion he had even in Summer League. O'Connor had him at 1 on his board, so it's not like no one saw it. I guess I'm just going to miss on those guys.

I haven't jumped too deeply into Walker because it feels like they have no real interest, but that's my impression as well. I want to, but the tea leaves seem to be saying 10+26 for Bridges or a move into the Top 5, assuming no Leonard trade.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I missed so badly on Tatum that I went back and rewatched the same things I did before the draft and I still don't see it. I don't know if he wasn't comfortable in that system or hurt or what but he didn't have the explosion he had even in Summer League. O'Connor had him at 1 on his board, so it's not like no one saw it. I guess I'm just going to miss on those guys.

I haven't jumped too deeply into Walker because it feels like they have no real interest, but that's my impression as well. I want to, but the tea leaves seem to be saying 10+26 for Bridges or a move into the Top 5, assuming no Leonard trade.
I'm a Duke fan and Tatum looked better with Boston in the playoffs this year than he ever did with Duke. He just didn't show the same type the burst and high end athleticism at Duke where he was almost strictly a jump shooter.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The workout that may transform the franchise
The Celtics were informed that Tatum was under the weather before he went through a second pre-draft workout for them last year. The Duke forward had already done one workout in Los Angeles in front of some of Boston's basketball staff

According to Gotham, Tatum put on a "clinic" in his second workout.
"Some of the best shooting I've ever seen," Gotham said.

The Celtics scouts had long liked Tatum — a star in his high-school class — but weren't sure of him during his lone season at Duke. The team had some doubts about his three-point shooting before the workout. He convinced them otherwise.

It's hard not to view Tatum as the focal point of the Celtics' rebuild. The then-19-year-old wowed in his rookie season with the utter ease with which he scored the ball. Some Celtics staffers have compared him to a young Pierce.

The Celtics have several intriguing young players. Rozier had a breakout playoff campaign and looked the part of a starting point guard. Brown may have All-Star potential. Tatum's ceiling is different — he may have MVP potential. It's not hard to imagine him slowly adding different skills to become a complete package.

Tatum showed it all in the postseason. In a 50-second span in the biggest game of his young career, Tatum crammed a dunk on LeBron James' head and then hit a step-back three
ESPN's Zach Lowe wrote that the Celtics value Tatum so highly that they may not trade him straight up for Kawhi Leonard. There are mitigating factors — injuries, contract situations — but it's nonetheless a hint at Tatum's worth to the Celtics

How the Celtics pulled off one of the greatest rebuilds ever to become the team that should terrify the NBA

Reactions: Jtown and BigToe

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
For the weeks leading up to the draft, i've been convinced that it'd be these 9 players who would be off the board by the time the Sixers pick at 10:
-Ayton
-Doncic
-Bagley
-Porter Jr
-Bamba
-Jackson Jr
-Carter Jr
-Young
-Mikal Bridges

However i've been skimming NBA draft twitter pretty religiously over the last couple days and i've picked up on a recurring rumor that Kevin Knox could possibly go top 10... probably to the Knicks, it seems. And if that's the case, i think Mikal Bridges to the Sixers is all but a lock.

I don't see them trading up for Doncic, they don't need another ball-dominant guard. And Porter Jr isn't going to be falling as far as some people seem to think he will.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm a Duke fan and Tatum looked better with Boston in the playoffs this year than he ever did with Duke. He just didn't show the same type the burst and high end athleticism at Duke where he was almost strictly a jump shooter.

Duke guys are hard to evaluate much like Dean Smith UNC players. Tatum and Issac were the two acc players that really stood out to me and as the season went on looked more and more like legitimate nba prospects. They could create their own shot, finish at teh basket and had nba positions. Imo leading up to the draft I was fully confident that Boston was going to select Tatum at 1 if they could not trade the pick. Everyone knew they were not goinig to go for another PG so it was obvious TATum was the guy.

I will never forgive Colangelo for that stupid trade for as long as I live.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Sixers fans be like: "Fultz is a bust!" After like 15 games played....
but 2 yrs of Okafor stinking up the joint: "He deserves another chance! He's still got potential!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad