Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I was trying to find the quote lmao.

Check back in like 20 minutes.

Edit: Found it

Did anyone hear on NBA Sirius radio David Griffin on the mock draft show? When they were talking about Orlando he mentioned how they need a point guard but Trae Young didn't fit their profile (I guess they have guys that used to be in Milwaukee who historically just draft the best athletes and then figure it out).

He said Colin Sexton was a better fit for what they (Milwaukee now Orlando) did historically because he's a much better athlete than Trae Young. Anyway, then he tied it to the Sixers. He said Orlando and Philly may be a great fit trade wise. Basically the trade was something to the effect of #6 and Biyombo (who they are trying to salary dump) for #10, #26 and a second or two. He was less clear on exactly what the Sixers would give up. He said the Sixers were trying very hard (may have even said desperately) to move up because their was a player projected in the top 5 that they absolutely loved. And of course, he said there was a chance he fell to 6. This was the first time I had heard this. The show was on last night I believe but I heard a replay of it driving to work this morning.

Here’s some stuff about the Sixers scouting Mudiay.

I worked for the 76ers at the time, and Mudiay was a high-priority target for us. After the trade of Michael Carter-Williams midway through that previous season, we had a hole at point guard. We needed to know as much as we could about Mudiay to make the most informed decision possible, but circumstances were making that complicated.

We did everything we could. We acquired the film of all of his games and watched them in painstaking detail. We recorded stats from that film. We compared his stats to other Americans who had played in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA), to get some sense of how his play measured up.

And what we found concerned us. Mudiay seemed to be lacking a burst around the basket, so that even in the CBA, a league not known for its defense, he was not an efficient scorer. For a player with a shaky shot who had not displayed good touch away from the basket, poor finishing at the rim and a below-average rate of drawing fouls were major red flags. Further testing during his workouts only deepened those fears. Mudiay needed to be a rim attacker, but we feared he didn’t have the athleticism for it.

Through three full NBA seasons, that analysis seems to have been correct. Mudiay has been one of the least efficient players in the NBA in each of those seasons. In particular, although he does take a high rate of shots at the basket, he has been a dreadful finisher. This past year is the first in which he made more than 50% of his shots at the basket.
Good stuff, thanks dude.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I was trying to find the quote lmao.

Check back in like 20 minutes.

Edit: Found it

Did anyone hear on NBA Sirius radio David Griffin on the mock draft show? When they were talking about Orlando he mentioned how they need a point guard but Trae Young didn't fit their profile (I guess they have guys that used to be in Milwaukee who historically just draft the best athletes and then figure it out).

He said Colin Sexton was a better fit for what they (Milwaukee now Orlando) did historically because he's a much better athlete than Trae Young. Anyway, then he tied it to the Sixers. He said Orlando and Philly may be a great fit trade wise. Basically the trade was something to the effect of #6 and Biyombo (who they are trying to salary dump) for #10, #26 and a second or two. He was less clear on exactly what the Sixers would give up. He said the Sixers were trying very hard (may have even said desperately) to move up because their was a player projected in the top 5 that they absolutely loved. And of course, he said there was a chance he fell to 6. This was the first time I had heard this. The show was on last night I believe but I heard a replay of it driving to work this morning.

Here’s some stuff about the Sixers scouting Mudiay.

I worked for the 76ers at the time, and Mudiay was a high-priority target for us. After the trade of Michael Carter-Williams midway through that previous season, we had a hole at point guard. We needed to know as much as we could about Mudiay to make the most informed decision possible, but circumstances were making that complicated.

We did everything we could. We acquired the film of all of his games and watched them in painstaking detail. We recorded stats from that film. We compared his stats to other Americans who had played in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA), to get some sense of how his play measured up.

And what we found concerned us. Mudiay seemed to be lacking a burst around the basket, so that even in the CBA, a league not known for its defense, he was not an efficient scorer. For a player with a shaky shot who had not displayed good touch away from the basket, poor finishing at the rim and a below-average rate of drawing fouls were major red flags. Further testing during his workouts only deepened those fears. Mudiay needed to be a rim attacker, but we feared he didn’t have the athleticism for it.

Through three full NBA seasons, that analysis seems to have been correct. Mudiay has been one of the least efficient players in the NBA in each of those seasons. In particular, although he does take a high rate of shots at the basket, he has been a dreadful finisher. This past year is the first in which he made more than 50% of his shots at the basket.

Interesting. Packaging 10 and 26 makes a lot of sense to me. This is probably the last high pick the Sixers will have for a while, might as well go for it. It raises the question obviously, of who they covet there. I can’t see them drafting a center or PG, so that would seem to rule out Ayton (obviously), Bamba, Young, and Sexton. Also, PF would seem a pretty weird choice given the way Dario has come along. Doesn’t really address their biggest need which is wing.

So I think that leaves three names that they would feel they might need to trade up for. Mikal Bridges, MPJr, and (yikes), Doncic. I have seen Doncic going as low as 5 I think, and I could just see Brett watching him and thinking “there’s my Manu Ginobili!”

MPJr has obvious appeal but the back has to be a concern. Do you trade up for the risk?

Bridges ticks all the boxes, and while I haven’t seen a mock that has him going in the top 5, I have seen him going closer to 5 than 10.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I've been thinking.
I do not want Leonard from San Antonio.

I could be wrong but he strikes me as the kind of player who could easily turn into a Turd.

The NBA is filled with examples of players who were very good players who just went down the toilet.

I wouldn't risk valuable players for him.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I've been thinking.

I could be wrong but he strikes me as the kind of player who could easily turn into a Turd.

The NBA is filled with examples of players who were very good players who just went down the toilet.

Eh, Inno. Most rankings have him as a top 5 player in the NBA, due to how elite his defense & offense is.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
as i said, i could be wrong.

But, i dont have a good feeling about him.

He strikes me as a player who could drop off a cliff.

And San Antonio doesn't trade away star players.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I dont know why LA keeps getting mentioned. They dont have a 1st this year, and if they were to trade their first next year in a deal that brings any of these players in...it sure as hell wouldn't be a lottery pick. Maybe I am biased but I would much rather have a combination of the Sixers assets or Celtics than the Lakers if I was trading a star player.

I would imagine the trade will be similar to what Paul George got (oladipo+sabonis) but a bit better. I wonder how execs around the league value Fultz, could be a great "buy low" player to target for a team looking for a mini-rebuild. I still am a heavy believer he will be a stud given time.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
NBA players go wherever they want to go. Kawhi doesn't seem to care about winning, unless he knows something about Lebron and George.

Even then, you got 3 guys and a bunch of what? I still think the Warriors take any team out there.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Also, David Aldridge made a great point. Are we to believe that with Pop at the helm they are trying to rebuild? Why would they trade to a team within their division, that has the potential to create a super team? I just dont see it. Not to mention, the Lakers would have to part with ingram/kuzma (cant see any scenario where Pop would want Lonzo on his team) which I doubt the Lakers would be willing to do.

edit: looks like Woj agrees "Indiana had little interest in Paul George trade w/ Lakers -- and that'll be case for Spurs too. Boston gives Spurs best building blocks of assets -- one of young forwards (likely Jaylen Brown), its own 18 pick/19 protected Kings pick, etc. Lonzo to Spurs? Don't hold your breath."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've been thinking.

That's an interesting take...

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
There aint a single sports franchise I despise more than the Lakers. Team has 10 horsehoes up its gilded ***

Reactions: JackStraw

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
If Kawhi IS traded to LA... i want Lonzo involved. I can guarantee you it'd drag Lavar out of whatever hole he's been hiding in. I would love to see him react to the Lakers discarding his son after only one season.

Also, i'd just like to go on record and state that out of the 3 superstars that i've seen potentially linked to the Sixers this offseason (Lebron, PG13, Kawhi), Kawhi is the one i want the least. Not after the year he just had and THAT contract situation, given what it'd cost to get him.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just weird to see a potential GM candidate floating out Sixers info.

I assume he means Doncic...

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just weird to see a potential GM candidate floating out Sixers info.

I assume he means Doncic...

A lineup of Simmons, Fultz, Doncic, Embiid, and Saric would make me, well... let’s just say “excited” and leave it at that. That lineup wouldn’t win the NBA championship next year, but in a year or two, lookout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad