OT: Philadelphia 76ers - Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen... He Was Number One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I don't think they botched that at all, that was a perfect result. Prove that you can hang with a winning team, and then get the L. It's necessary.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
I didn't watch the Sixers, the X-Files were on. Oddly enough I got 76ers lolz on that program as well. Mulder was investigating in Philadelphia at a crime scene and noticed a detail that required an individual with height. He said, "That's about Tim Duncan height. We can rule out the Sixers because they can't find the rim."

:clap:

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Noel has such butter fingers.....him and Ish were non-clutch is the final minutes of the 4th especially Ish. Enjoyable game until the final minutes and in OT. They couldn't hit any big shots.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Noel has such butter fingers.....him and Ish were non-clutch is the final minutes of the 4th especially Ish. Enjoyable game until the final minutes and in OT. They couldn't hit any big shots.

That's been a recurring theme this season. They basically have no clutch scorers. Maybe Okafor will become one but he isn't now.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Them iso-ing Ish in the last 5 minutes is pretty comical. Clutch loss though. It's about the big picture people.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
The fact they had Okafor iso for the potential game winner was lol worthy.

I don't know if Brown is a bad coach in the 4th Qs/final minutes or if he's just supporting the tank.

I'm of the opinion that they are on board with the tank. Too many leads and close games that almost all become losses. Could be wrong but the goal right now is progressing current draft picks and getting a top pick for Simmons or Ingram.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

I don't know if Brown is a bad coach in the 4th Qs/final minutes or if he's just supporting the tank.

I'm not so sour on the player selection as I was on the actual shot selection by Okafor. I'm not sure that is what Brown wanted him to do...who the heck knows. Ish was also making ill-advised attempts and Noel needs to practice receiving balls and holding on them...he flounders too much with it. He looks like the late Manute Bol with that at times...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Brown is putting guys in tough situations as part of player development.
The other issue is "what are the alternatives?"

I mean Ish is what he is, an improved JAG who's still a backup PG on most teams, they don't have a starting caliber SG or SF (Grant is a defensive 6th man, like A Moute but better at shot blocking, and far worse shooting the ball). RoCo is cold right now, Canaan is game to game and Thompson lacks a scorers' mentalite.

So you get to the end of the game and who do you choose to take a shot?

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I'm not so sour on the player selection as I was on the actual shot selection by Okafor. I'm not sure that is what Brown wanted him to do...who the heck knows. Ish was also making ill-advised attempts and Noel needs to practice receiving balls and holding on them...he flounders too much with it. He looks like the late Manute Bol with that at times...
Going to have to live with it. Players don't improve all that much in that area.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona

I don't mind it for this current team, but that's another one of the many problems you'll run into keeping Okafor long term. It's going to be tough getting him the ball due to teams fronting, he can't shoot from distance, and any shot he gets off is going to be heavily contested. Not a recipe for success in the closing seconds of a game.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
I'm convinced they're doing this on purpose now.

Prove that you're competitive for about 30 minutes and then give the game away to support the tank.

:laugh:

Yup. Notice that since Colangelo came on, the Sixers still only talk about getting better. The Ish trade was the only move made so far.

Jerry Colangelo knows this teams needs a Top 2 pick to be competitive in the near future. His main role is to improve the teams relationship with agents and aid the team in draft and free agency this offseason.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't mind it for this current team, but that's another one of the many problems you'll run into keeping Okafor long term. It's going to be tough getting him the ball due to teams fronting, he can't shoot from distance, and any shot he gets off is going to be heavily contested. Not a recipe for success in the closing seconds of a game.

It's not that he can't shoot, he was never asked to shoot until this season. He's gradually improved his range, he's pretty good up to 15" now, nice turn around jumper. Jah has a soft touch and should improve with reps.

People talk about Jah as if he's a finished product, jeez, he just turned 20, he's reworking his body on the fly (compare the summer with now, he's shed 10 lbs and has developed a lot more aerobic stamina, he leads all rookies in minutes played), learning to play defense, learning to play the "4", adding to his offensive repertoire, that's a lot to master in one rookie season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They're not tanking on purpose, it's just that BB isn't coaching to win, he's coaching to teach young players what it takes to win. That is, he puts players in tough situations so they'll understand why they're doing practice drills (practice? . . . ). Lose some games because you miss free throws and it's a lot easier to have them shoot them for an hour each day. Lose some games b/c you don't help out on the P&R, because you stop moving on offense, lose your dribble . . .

If you think of this season as an extended practice where they're developing the young players who will be the bench of the future, then it's not as frustrating.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
It's not that he can't shoot, he was never asked to shoot until this season. He's gradually improved his range, he's pretty good up to 15" now, nice turn around jumper. Jah has a soft touch and should improve with reps.

People talk about Jah as if he's a finished product, jeez, he just turned 20, he's reworking his body on the fly (compare the summer with now, he's shed 10 lbs and has developed a lot more aerobic stamina, he leads all rookies in minutes played), learning to play defense, learning to play the "4", adding to his offensive repertoire, that's a lot to master in one rookie season.

For me, it's not even close. Okafor > Noel, especially in the long term. Embiid has the most potential but there is no telling how he does.

I don't see Noel improving too much more but I think Okafor has a lot more room to grow defensively. I'd say it's easier for Okafor to learn better defense than Noel to learn to be more effectively offensively.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
For me, it's not even close. Okafor > Noel, especially in the long term. Embiid has the most potential but there is no telling how he does.

I don't see Noel improving too much more but I think Okafor has a lot more room to grow defensively. I'd say it's easier for Okafor to learn better defense than Noel to learn to be more effectively offensively.
For the sake of the teams future I hope they don't share a similar thought process. You don't win with centers of Okafor's ilk. Kanter, Monroe, Lopez, Jefferson, Vucevic. And Okafor is closer to his potential than fans think since he's quite polished offensively and limited athletically. Noel isnt going to be a go to scorer, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective in a Deandre Jordan type of role. Defensively, you couldn't design a more suited player to play defense in the modern NBA than Noel. Hes also a better passer and rebounder than Okafor. His body also has more growth potential than Okafor. It's never been close for me, Noel>>Okafor as rookies, currently, and in the future.

Noel is pretty much the Couturier of the team, though fans are starting to appreciate Couts impact more.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
For the sake of the teams future I hope they don't share a similar thought process. You don't win with centers of Okafor's ilk. Kanter, Monroe, Lopez, Jefferson, Vucevic. And Okafor is closer to his potential than fans think since he's quite polished offensively and limited athletically. Noel isnt going to be a go to scorer, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective in a Deandre Jordan type of role. Defensively, you couldn't design a more suited player to play defense in the modern NBA than Noel. Hes also a better passer and rebounder than Okafor. His body also has more growth potential than Okafor. It's never been close for me, Noel>>Okafor as rookies, currently, and in the future.

Noel is pretty much the Couturier of the team, though fans are starting to appreciate Couts impact more.

I kind of have to agree.....Noel is the more versatile player and he fits the up tempo style of play the Sixers want to incorporate. Embiid and Noel would be ideal......Okafor is out the door IMO if Embiid pans out. Having said this...Okafor is so polished offensively already as a rookie and definitely has a lot of upside too...I wouldn't sell him short so soon either.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How can people rush to judgment on Okafor off little more than half a season at age 20?

For one thing, a lot of assumptions are wrong, he's solid defensively one on one, opponents are shooting below average within 15", they shoot better outside, but when did Okafor ever have to defend out to the 3 point line? Yes, he struggles with switchoffs on the P&R, but he's improved, again, not something he has a lot of experience doing.
His shoot has improved, his ability to block out under the boards (neutralized Cousins a number of times), even his ball handling.

Yes, he has a long way to go, but he's already better than players like Monroe, Kanter, Lopez, Jefferson or Vucevic. With a lot of upside left. And I think his future is going to be a big "4" as they get him closer to 260 lbs this summer and work on his aerobic conditioning (they never asked him to run at Duke).

Learning curve folks.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I want that #1 overall pick a lot more than i did last year, so i'm totally okay with this whole "look competitive then choke the game away every night" thing.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

Noel is shooting something like 65% since the Ish trade, which is leading or right there with the best in the NBA. Yeah, they're mostly dunks but his ability to get above the rim and finish is elite and helps the offense. Plus he's a very good passer. I think making small improvements in other areas of his offensive game would go a long way and I think he's capable.

He won't be Jah on offense, but, similarly, Okafor will never have Noel's impact on the defensive end. Okafor might have more room to improve right now, but he should, because currently Noel is a much better player.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Villanova is ranked #1 in the AP and USA Today polls. Nice.

And both St. Joe's and Temple are both trending in the right direction for the NCAA Tournament (with the Hawks crushing GW in DC on Wednesday night and the Owls coming from behind to beat UConn on Thursday night).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad