Phil Kessel's chances at the Hart Trophy?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I got the idea for this question from the thread asking about Kessel's chances for the Rocket Richard Trophy.

Hypothetical let's say Phil Kessel finishes 2nd overall in total goals scored, top 5 in totals points and the Leafs make the playoffs. What chances do you give him of being a finalist for the Hart Trophy?

Also in this scenario the Washington Capitals miss the playoffs, however Alexader Ovechkin scores 60 goals and is nominated for the Hart Trophy. Let's remember it's happened before when players from teams who miss the playoffs have been finalist for this award like Jarome Iginla in 2002.

Does Ovechkin deserve the award more than Kessel if all the other things I mentioned actually happen? I have had some people tell me Kessel would never be nominated for the Hart because the media would make sure it doesn't happen.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Given Kessel's nature as a player (not physical/strong 2 way) he'd have to hit 100+ points this year to even be considered.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I could see Kessel being a finalist if he gets 90 or more points and the Leafs make the playoffs. Right now though I think Crosby is pretty far ahead of the pack, followed by Getzlaf. The next tier i'd say are guys like Kane, Kessel, Ovechkin, St Louis and Tavares. Would love to see Phil get the recognition as even a finalist, but baring an injury i can't see Crosby not getting it.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Kessel will be our player with the highest chance at being our MVP, whether he deserves it or not (he does) because he's our flashiest player. I love Phaneuf, but we are always arguing if he's a good #1 or an elite #2 (he's definitely a good #1) while everybody knows Kessel's a top 3 RW in the game, possibly the best depending on who you ask. Kessel's put this team on his back the last month while Bernier's been mediocre (not bashing Bernier, he's been amazing and the team needs to bail him out more, but lately he's been lacklustre).

Kessel would need to be top 3 in points and 2nd in goals for him to get serious consideration though IMHO.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I like Kessel and all that but.........honestly, he has almost no chance at all. It would take a miracle.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It's crosby's this year

Phil should be in the conversation, but honestlyi would be shocked if he was even nominated

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Phaneuf is way more valuable.

Without Phaneuf Kessel's goals would all be vain attempts to try and keep the score close as we lose every game 8-3...

Ah, but it's 2 way street, without Kessel's Goals Phaneuf would look like an average d-man with allowing all these goals.

Anyway to answer OP, 0%. Too many factors on this team to single out just 1.

- Kessel
- Kadri
- Bernier
- Phaneuf

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I feel like Corey Perry and Crosby have the best shot at being the Hart winner. Crosby for obvious reasons and Perry because he has an obscene amount of game winners and is lighting it up this year as well. Anaheim is doing well as a team but there have been a lot of nights where Perry put the team on his back.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Crosby, Ovechkin, Getzlaf, Tavares, Bishop, Kane have all been awesome this year. Harding I think was the favourite before he stopped playing. Kessel COULD win, but a lot of things need to occur for that to happen.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
0%.

/thread

Phil Kessel isn't even the most valuable player on his team. Never mind the whole NHL.
Really? All you ever hear is how important he is to the team, how if he doesn't perform the Leafs don't either. I swear people have this bias against Leaf players, even their own fans fall for that kind of crap. Put Kessel on any other team and he'd be considered for it. Not saying Kessel deserves it but holy, if we had Crosby I'm sure a good portion of the fan base would crap on him too

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He'd be a more deserving finalist than Tavares was last year if he was top 5 in scoring.

The Islanders play at the cap floor and have one of the lowest team salaries, and as such are considered underdogs against most opponents on a nightly basis. They also made the playoffs because Tavares was identified as the one carrying them there by his contributions against teams and opponents that spend much more on NHL player salaries.

The Hart is awarded for MVP status. While JT was never going to win it, he was still recognized by his importance.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unless he can keep up his pace of his last 15 or so games, then 0% chance. He'll really need to finish the year extremely hot.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Can't see his reputation being good enough to ever win the Hart... it was only a year ago that guys like Cox were saying he needed to be traded even after he put up an 80 point season. And that is our own media who watches him every game saying that so I can only imagine the negative connotation around the league, although his reputation has gone up considerably in the last season and a half.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Obviously it would be nice but I don't think there's any chance at it happening. Just making top 5 would be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad