Phil Kessel

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I don't like it. People say its not a big deal but do you think Malkin liked being yelled at. Do you think Kessel and Malkin enjoyed the overall experience at the time. This time it worked out but i don't like players coming to the bench and just blasting players A through Z.

The right thing to do would have been to grab a tablet and show Malkin the play either on the bench or in the room and say "i think you did X wrong, you should have done Y"

That's what a Leader would do.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I don't like it. People say its not a big deal but do you think Malkin liked being yelled at. Do you think Kessel and Malkin enjoyed the overall experience at the time. This time it worked out but i don't like players coming to the bench and just blasting players A through Z.

The right thing to do would have been to grab a tablet and show Malkin the play either on the bench or in the room and say "i think you did X wrong, you should have done Y"

Kessel is not a leader. That, we know.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh

i guess the penguins are lucky you're not on their roster

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Leadership is not an issue on the Penguins.... But I'm sure they'll take your opinion on their locker room seriously.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Big night for Phil incoming.

Baby Kessel named after Penguins right winger Phil Kessel

I think they are both grown ups and friends and know that anything said is out of a desire to win and not personal. I'm sure they both apologized after the game for any hurt fee-fees and had a good laugh about it.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If that was messier (or any of the dozen apointed great leaders in the current game)yelling at the bench then going out and scoring the media would be drowning him in praise for leading the way... but its kessel and the majority hate Phil so instead its treated like some odd thing....

Phil should have had 3 or maybe even 4 goals in the first two games and was probably frustrated but this is grossly overblown... there are bench blowups all the time and you almost never see them highlighted on national tv...

Its just an ongoing narrative... phil is an awesome guy and liked in the locker room.. he hates the national media and for great reasons...

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
It's not normal, I don't care how Sullivan spins it. A bit of a jawing absolutely is normal but not this sitcom stuff Kessel was pulling. I actually like Kessel, good player, but no one on the bench appreciated that bat-**** crazy stuff. If you win, it's tolerated, as soon as you don't he will be the first guy booted.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Please, it was a heat of the moment exchange. Happens every game.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
please....Malkin and Kessel fighting is nothing. Malkin is always mad at teamates. and i guess no one has ever seen crosby/Hornqvist Jaw and yell at each other. they do it all the time and are great together.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
If that was messier (or any of the dozen apointed great leaders in the current game)yelling at the bench then going out and scoring the media would be drowning him in praise for leading the way... but its kessel and the majority hate Phil so instead its treated like some odd thing....

Phil should have had 3 or maybe even 4 goals in the first two games and was probably frustrated but this is grossly overblown... there are bench blowups all the time and you almost never see them highlighted on national tv...

Its just an ongoing narrative... phil is an awesome guy and liked in the locker room.. he hates the national media and for great reasons...

Can you imagine if that was Toews, who then went on and scored the only goal of the game?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Anyone who has played competitive sports at a high level would find your post ridiculous. Teams are made up of different personalities. I'm fine getting yelled at like that, it motivates me. Additionally, my teammates know/knew when I yelled it wasn't personal, it was how I led a lot of the time. Did that sometimes rub new personalities the wrong way at first? Sure. Did I scream beligerently at players all game? Of course not. Point is, eventually real teams get on the same page. I'm sure Malkin and Kessel know how to talk to one another. Not everyone has the same leadership style. There is no cookie cutter approach.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
hqdefault.jpg

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Showing somebody something and telling them what they did wrong is not much different than yelling to them what they did wrong.

Showing them something and asking them what could have been done differently is probably what you are thinking.

That said, sometimes people need yelling. Ever met a sargeant?

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
Not to mention Geno was the first one to skate up to Phil with a big smile on his face to celebrate the goal. They're fine. .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad