Phil Kessel = WOW!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundinfan13

Dec 26, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Was anyone else extremely impressed by Phil Kessel????
I don't know that much about him, though I remember hearing a lot some time earlier this year. Can someone tell me a little of his background like where he plays, and how he's doing where he does play. For being yuonger then most of the others I thought he was one of the best players on the ice. Besides the amazing hands he was really strong on the puck for his size.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
He looked good, he is extremely small though, and he doesnt have much mass to him.

He is listed as 6'0'' 184lbs on the iihf site is that all that small for a 17 year old ??..

When I saw him play, I saw why they relegated Robbie Schremp to the 13th forward ..

I thought Kessel was very impressive considering he is one of the youngest players in the tourney ..playing against kids 2 years older than him.

He is in fact team USA's Sidney Crosby equivalent IMO ..

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He is NOT 6'00 184

He is MUCH MUCH smaller than Crosby.

He is slight as well. Did you see his legs???

Im not knocking his skill but there is no way Kessel is 6'00 184

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
The Messenger said:
He is listed as 6'0'' 184lbs on the iihf site is that all that small for a 17 year old ??..

When I saw him play, I saw why they relegated Robbie Schremp to the 13th forward ..

I thought Kessel was very impressive considering he is one of the youngest players in the tourney ..playing against kids 2 years older than him.
* 16 year old

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
La-La-Laprise said:
He looked good, he is extremely small though, and he doesnt have much mass to him.

I wouldn't call him "extremely small," as he's isn't that short. He does need to add muscle, although from what I can tell, he didn't shy away from the trenches and held his own against larger opponents. There's no doubt though that he showed tremendous speed and offensive instincts. I'll be interested to see what he does against the Swiss.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's got good speed, I look forward to seeing him in the NCAA next year. But he doesn't have the lower body strength from the looks of it. He looks to be around the same size as Crosby (I don't mean exact size, cause it doesn't matter both will grow over time) but with Crosby you get very impressive lower body strength which will help him greatly at the next level.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
montreal said:
He's got good speed, I look forward to seeing him in the NCAA next year. But he doesn't have the lower body strength from the looks of it. He looks to be around the same size as Crosby (I don't mean exact size, cause it doesn't matter both will grow over time) but with Crosby you get very impressive lower body strength which will help him greatly at the next level.

What showed you he doesn't have lower body strength? I don't think that was evident in the Russia at all. All of this talk is premature anyway, as he is likely several years away from the NHL anyway. He will grow, and he will get stronger.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
What showed you he doesn't have lower body strength? I don't think that was evident in the Russia at all. All of this talk is premature anyway, as he is likely several years away from the NHL anyway. He will grow, and he will get stronger.
That's true, but he didn't look that strong. Toronto prospect, Dmitri Vorobiev tracked him down and held him nicely along the boards. It may be Vorobiev's strength, but I doubt it... he was basically using one hand.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
montreal said:

You can have all the speed in the world, but at some point size and strength will come into play. Some guys are just slightly built and that may be Kessel's makeup. Using his speed with the U18 squad and using it in the pro's are two different stories!

CH Wizard

He impressed me , He seems to have a great shot and be a solid hardworker.

He's impressive for a 17 years old.He'll have to grow and gain some strenght.He has a lot of time to grow though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
HabLover said:
You can have all the speed in the world, but at some point size and strength will come into play. Some guys are just slightly built and that may be Kessel's makeup. Using his speed with the U18 squad and using it in the pro's are two different stories!

What a tough crowd ....

A 17 year old kid still 2 drafts away from being drafted in a tourney basically designed for 19 year olds before he is even in college yet, gets no respect ... WOW

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
ndhockey21 said:
ESPN2 said he is the youngest player in the tourny.

Well, I guess ESPN2 didn't do their homework. The Czechs appear to have a 16 yr old, Frolik I believe, and their are several 1987 born players in this tourney. Take Crosby and Kessel for instance, there is only like a month or so separating these two guys. Now if they were 2 or 3 years old then it may make a difference in their abilities, but c'mon were talking about young men here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad