News: Phil Kessel working out with the Canucks

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I swear I saw a Spitten Chicklet that said Kessel hydrated with soda and Randy Carlyle didn’t want unhealthy drinks and apparently Kessel got uppity about it. It’s these kinds of stories that make me doubt he’s ever been anywhere close to “incredible shape”.

Reactions: BHD

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Looks like Phils belly has been greatly reduced.

426374099_795445325960917_6217866582283371631_n.jpg

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Do they need him? Their offense is pretty loaded as it is

The team is a little weak in terms of skilled wingers. VGK players also said how much they loved having Kessel in the locker room, he kept things light and is a 3 time cup winner, of which the Canucks don't have a lot of. Tons of experience behind the bench but aside from Bleuger and Cole, not many cup wins on the roster.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If I were a washed up 35+ player who was still a name I wouldn’t sign until February either. Much less wear and tear on the body and youll actually know who the contenders are
I’ve always been surprised that there are not more players that are at the end of their career that have not gotten a cup (I know Phil has multiple) sign with contending teams close to the deadline. I get it that the salary isn’t appealing and roster/cap limits. But I have always been surprised you don’t see more guys just park it. Stay in shape. Sign in February. And take a last swing or two at the end of their careers. I know if I were a pro and never got to win it I’d try it for a year or two.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Seems like a solid locker room guy now a days. Good for the Canucks. Could 1000% use that vet presence. Feel like Ian Cole is the only guy on that roster that's been past the 2nd round.

*edit. Forgot the Canucks had a run in the bubble. But does that even count?

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
I swear I saw a Spitten Chicklet that said Kessel hydrated with soda and Randy Carlyle didn’t want unhealthy drinks and apparently Kessel got uppity about it. It’s these kinds of stories that make me doubt he’s ever been anywhere close to “incredible shape”.
Pretty sure he lead the Leafs in testing every training camp when he was still there and never looked the part. Maybe someone who fought through testicular cancer doesn't look like the typical athlete but it shouldn't discredit what he's accomplished.

Reactions: ziploc

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Seems like a solid locker room guy now a days. Good for the Canucks. Could 1000% use that vet presence. Feel like Ian Cole is the only guy on that roster that's been past the 2nd round.

*edit. Forgot the Canucks had a run in the bubble. But does that even count?

Bleuger has a cup too, also the coaching staff has like 6 cups on and off the ice between Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar and the Sedins in the HHOF running the powerplay. Miller also has two runs to the third round, one with the 2015 Rangers and one with the 2017 Lightning.

The bubble run probably counts because Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Boeser and Demko were all really good. Pettersson 18P/17G, Hughes was 16P/17G, Miller was 18P/17G, Boeser was 11P/17G, Demko almost stole the series vs Vegas, DeBoer even said Demko was the reason they lost to Dallas.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The memes are funny, but lets be real,

Kessel is more athletic than 99.9% of the people that will read this post.

If you dont agree with that then you dont understand how athletic and dynamic and strong professional athletes actually are.

It's especially true with hockey. You don't need some massively ripped upper body to be good at hockey. Overall, the media has wildly skewed our ideas about what's athletic and healthy. You don't need to have six pack abs to be good at sports, particularly a contact sport where some extra bodyweight can be a benefit.

But also this.....
EAQUws8WsAAhZZo

Lol. He has a massive wine cellar, that's almost empty but has 3 giant bottles of Baileys.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Some dudes just never look the part. I worked with a guy once. Never saw him ever work out in the traditional sense. Guy had two chins. A big old dad bod gut. But he could out swim anyone short of an olympian in the pool and was a wild bastard on a surf board. He could power lift a bus if you could convince him to join you in the gym. Some guys are just born athletic at something. Phil was just born to be a hockey player. Simple as that.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If the Canucks can sign him for an affordable $ amount I just don't see the downside. He would certainly be a great addition to their playoff depth.

Reactions: Menzinger

Aug 3, 2010
What nerdy sports fans expect athletes to look like:

what_it_takes_to_be_a_true_bodybuilder.png

What professional athletes actually look like:

1707941866089.png

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
He's looking like a typical balding middle aged man who carrying a few too many pounds that has about as much in common with today's young athlete as I do.
So no different from what he looked like over his career? Again; Maybe we shouldn't discredit someone who battled testicular cancer based on not looking like what you think an athlete should look like when he's proven those people wrong his entire career.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Some dudes just never look the part. I worked with a guy once. Never saw him ever work out in the traditional sense. Guy had two chins. A big old dad bod gut. But he could out swim anyone short of an olympian in the pool and was a wild bastard on a surf board. He could power lift a bus if you could convince him to join you in the gym. Some guys are just born athletic at something. Phil was just born to be a hockey player. Simple as that.
Oh I didn’t meant to imply he wasn’t performant. There’s plenty of examples of guys who are strong and perform but aren’t exactly in “incredible shape”. He could be gym rat and still have bad eating and drinking habits and/or bad hormones and carry high percentage of body fat, which to me is not incredible shape.

Aug 3, 2010
Chemistry?!?!

Canucks and Kessel go together like hotdogs and chili, like hotdogs and fried onions, like hotdogs and fries, like hotdogs and mustard, like hotdogs and salsa....yah, ok...I am done.
You forgot hotdogs with hotdogs.

But also, hotdogs with mustard or ketchup. How did you miss that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad