News: Phil Kessel working out with the Canucks

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I am no Nuck's fan but I think this is a very astute move that could pay off big time for both Phil and the Nuck's. Feel like the Nuck's sense they have a Cup Window and are doing a lot of things right. As an Oil fan, this all pisses me off.lol
It's a weird feeling having a cup window, even weirder to have a management group that actually had a plan and the smarts and balls to execute it..

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
FB_IMG_1707881172346.jpg

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Apparently, he’s incredible shape, I guess we will find out!

Would be a nice fit as our fourth line winger, use him on the second power play

Reactions: Szechwan

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
An unstoppable force vs. an immovable object.

Iron man streak vs. Canucks historic injury luck

I will follow with anticipation

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am no Nuck's fan but I think this is a very astute move that could pay off big time for both Phil and the Nuck's. Feel like the Nuck's sense they have a Cup Window and are doing a lot of things right. As an Oil fan, this all pisses me off.lol

Sigining Phil Kessel is not a cup winning move. There was a reason why he was benched in the playoffs for the Knights.
Maybe he provides something in the locker room, but not much on the ice.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I don’t get it.

I mean, I like the guy, but I’m not sure of the upside vs messing up your chemistry.

Weird.
Chemistry?!?!

Canucks and Kessel go together like hotdogs and chili, like hotdogs and fried onions, like hotdogs and fries, like hotdogs and mustard, like hotdogs and salsa....yah, ok...I am done.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Where’s the gap in the lineup?

Pius Suter, Phil DiGiusuppe and assorted other bottom 6'ers have been taking turns with Miller and Boeser. Pettersson has also been stuck with Mikheyev but today's experiment with Hoglander went well.

Arguably, the team could also use a checking winger, so Kessel could push one of them down the lineup and add some more skill to the 4th line.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pius Suter, Phil DiGiusuppe and assorted other bottom 6'ers have been taking turns with Miller and Boeser. Pettersson has also been stuck with Mikheyev but today's experiment with Hoglander went well.

Arguably, the team could also use a checking winger, so Kessel could push one of them down the lineup and add some more skill to the 4th line.

Well I guess there’s little risk in trying if it’s a PTO type scenario.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Well I guess there’s little risk in trying if it’s a PTO type scenario.

Kessel also loves Tocchet, he followed him to Arizona, and he probably only gets one year at near league minimum. He also said he doesn't expect to play every game because of the iron man streak.

The Canucks are also somewhat lacking in experienced vets in the lineup. They have Cole and Bleuger and a ton of rings on the bench but having locker room guys is a big deal.

Pretty low risk.

Reactions: DustyDangler

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Nice to see him still playing before he retires from hockey and becomes a spokesperson for Oscar Meyer and drives the Weinermobile Screenshot_20240214_005201_Google.jpg

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Hope he makes the team, it'd give the Canucks some added depth in the top-6; maybe allow players to rest, and heal any injuries before the playoffs.

Reactions: Play

Fist of Fury

Wang Chung
Jul 24, 2011
To the Islanders! Straight to the first line with Barzal & Horvat, Roy will get the last thrill out him! Do it Lou, just do it! 😃

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Do they need him? Their offense is pretty loaded as it is
They do seem one winger short in the top-six.

My guess is that they want to move Pius Suter from being LW2 (with Miller/Boeser) back to 4C.

Their other top-six winger options are Hoglander or Mikheyev. Hoglander seems to be finding chemistry with Pettersson and Lindholm. Mikheyev looks lost offensively and at this point is better suited to be a 4th-line winger.

Is Kessel the answer? Not sure. I think most Canucks fans are hoping they might swing for one more top-six winger (who is in their prime) before the TDL. Which would then ideally slot Kessel back to that 13th/14th forward role if someone is injured in the top-six.

I guess by signing him now ahead of the TDL they can make that determination if they need to trade for another winger or not for themselves. If Kessel doesn’t work out before the TDL, he’s probably waived and buried in the AHL and the Canucks make a trade for another winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad