Phil Kessel Appreciation Thread: 6th consecutive 30 goal season (Lock out adjusted)

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I remember after the first period being kinda choked, Kessel bailed on a couple hits, skating around looked disenterested.

Then bang, hatty plus the clinching assist.

I don't remember if it was at the end of the first or early second, but when he and Gryba got into it, that's when he started to really get into the game. It just seems like every time he gets into one of those battles, it gets him more involved and he ends up putting up a big game on both sides of the rink.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Heh, I know I was the last reply, but something made me want to check on Kessel's numbers since the Lupul trade, because I remember that he did really well after that deal happened, but it's crazy to see just how much he's improved since we got another legit forward on the team (JVR having the same effect)...

Before Lupul (including final season with Boston):

124GP 49G 40A 89P

After Lupul:

215GP 100G 125A 225P

Nice to see how much he's improved in the past few years in terms of consistency, and also a funny thing I noticed is that in the final 28 games of the season after the Lupul trade, Kessel posted almost half his points (13/17/30 of 32/32/64) for that year.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...stick-and-deceptive-strength/article16677523/

No post from this article? Quotes include:

He is, they say, “powerful” – enough to belt a golf ball more than 350 yards, manhandle a leg press or blow away from them on the ice in practice.

And if that’s “out of shape,” they’d like to be signed up.

“Extremely powerful,” Leafs netminder James Reimer said of Kessel’s deceptive gifts. “It’s just sneaky, strong power. I don’t know what he does in the summer to work on it or if that’s just natural ability, but he’s got probably the strongest legs on the team.”

“He’s as strong a skater in the lower body as we have on our team,” added head coach Randy Carlyle, who credits Kessel’s strength and low centre of gravity with both his remarkable acceleration and quick, hard shot. “I think he’s just got God-given talent.”

And

Lupul, meanwhile, can only chuckle when asked why appearances are so deceiving when it comes to Kessel. He has known him long enough now to realize Kessel is simply one of the most athletically talented people he’ll ever meet, whether they are on the rink, the golf course or anywhere else.

And he doesn’t underestimate him any more.

“Any sport you want to play him in, he’ll beat you at,” Lupul said. “That’s just natural fast-twitch muscles. It’s the same thing if you go play golf with him. … You wouldn’t picture him driving the ball 50, 60 yards past you, but it happens.

“Some people are naturally powerful, and in his case, that’s what gives him that extra gear.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad