Phil Kessel Appreciation Thread: 6th consecutive 30 goal season (Lock out adjusted)

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Listen, as we all know the Leafs are in a tough hole right now. As the season progresses, the losses keep piling up. One thing I really don't like is the amount of "Kessel is meh" or "trade Kessel" or "Kessel has no heart, he's not a core player" posts I'm seeing. This guy is one of the most dynamic players in the league. Not only is his shot probably the most dangerous and quick, he has amazing speed and such underrated vision. The exact same thing happened last year when he had 0 goals in the first 10 games or a bad stretch at the end of February of 2013 and people were calling for his head. We all know the way Kessel plays well enough to know that he will come back flying in stretches, sometimes long, sometimes short. Last year towards the final two months of the season he went on an absolute tear and finished I think 7th in overall NHL scoring. Some people literally expect this guy to be Jesus. I'm not saying Kessel is a leader but he is a core guy that the other 29 teams would love to have on their team. This guy wanted to play here and no where else but here and has lead the Leafs in scoring since he's been here and been amongst the most elite company in goals and points. People question his heart but somehow forget last year's playoffs, did you see his interview after game 7? He looked like he watched his family die right in front of him. He showed the most heart out of any Leaf in the playoffs last year and although it may not look like it, he does care about winning and the success of the other players and the success of the team. He's not even in the toughest of stretches right now with the Leafs, there have been worse. My point is, we all know the real Phil Kessel will not let us down and will always be a dangerous force for us. I am so glad he's signed for 8 more years. He's our guy and I want us to appreciate the fact that we have a guy that's capable of 40 goal 40 assist seasons because last I checked, the last leaf to even break 70 points was Sundin. Not a lot of teams have a guy who's as dynamic as Phil is. So let's take some time to look at the many positives about Phil. He will always prove doubters wrong! GO LEAFS GO!

Last edited by a moderator:

JMcLeaf

7vQTFtt.gif

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
It looks like he's in for another PPG season, but we need him and JVR to produce consistently, and not go through cold streaks like they are right now (1 goal in previous 5/6 games for both).

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
I'd appreciate it if he became less predictable and more consistent. In our recent skid if seen Clarkson blamed, Nonis blamed, Carlyle blamed, Phaneuf blamed, leadership blamed, 3rd pairing dmen blamed, but not once Kessel blamed. He is going to be our highest paid player at 8 million or so a year and he has done #!$@ all lately. The truth is, if he isn't producing, he isn't helping us win. And he hasn't been producing lately.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Never thought he'd be this consistent when we got him. He has somewhat lost that streaky-ness he had before. His vision has also improved considerably since we got him.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
He is going to be our highest paid player at 8 million or so a year and he has done #!$@ all lately. The truth is, if he isn't producing, he isn't helping us win. And he hasn't been producing lately.

I think people just accept Kessel for what he is now. He still plays very soft in the offensive and defensive zone. Playoff Phil was pretty legit though, hopefully we get to seem him again this year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's struggling right now, as is the rest of the team.

If we are to climb out of this massive funk, we need him to step it up a notch.

With that said, probably the least of our problems right now. Definitely happy that he's staying for quite some time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Only a matter of time until Kessel takes the team on his shoulders and carries then to success just like Gilmour and Sundin did in the past as the teams leaders and star player.

MLSE is prepared to make Phil one of he the highest paid players in the game and hopefully he can repay the organization accordingly.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I love Phil but I hate how he lays on the brakes as soon as he is inside the blueline. If he took a different route through the neutral zone he wouldnt have to.

That move kills every play IMO

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I think people just accept Kessel for what he is now. He still plays very soft in the offensive and defensive zone. Playoff Phil was pretty legit though, hopefully we get to seem him again this year.

Thats just it though. Him being so streaky might cause the Leafs to miss the P/O. This team needs every point they can get, and him not scoring is causing this slump. How can you appreciate Kessel right now when he isn't doing the thing he needs to do to get this team out its funk? I think this thread would've been more appropriate if he was scoring despite this team being in a slump. You know, doing his $8 million job.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Thats just it though. Him being so streaky might cause the Leafs to miss the P/O. This team needs every point they can get, and him not scoring is causing this slump. How can you appreciate Kessel right now when he isn't doing the thing he needs to do to get this team out its funk? I think this thread would've been more appropriate if he was scoring despite this team being in a slump. You know, doing his $8 million job.

Kessel currently makes $5.4 million :teach:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Or how about "Way to go Kessel!:handclap::handclap:" when he has 1 goal and -7 in his last 6 games.

I know you're being all cool and hip with the trolling, but Kessel is far from this teams issue. If anything he's the bright spot in what has been a terrible 4 weeks of hockey.

As much as he's had a dry spell of goal scoring lately, he's created a good amount of chances and usually the most dangerous player on the ice. The whole 'top' line has been pretty much on point for most of the season, but like most teams, you can't expect your top line to always score. Any top team has secondary scoring, of which we haven't had much this year.

Right now the Leafs haven't had much secondary scoring, zero defensive scoring and the worst defensive support in the league. The only thing keeping up is the goaltending and our top line.

Thanks for coming out.

Note: Kessel also has been playing with an injured wrist. Very well reported. Not an excuse but it explains the low scoring lately.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'm not saying way to go Kessel.

Just pointing out how stupid it is to say the teams slump is because he isn't scoring.

GA last 6 games

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not saying way to go Kessel.

Just pointing out how stupid it is to say the teams slump is because he isn't scoring.

GAA last 6 games

Nope. Kessel's fault and he sucks.

LOLzZ!!!!111!!1

Seguin! Ron Paul 2012!

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Kessel's got it pretty easy around here.

- Not expected to face the fans and media when everyone's looking for answers (Phaneuf, Reimer, Fraser take the media beatings).

-Nobody expects him to play hard and fight for every inch; the real issue with this team right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad