Phil Housley discussion thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Lets get an actual coach now that can get all these bad habits out of the players before they become ingrained into them.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Coaching changes seemingly always provide a short-term spark and improvement in play.

Hell even canning Therrien for Dan Bylsma got the Pens a Cup. Bylsma proved to be incompetent but simply changing the voice in the room was enough. Sullivan did the same thing for them.

Same goes for other sports. Manchester United turned their season around after firing their coach for someone completely inexperienced.

Get rid of Housley and put literally anyone else in for the rest of the year. I'd bring up Chris Taylor. Then in the off-season look for someone long term.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Same goes for other sports. Manchester United turned their season around after firing their coach for someone completely inexperienced.

Firing Phil The Special One and replacing him with Mike Peca would be completely fine with me.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Do Soccer or Basketball coaches even have an effect on their teams............
Absolutely. Look at what happened to us when Sir Alex retired and David Moyes took over. We went from champions to not even qualifying for European club competition (Champion's League or Europa League)

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
There is no "perfect" personality for a head coach. Watch pro-sports long enough and you will see lots of quiet coaches, loud coaches, in your face coaches, "player" coaches, demanding coaches, amiable coaches and old-school never smile coaches; and you will see some in all categories be successful and some in all categories who will fail.

The best coaches are the ones who, regardless of personality, establish an urgency in how their team approaches their business. Not panic, not being on edge, not worried...just calm urgency. Every game, every period, every shift, every puck battle matters and everyone knows it.

Would anyone describe Housley this way? It's not a put-down. It takes off the charts leadership ability to be a consistently successful head coach in professional sports.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
There is no "perfect" personality for a head coach. Watch pro-sports long enough and you will see lots of quiet coaches, loud coaches, in your face coaches, "player" coaches, demanding coaches, amiable coaches and old-school never smile coaches; and you will see some in all categories be successful and some in all categories who will fail.

The best coaches are the ones who, regardless of personality, establish an urgency in how their team approaches their business. Not panic, not being on edge, not worried...just calm urgency. Every game, every period, every shift, every puck battle matters and everyone knows it.

Would anyone describe Housley this way? It's not a put-down. It takes off the charts leadership ability to be a consistently successful head coach in professional sports.
The best coaches get the most out of their players. That is not Housley.

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
The only thing that is keeping me sane is my crazy belief that Botterill was forced by the Pegulas to hire Phil but hates Housley. He knew that he couldn't fire him during the season. He actively has refused to make moves or call anyone up to expose Housley and hang him out to dry. At the current rate, he would have "no choice" but to fire him in the off-season.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Depends on what day you ask me. :laugh: I was against hiring Housley. But I recognize how badly the Sabres need stability so I'm open to keeping him if there's progress.

Progress is relative though. Compared to last year you’re pretty much guaranteed progress.

You could also say the team is progressively getting worse this season.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Trust the process. Someday you'll look back and understand why it all happened the way it did.

He gazed up at the enormous scoreboard. Eight years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath that goalie’s mask. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two Labatt-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved The Process.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Housley has shown, to my satisfaction, that he is not the man for the job and he should be replaced.

However, firing him is not going to make this team a lot better. We fundamentally have a player problem, not a coaching one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad