Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1550709430539.jpg

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I just have a feeling after we go 0-6 in our next 6 games, Phil will still be here. I think he stays the rest of the season too. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us climbing in the standings much if at all for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Fearnot

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
What else did you expect Botts to say? "Housley sucks and I'm firing him at the end of the season?"

Of COURSE he's going to give PH a vote of confidence.
Right, I think it's a really dumb trend in sports media.

The GM is handcuffed by questions like these. They're pointless.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I know it is hindsight but I swear one concern I had was Phil Housley was a fragile defenceman. Not that he got hurt but the guy was soft.

Come on, who didn't see that coming?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Coaching changes seemingly always provide a short-term spark and improvement in play.

Hell even canning Therrien for Dan Bylsma got the Pens a Cup. Bylsma proved to be incompetent but simply changing the voice in the room was enough. Sullivan did the same thing for them.

Same goes for other sports. Manchester United turned their season around after firing their coach for someone completely inexperienced.

Get rid of Housley and put literally anyone else in for the rest of the year. I'd bring up Chris Taylor. Then in the off-season look for someone long term.
Except if you hire Housley.
He put the team in a hole to start his tenure..

I can't take another year of this Buffoon

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Idk if this is the best thread for this but here are some numbers I bet some will find interesting, few will find suprising:

Last 4 games without okposo/scandella: 51% corsi, 52% scoring chance, 54% high danger.

Granted a lot of that skewed bby yesterday's game.

That said, the team is over 50% in all those categories when neither guy is on the ice over the course of the season.

Add sobotka to the mix we're over 53% in all.

More recently, without all 3 of those players on ice for the past 15 games we're 54% corsi, 57% scoring chance, 63% high danger.

I realize usage is a factor but those numbers are absurd.

It's amazing how much better this team could be without any trades.

Can we just tape these numbers to the arena doors?

Professor Chaos

May 1, 2018
Gotham
Idk if this is the best thread for this but here are some numbers I bet some will find interesting, few will find suprising:

Last 4 games without okposo/scandella: 51% corsi, 52% scoring chance, 54% high danger.

Granted a lot of that skewed bby yesterday's game.

That said, the team is over 50% in all those categories when neither guy is on the ice over the course of the season.

Add sobotka to the mix we're over 53% in all.

More recently, without all 3 of those players on ice for the past 15 games we're 54% corsi, 57% scoring chance, 63% high danger.

I realize usage is a factor but those numbers are absurd.

It's amazing how much better this team could be without any trades.

Can we just tape these numbers to the arena doors?

These numbers are telling. Honest question...does anyone believe Housley has the ability to scratch any of those three players on a nightly basis? Okposo wears a letter and the other two are veterans and were acquired by the gm in trade. I'm guessing the gm has more input into the daily lineup (who dresses vs who sits) than anyone here imagines. Nice work.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Throw the baffoon down the hill. Send him to a cell. Perform masturbations in front of him until he gets sick... Anything, just make sure he is not able to coach this team anymore and our paralysed GM has to actually find someone better to be coaching our players. The baffoon single handedly is destroying this team despite the great pieces management have provided him on the roster. Why is this stupid franchise so hesitant to fire absurdly bad coaches? First Disco Dan, now the baffoon. Fml

Reactions: sabremike

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Throw the baffoon down the hill. Send him to a cell. Perform *********ions in front of him until he gets sick... Anything, just make sure he is not able to coach this team anymore and our paralysed GM has to actually find someone better to be coaching our players. The baffoon single handedly is destroying this team despite the great pieces management have provided him on the roster. Why is this stupid franchise so hesitant to fire absurdly bad coaches? First Disco Dan, now the baffoon. Fml

It's likely not that they are afraid to fire him. It's more likely that there's no one with NHL credentials who wants to come here and replace him.

No buyers for what they're selling........

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
These numbers are telling. Honest question...does anyone believe Housley has the ability to scratch any of those three players on a nightly basis? Okposo wears a letter and the other two are veterans and were acquired by the gm in trade. I'm guessing the gm has more input into the daily lineup (who dresses vs who sits) than anyone here imagines. Nice work.

JB traded for Nate. He signed Pilut. He asked for DOR in the Kane trade.

Reactions: Icicle and Paxon

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Of course Housley can scratch Okposo. He's the head coach. The coach makes these decisions.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
So if/when Housley's fired and the Pegulas have input, would they go down the old boys club lane again?

I can see them going after Hawerchuck, who has been up and down in Barrie.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
So if/when Housley's fired and the Pegulas have input, would they go down the old boys club lane again?

I can see them going after Hawerchuck, who has been up and down in Barrie.
I see a scenario with Bob Boughner. The Panther's owner is very competitive. It's a situation where his desire to win isn't just words thrown out for public consumption. Boughner is a good coach, but Vince Viola will go full Quenneville if he has the opportunity. I don't think Pegula has that competitive streak. He's like a flounder in the shark tank.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
This should be such an easy decision With Quinville unemployed. Montreal did it pretty quick two years ago when Boston fired Julien.

Reactions: Kyndig

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
I was thinking about posting a new thread, asking about how people would want to handle the rest of the season now that the trade deadline has passed. I.e., now that the option of sending guys out and bringing guys in is off the table, what would you do if you were Housley & Botterill?

Do you try to put the best talent on the ice at the NHL level, with the goal of finishing on a high note (or maybe miraculously squeaking into the playoffs)?

Do you call up prospects (Olofsson, Nylander, O'Regan, etc.) and bench UFA vets in order to establish chemistry for next season?

Do you send as much talent as you can down to Rochester, to get guys some sort of playoff experience, and to maybe get better draft position?

But as I was typing it up, I stopped. None of our opinions mean jack or shit, and Housley's going to half-ass all of the above and leave us with a full slate of un-answered questions going into the offseason.

Awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad