Phil Housley discussion thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
He probably will be here to start next season.
Maybe. I could see the reluctance to fire yet another coach after only 2 seasons, but it's just so blatantly obvious Housley is in over his head. Botterill has to see it, the Pegula's have to see it. There's really no sense in delaying the inevitiable. This guy won't be a good coach and if this team happens to succeed it will be despite him.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
There should be no reluctance to fire Housley and even Botts.

8 years of no playoffs is unacceptable.

Enough of trying 1st time coaches and GMs. They need to get this right this offseason. They are going to lose Their franchise player's faith and start this whole process again.

They need a top notch senior hockey guy at the top, someone who knows how to build a winner. Someone who can build for now and the future without sacrificing more years of development. No one is developing in a losing environment.

Stevie Y would be perfect but I'm pretty sure his heart is in Detroit. A seasoned President of Hockey Ops, GM and a seasoned, respected coach that demands consistent effort as well as understands how the game is played today.

Enough is enough. The fans deserve better.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Predict:
1. Housley stays the rest of the season which is a short 16 games away.
2. Housley gets fired before the 1st round of the playoffs begin.
3. New coach gets hired between June 15th and July 15th.

13f.gif

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I feel pretty confident in saying I've played in games of pickup soccer and frisbee that featured more smart, in-game adjustments than Phil's made in his entire head coaching tenure

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
There should be no reluctance to fire Housley and even Botts.

8 years of no playoffs is unacceptable.
I don't understand wanting to fire Botterill. He's been here for less than 2 years. Yes, he's made mistakes, but the overall picture of the organization is a lot better now than when he got here. If you fire him now, you start the process all over, yet again. No thanks. We haven't had a coach even close to NHL caliber since Lindy left. Let's fix that first rather than resetting the franchise every 2-3 years.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't understand wanting to fire Botterill. He's been here for less than 2 years. Yes, he's made mistakes, but the overall picture of the organization is a lot better now than when he got here. If you fire him now, you start the process all over, yet again. No thanks. We haven't had a coach even close to NHL caliber since Lindy left. Let's fix that first rather than resetting the franchise every 2-3 years.
Are you still giving Botterill credit for getting lucky with ping pong balls?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I’m pretty confident JB gets one more full entire season. And if the team turns a corner, perhaps more. No matter what the fans want.

Housley however I think is as good as gone shortly after the season ends.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

He's a bad coach. The Sabres come out pretty good in the first. But then intermission hits, and instead of trying to better your team (whether winning or not), and prepare for the adjustments that will be coming, things are kept the same, while the other team, especially with the quality of coaching we have faced recently, have made adjustments and have flipped the game. It's no coincidence that the 2nd period has been our worst period. And then because of the lack of stability from leadership, we just implode from there. There's a reason why we're 3rd worst in the league in GA in the 2nd period and 8th worst in the league in the 3rd period. Just for the record we are 10th best in the league in 1st period GA. While we are 12th in the 1st period, 26th in the 2nd, 27th in the 3rd for GF. The name of the game is adjustments, and quality teams that go on to be successful are spearheaded by a head coach who can put his team in positions to win throughout the game.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Let's gather 'round kiddos for story time.

Once upon time there was a hockey franchise. This franchise had been mired in mediocrity for a decade. They had a couple of high draft picks and lofty expectations so they promoted a former defenseman from franchise history who had been an assistant coach, but previously had been an offensive defenseman who became the highest scoring defenseman on the team right out of the draft at age 18. After 2 bad seasons (and then 4 games), this franchise fired that storied former defenseman and hired a veteran head coach who went on to have one of the most successful runs as head coach in modern NHL history.

What's great about this story, is that it could be done again...with the same veteran head coach! Come on Q, let's do it.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I can’t listen to his interview, but I’m being told that he’s dodging some of the tougher questions, and b.s.-ing through the rest.

He has to go.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
3-5: Phil Housley with Howard and Jeremy on WGR (12:35)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - Last night we didn't pick up people and do our job in the defensive zone... There are different mistakes; we continue to make them, but we continue to try and fix them at practice moving forward. #Sabres

Housley - Ristolainen has been in a tough place right now. A lot of the things he's been doing is coming back at him. I do like his physicality and his physical game with some of the game's top players. We have to continue to work on his decision making. #Sabres

Housley - I think he's trying to do the right thing. He's trying to make a difference by stepping up, but it is an awareness issue for sure. #Sabres

Housley on making personnel decisions on the blue line. - You have to look at matchups. What gives us the best chance for success? It also goes into what type of teams we're playing and what they bring every game. #Sabres

Housley - We're banged up on the blue line, so we're trying to give our guys chances. It's not all on our defense as well. It's a five-man unit that has to work together. #Sabres

Housley - Checking has been able to give us success when we play well, it drives us. It's how we play without the puck. We've played good hockey, but when we get away from that, we have to reinforce that message. #Sabres

Housley - I have a job to do. We have to try and push our group. It's a result driven business. We've been doing some things well, but the outcome has not been there. #Sabres

Housley - When we have checked well, when we do the things that it takes to win, I feel we've done a lot of great things. Our possession has been great, we've gotten a lot of chances. When we don't have the puck, that's when we have to check well. #Sabres

Housley on the lack of back-to-back wins - It's tough. Since the All-Star Break, we've been in a lot of one-goal games. We have to stay the course and find ways to win those games. We're a young team, and we have to continue to harp the message of having composure. #Sabres

Housley - There's still a lot of work to be done this year. We have to re-group from last night and focus on our game against Chicago on Thursday. We have to keep taking things one game at a time. #Sabres

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
i'm not happy with what botts has done (or not done) so far, but i expected growing pains and i think replacing GMs every couple years hurts the team more than replacing the coach. i'm fine with giving botts another year to right the ship and show obvious progress, but the first thing that has to happen is replacing housley. period.

bring in a guy with a proven track-record of success. i know that's difficult, but anything less is a complete failure and spells the end for botts.

Reactions: truthbluth

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I only caught part of that interview on the way to work, but I was surprisingly impressed with the questions the Jeremy was asking. Phil was dodging left and right. Guy is clueless.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
i'm not happy with what botts has done (or not done) so far, but i expected growing pains and i think replacing GMs every couple years hurts the team more than replacing the coach. i'm fine with giving botts another year to right the ship and show obvious progress, but the first thing that has to happen is replacing housley. period.

bring in a guy with a proven track-record of success. i know that's difficult, but anything less is a complete failure and spells the end for botts.
I liked this because I agree about the GM vs Coach decision. But as far as getting a new coach, I'm a huge Sheldon Keefe believer. I'd love Q too, but Keefe, who does not have a proven track-record, is my #1 choice.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Housley not willing to answer the question gives you his answer.

I think playing the vets even when they perform like dog shit has to do with the situation a few years ago when the young players didn't respect Gorges and Gionta because they were marginal players that didn't have large roles on the team.

So now they go over the bridge in the opposite direction for culture reasons. Reminds me of the moronic quote by the current Buffalo Bill's coach. "Culture trumps strategy".

Both these regimes (Bills and Sabres owned by Pegulas) probably got hired partly due to impressing the Pegulas in interview by touting the "we're going to change the culture" pitch.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Housley not willing to answer the question gives you his answer.

I think playing the vets even when they perform like dog **** has to do with the situation a few years ago when the young players didn't respect Gorges and Gionta because they were marginal players that didn't have large roles on the team.

So now they go over the bridge in the opposite direction for culture reasons. Reminds me of the moronic quote by the current Buffalo Bill's coach. "Culture trumps strategy".

Both these regimes (Bills and Sabres owned by Pegulas) probably got hired partly due to impressing the Pegulas in interview by touting the "we're going to change the culture" pitch.
For what it's worth, I like what Sean McDermott is doing much more than Housley, and I trust him to adapt much more than Housley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad