Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Travis Sanheim signs extension with the Flyers (2 years, $4.675M AAV)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I still can't understand those who think Ristolainen sucks, or is somehow the worst dman in the NHL.....
RR55 will clock something like in the range of 25-31 minutes a game for the flyers, sucky players won't play that much....
Lmaoooo if he plays the most minutes of any of our D-man then it’s because we’re tanking for the #1 pick in the draft

Reactions: Guitpik

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Had I believed what people were saying about Sanheim on HF for probably 5 years straight, I would have expected this contract to be 9-10m / yr. One of the most hyped d-men prospects who just never panned out as anticipated.

Sanheim is fantastic. It isn’t his fault he’s been asked to carry the likes of Justin Braun, Andrew MacDonald, and now likely Risto..

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Don't understand this for Philly. Couldn't they have let him go to arb and taken a 1 year deal, then work on an extension, if they think he is worthy during next season?

Going to arb is basically the GM shitting all over the player to lower the arb award. You want to avoid arbitration if possible if you want the player long term.

Reactions: Tripod

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You guys need to stop regurgitating everything you see on Twitter because you get excited by graphs and numbers. "TopDownHockey" (a.k.a. Patrick Bacon) is just some random dumb kid.

Why would I be excited for Travis Sanheim? I find it hilarious when the Flyers are consistently inconsistent.

Are you saying Sanheim sucks? Or that Hart wasn't f***ing awful last year?

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Why would I be excited for Travis Sanheim? I find it hilarious when the Flyers are consistently inconsistent.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Sanheim is mediocre and Hart was ****ing brutal.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
You guys need to stop regurgitating everything you see on Twitter because you get excited by graphs and numbers. "TopDownHockey" (a.k.a. Patrick Bacon) is just some random dumb kid.

On that tweet, you do have to ask why a pair of Sanheim and Myers seemed to have such poor results on the ice.

Philly's goaltending was godawful, but how much was it due to them allowing free looks on net?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

WAR is hilarious to use for defenseman when its built upon a model without distinct stats that can accurately define "defense". You're not getting anywhere close to a reliable metric until we have in-house systems built to exclusively parse game data.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
The Hayes and Risto deals are going to hinder the Flyers for a while. Let's not make any more mistakes like those please.

Reactions: backburner

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I've always felt like the Flyers were the Flames east. Sketchy goaltending, you can never tell if they are going to make the playoffs or not, dodgy playoff performances...

Exactly. I think of the Flames as the Flyers of the west. Make the playoffs one year and look promising, the next year wonder how the team isn't worst overall. No real hope of winning the cup, no real hope of getting the first overall pick, doomed to finish between 1th and 17th each year.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Exactly. I think of the Flames as the Flyers of the west. Make the playoffs one year and look promising, the next year wonder how the team isn't worst overall. No real hope of winning the cup, no real hope of getting the first overall pick, doomed to finish between 1th and 17th each year.
And will look even more the same a year from now when Gaudreau is a Flyer.....

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A really puzzling contract. If the impetus was to avoid a snarly arbitration process, then the Flyers could have just given him a generous 1-year deal (i.e. higher than he was likely to get in arbitration). I have no idea why the Flyers would want to give Sanheim the 2nd year, and walk him straight to UFA.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
A really puzzling contract. If the impetus was to avoid a snarly arbitration process, then the Flyers could have just given him a generous 1-year deal (i.e. higher than he was likely to get in arbitration). I have no idea why the Flyers would want to give Sanheim the 2nd year, and walk him straight to UFA.
Chuck Fletcher is terrible at asset management.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chuck Fletcher is terrible at asset management.
I'm not all that familiar with his overall body of work, but Sanheim was looking at maybe $4.0-4.25M in a 1-year arbitration award (maybe less). So, if Fletcher wanted to be generous, just offer Sanheim $4.5M on a 1-year deal, and then reserve the option for extending him after the season. Just... :huh:

Reactions: Flukeshot

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Well in that aspect nobody on our team is worth more than 5 million because not a single player played above that pay range, but the years previous they all played well the team as a whole was hot garbage last season and everyone had bad seasons he’s worth that based on previous years besides last, while I don’t agree with dragging him to ufa it’s what he deserved and he maybe got more from arbitration who knows
Outside of very few players on Flyers team ... no one has "The years" of playing well.. it is very much up and down and based on one or two good years, we see huge bumps in salaries, in this case player(s) did not even have a decent season to get raise.. See Hart or Sanheim.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
How did it work out for the Sabres when Risto was playjng the big minutes?

He needs to be sheltered. Use him for his strengths and avoid his many weaknesses and you will have a much better looking player.
Hextall wouldn't have let this happen
as a rival fan i really think letting hextall go was a big mistake. seemed to me he was building something real good

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
as a rival fan i really think letting hextall go was a big mistake. seemed to me he was building something real good

Very much agreed.

Flyers fans still try to judge him by wins or UFA signings when they weren't top goals during his regime.

About the time he was fired is when he started to transition to having a current-winning team (signing JVR was the big signal for me - fired not terribly long after).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad