Confirmed Trade: [PHI/STL] Brayden Schenn to Blues for Lehtera, the 27th pick and a future 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Its top 10 protected, but its not automatic. The Blues could opt to still give up the 9th pick (for example) or choose to draft someone and give up the next year's first and a 3rd the following year.

This is how i understood it as well. If its outside of the top 10 - it becomes the flyers pick. If its inside the top 10, Blues have the option to keep it, or defer it to next year, which costs them an additional 3rd as well.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
That's not fair to Schenn. He's a much better player than Clarkson.

Difference between looking at stats and watching a guy actually play. Production isn't his problem. He will leave you frustrated everywhere else on the ice and if you don't put him in the right position to succeed - 2nd line RW with a center who can drive play (that he has chemistry with) - then he will have you ripping your hair out.

This isn't some new position Flyers fans have adopted en masse in response to his being dealt. This goes back years. Just look up old Schenn threads on the Flyers forum.

Yep most of my fellow posters on the Flyers site hated Brayden, not me however. There were other players on the club who played worse but were given a pass. Before Brayden it was his brother Luke who was traded for the soft boiled egg JVR. It was not Luke's fault he was part of a deal gone bad by Paul Holmgren. Then of course it was Jeff Carter who could score 3 goals a game and the fans would still find something to complain about. And like this deal with the blues as much as I liked Jeff the trade was to good to pass up. I have to have faith in Ron Hextall and his staff because there were a lot of players on the board at 27 who I liked way better than Frost. And next years pick will be a late 1st in my opinion. Anyway I hope this trade down the road will turn out to be a win-win deal for both clubs but right now the Blues won this deal in my mind by getting a 25 year old entering his prime years who plays a lot better than many people give him credit for. I know the caps (mostly T.J.) are happy to see him move out of the Metro.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Schenn is a replacement for Perron who we lost to VGK. The Blues score by committee outside of Tarasenko. If Schenn can put up anywhere between 40-50 pts next year, we'll be fine. The Blues count on distributing the scoring among a lot of players instead of having one big scoring line. Schenn allows a few of our top prospects to keep the scoring spotlight off of them for their first season up and let them come up without the pressure of immediate success.

This trade addressed needs for both teams and was a win-win. The way some people act around here some team always has to be on the losing side of a trade.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Schenn is a replacement for Perron who we lost to VGK. The Blues score by committee outside of Tarasenko. If Schenn can put up anywhere between 40-50 pts next year, we'll be fine. The Blues count on distributing the scoring among a lot of players instead of having one big scoring line. Schenn allows a few of our top prospects to keep the scoring spotlight off of them for their first season up and let them come up without the pressure of immediate success.

This trade addressed needs for both teams and was a win-win. The way some people act around here some team always has to be on the losing side of a trade.

This. Schenn is what he is - a good complimentary winger. He's not great, but hell give you 100% every game, and as long as he gets a little PP time, 45+ shouldn't be a problem.

After having some time to digest this, Flyers cleared cap in two years when they will need it most. This opens up the possibility of a Simmonds re-sign(though i'm not in favor of it, unless its a 4-5 year deal), and added some first round picks which, although they may be late, Flyers seem to hit more often than not with mid-late first rounders. Ill take my chances on those for a player who was good, but certainly not 'core' in Philadelphia. Simmonds can do the net front thing better, and it opens open a spot for Konecny,Couturier, Weal, or Patrick on that unit.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
2 late firsts and a terrible contract for Schenn is not great. I don't even like him that much, but I think St. Louis did well

I can't even imagine the internal conflict you experienced in writing this post. On one hand, can't give any current or former Flyers player any sort of praise at all. On the other, can't give the Flyers any praise for trading said player. I think you resolved it nicely by ******** on both the player and the return.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I can't even imagine the internal conflict you experienced in writing this post. On one hand, can't give any current or former Flyers player any sort of praise at all. On the other, can't give the Flyers any praise for trading said player. I think you resolved it nicely by ******** on both the player and the return.
In the grand scheme of things, two late firsts is not a great return. The chances of finding a top 4 or top 6 forwards are likely less than 50/50.

27th OA picks from 00-13

Martin Samuelson, Jeff Woywitka, Mike Morris, Jeff Tambellini, Jeff Schultz, Joe Finley, Ivan Vishnevsky, Brendan Smith, John Carlson, Phil Paradis, Mark Visentin, Vlad Namestnikov, Henrik Samuelson, Marko Dano.

But yes, I'm a hater lol

Last edited:

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
This is EXACTLY correct. The Blues won in the short term while the Flyers are looking to win this trade down the road.

Honestly, it was a damned good trade for both teams. Both got what they wanted and "win" in their own time frame.

This really is the definition of a "win-win" deal

Bingo!

The Blues averaged about 0.3 goals per game in the playoffs. We lost David Perron, who isn't a goal scoring threat in the playoffs but can be in the regular season. Two years ago we lost Backes and Brouwer and Perron was their replacement. We desperately needed a top 6 goal scorer. We got one in Brayden Schenn.

He is going to play center here for a bit until he proves he isn't a good fit there. Whether it works or not remains to be seen. I hear that he struggled there in Philly but he has more experience under his belt now and will be playing with some pretty strong all-around wingers.

If Schenn has to move to the wing then that's ok. We have wingers that can potentially move to center in Steen and even Fabbri. The key is that Schenn continues to pot 25+ goals a year. I'm optimistic that he can maybe be at the 30 goal level. I love the progression in his numbers through his career. He is getting better and better.

Not only did we get a 25 goal scorer in Schenn but we were able to move Lehtera, an absolutely terrible hockey player with a huge price tag.

The late 1st round picks don't mean much to me considering we got Thomas and Kostin in the 1st round this year. Our prospect pipeline is in great shape for the next 2-3 years. We can afford to part with some high picks to get a young top 6 forward.

Overall we have lost Lehtera and Perron and gained Fabbri and Schenn since the playoffs ended. The Blues are going to be dangerous next year as long as they avoid serious injuries.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
In the grand scheme of things, two late firsts is not a great return. The chances of finding a top 4 or top 6 forwards are likely less than 50/50

The Blues will like Schenn. Really good on the PP and plays a physical game.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Especially when Hextall REALLY, REALLY reached for that kid Frost.

Not really, there were a number of people that had Frost as a late first or early second round prospect. He was also a guy that gained considerable helium through the Combine and interview process. You can say those things don't matter, but regardless we're talking about maybe 8-10 spots, which is barely a reach at the end of the first round.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Schenn was 3rd on the Flyers in terms of depth on RW. Really only produces on the PP. 2 first round picks is a great return, and he should be a decent winger for the Blues (So long as they don't think he is a Centre).

Lehtera is what he is, a bottom 6 guy on a bad deal and will be gone before the Flyers new core is fully established.

Blues got short term relief and Flyers keep on stocking up on quality prospects. Ones that seem to produce more at even strength.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
Even though the Blues are going to try Schenn at C, I don't think the trade was made with the expectation that that will work out.

Last year, StL's 2RW was David Perron (who is a natural LW). Before acquiring Schenn, StL's 2RW was probably either MPS or Jaskin.

The takeaway is that the Blues have big holes at RW and, with the loss of Backes and Perron, slot/net-front presence on the PP, and it seems like even with all the criticism taken, those are holes that Schenn can fill. Furthermore, although I don't expect he will stick at C, I think there is at least potential for his 5v5 production to go up, considering that the Flyers as a team have been awful at 5v5 and that no doubt affected his personal numbers.

While I'm not as ecstatic about this trade as some others, even with all of his weaknesses taken into account, Schenn is an addition that makes sense for the Blues.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
In the grand scheme of things, two late firsts is not a great return. The chances of finding a top 4 or top 6 forwards are likely less than 50/50.

27th OA picks from 00-13

Martin Samuelson, Jeff Woywitka, Mike Morris, Jeff Tambellini, Jeff Schultz, Joe Finley, Ivan Vishnevsky, Brendan Smith, John Carlson, Phil Paradis, Mark Visentin, Vlad Namestnikov, Henrik Samuelson, Marko Dano.

But yes, I'm a hater lol

:lol: I can't believe you actually responded to my post with any degree of sincerity.

And dude, you are the hatiest hater that ever hatered. It's your defining quality.

Also, I have full confidence in the Flyers scouts to pick talent in the first round, particularly in finding value late in the round.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The below clip is basically Lehtera in a nutshell. Guy has a clear cut breakaway and Suter just glides up to him and knocks him down. Flyers got solid value in their picks, don't expect any value from Lehtera.

https://streamable.com/1tn8m

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This PP narrative is so incredibly false, it's become comical.

Without sounding confrontational, whats false about it? 28 of Schenn's 55 points came on the PP, roughly half.

At the end of the day, they do all count the same, that i'll agree to. But his 5v5 stats are lacking. Whether you can attribute that to an overall bad 5v5 team or not (which i tend to agree with) is debatable, but saying that Schenn gets a good portion of his points on the PP is not.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Without sounding confrontational, whats false about it? 28 of Schenn's 55 points came on the PP, roughly half.

At the end of the day, they do all count the same, that i'll agree to. But his 5v5 stats are lacking. Whether you can attribute that to an overall bad 5v5 team or not (which i tend to agree with) is debatable, but saying that Schenn gets a good portion of his points on the PP is not.

That just means Schenn is an exceptional power play performer. Not that he is poor or "lacking" at even strength.

Schenn had one more point than Giroux at even strength last season. The year before, Giroux had one more point than Schenn at even strength. So they are tied for the past two years.

Overall, Schenn has been 3rd on the Flyers in even strength points each of the last two years.

You don't put up 55-60 points in back to back seasons without having some ability to produce at 5 on 5.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Locker room issues? I'm just speculating.

It's been spelled out pretty clearly, if you read the thread.

To recap:

Schenn is a natural C who hasnt been able to solidify himself as a C at the NHL level, and plays best at RW. We were playing him at LW because he was buried behind Simmonds and Voracek on the RW.

A good portion of Schenn's production came from being a net front presence on the PP, a role which should be fairly easy to replace (he took it over from Hartnell when we traded Hartnell)

In two years, when Lehtera's cap disappears, the Flyers will need to resign Provorov and potentially Simmonds. Moving Schenn makes the latter a possibility.

Flyers have Linblom coming over from the SEL this year, who will likely get a crack at the top LW spot and likely, the top PP, if they stick with 4f, 1d.

Flyers only real needs at this point, for the entirety of the organization, is young forward prospects (D and G are both covered, Patrick helps, but he won't be enough on his own). This trade lets us move a non-core player that we should be able to replace, for two first round picks, which the Flyers draft well with, generally.

I don't think it's a slam dunk win, especially if you only look at the context of the trade. But it's far from a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad