Confirmed Trade: [PHI/STL] Brayden Schenn to Blues for Lehtera, the 27th pick and a future 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Schenn's goal numbers could flip next season: ~15 goals at ES and ~10 on the PP.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
When I say Schenn's not as good even strength I mean it more defensively and positionly. He's not consistent with really playing physical either IMO. Schenn is also known to make some brain farts. You're getting a good player though. As a Flyers fan a player I'd say a lot of the time he reminds me of someone like Scott Hartnell. If he puts it together to he can be a similar player to Oshie. I don't think he'll ever be as good of a 2 way player as Oshie because he just seems to lack that awareness. Still 50-60 points is very valuable and if he brings that physicality at least in the playoffs it's a bonus.

I'm not surprised if they try him at center. Worth a shot from their shoes. We tried him there a few times and it didn't work but maybe he finds some chemistry in STL. Good luck to Schenn.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
FWIW you basically just described Schwartz :laugh:

If Schenn can handle playing C between Schwartz & Tarasenko, then great! If not, slide him down to 2RW and let Fabbri & Stastny create chances for him to bury. Can't wait to see how Schenn fits into the Blues' line up.
I did. Hell, Tarasenko especially is just marvellous doing blue collar work in the corners and in traffic.

He just described Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri AND Sobotka.

One thing the Blues are not short on is wingers who excel in the corners.
However, I'm a bit finicky when it comes to handedness. A bunch of left shooters on a line, hmm...

Either way, one thing the Blues do probably better than the entire is league is not forcing the play from the back end. What we're essentially seeing Schenn being given all the opportunities to be that pivot.

Now that I've thought about it, there is a chance that he can end up developing into that 70 point first line center you've been looking for. I'll be interesting to see how things develop in St Louis. :)

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
The Blues have a loaded top 9

Schawrtz-Stasny-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Barbashev-Schenn
Sobotka-Berglund-Steen

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
First, all this arguing over a trade where both teams made out well is stupid.

Secondly, the argument that Schenn isn't vastly better on the PP than ES is also stupid. The teams best scorers are all vastly better on the PP than ES which includes Giroux and Voracek. The team has also struggled to produce offensively at ES for a long while, sometimes struggling to produce offensively at all (which is what you get when almost all your scoring forwards rely on PP production). Schenn is as much a reason for that as anybody. If you think that's a fals narrative to justify the trade then feel free to review the Flyers board where we've been complaining and arguing about his scoring consistency and ES potency for years. Hell, we have a poll that's been up long before this trade asking if Schenn is a core player, to which the majority said no.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A lot of our wingers are very good 2-way guys that have either played center or can play center in a pinch. To vary degrees of effectiveness at center, Schenn will probably have Steen, Schwartz, Sobotka, Barbashev, or Berglund as one of his linemates with Tarasenko as the other. Most like Steen or Schwartz with Sobotka being a possibility. Faceoff and defensive responsibilities can be shared if need be and he'll get prime offensive minutes.

If it doesn't work, he moves to 2nd line RW and he still fills a position of need.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
When I say Schenn's not as good even strength I mean it more defensively and positionly. He's not consistent with really playing physical either IMO. Schenn is also known to make some brain farts. You're getting a good player though. As a Flyers fan a player I'd say a lot of the time he reminds me of someone like Scott Hartnell. If he puts it together to he can be a similar player to Oshie. I don't think he'll ever be as good of a 2 way player as Oshie because he just seems to lack that awareness. Still 50-60 points is very valuable and if he brings that physicality at least in the playoffs it's a bonus.

I'm not surprised if they try him at center. Worth a shot from their shoes. We tried him there a few times and it didn't work but maybe he finds some chemistry in STL. Good luck to Schenn.

Everything I've read makes him seem like a less defensively sound Backes. The Blues are a generally responsible two-way team top-to-bottom, so I think if he can give them some more sandpaper in the Top 6 and provide a good net-front presence on the powerplay it'll work fine.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Everything I've read makes him seem like a less defensively sound Backes. The Blues are a generally responsible two-way team top-to-bottom, so I think if he can give them some more sandpaper in the Top 6 and provide a good net-front presence on the powerplay it'll work fine.

Schenn isn't exactly a net front presence. He played the center of the diamond on the Flyers PP. Aka Hartnell's old spot.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Schenn isn't exactly a net front presence. He played the center of the diamond on the Flyers PP. Aka Hartnell's old spot.

He's not a net front presence in the traditional sense of a big guy who sets up in the crease in front of the goalie, a la Wayne Simmonds. However, he does all of his best work from the dots in and he's very good around the net.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
A lot of our wingers are very good 2-way guys that have either played center or can play center in a pinch. To vary degrees of effectiveness at center, Schenn will probably have Steen, Schwartz, Sobotka, Barbashev, or Berglund as one of his linemates with Tarasenko as the other. Most like Steen or Schwartz with Sobotka being a possibility. Faceoff and defensive responsibilities can be shared if need be and he'll get prime offensive minutes.

If it doesn't work, he moves to 2nd line RW and he still fills a position of need.

Tank and Schwartz always seem to be paired together. I think they'll try Schenn on 1st line C, but I don/t think he sticks. I really wanna see Fabbri/Barbashev/Schenn, though. Or even Sobotka centering. He's less skilled than Barbashev, but more productive and probably a little bit better shot. So in a way, I hope the Schenn center experiment fails. But also, considering what Flyers fans have said seemingly unanimously, it has a pretty good chance of happening.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'm guessing they mean Richie and Carter, too.

I know you aren't really debating the point but he said the trend was to deal away players before their prime and there's no questioning the fact that both of those guys had their prime seasons in Philly.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I know you aren't really debating the point but he said the trend was to deal away players before their prime and there's no questioning the fact that both of those guys had their prime seasons in Philly.

I wouldn't argue that, sure. Richie fell off a cliff almost immediately. Carter was probably still in his prime for a few years, but definitely not traded before their primes.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
He's going to have a career year if he centers Schwartz and Tarasenko

If Schwartz-Tarasenko can carry a 20 point player in Lehtera to 44 points I could totally see if they all stuck together all year Schenn and Schwartz getting 60-65+ and Tarasenko getting 80-85+. Schenn is a much better player than Lehtera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad