Confirmed with Link: [PHI/SJS] Justin Braun acquired for 2019 2nd (#41) and 2020 3rd Part II

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I think Fletcher's main purpose as a GM is to help other GMs get out of their Cap predicaments as kindly as possible.

"You have a cap crunch? Here, let me help you out. No real cost to you, we'll make it easy for you." He needs to understand that people with bad cap situations have their feet to the fire and you can play hardball.

I'm excited to see what he gives up to get James Reimer.

"Here is Gostibehere, we retain all of his salary, and our first for Reimer - you can't have a season without an incompetent backup."

You know something dumb is coming.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If the minutes are evenly distributed, which there's no reason to assume they won't be, then what's the problem?

I've missed an awful lot of things this offseason, so I'm genuinely asking here.

What signs do you see that Provy will be dialed back? Or is this just a bet that Vigneault will deploy the way he did with the Rangers?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
It's funny the contrast between many the comments here and on the main board. Quite a few people on the main board think it's a win win trade.

Braun is good at what he does. He will retain his value at the trade deadline if need be.

There's still a chance to recoup a pick for Hagg or Morin.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It's funny the contrast between many the comments here and on the main board. Quite a few people on the main board think it's a win win trade.

Braun is good at what he does. He will retain his value at the trade deadline if need be.

I think you'll find that the quality of content is significantly lackluster on the main boards compared to the team sections.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

the sky is falling. This is worse than when we let Gustaffson go to the KHL.

(I think that got like 7 pages...still work to do guys!)

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
People keep giving the benefit of the doubt to the GM too despite Fletcher not really having ever earned it based on his history. Aside from that, unless he’s trading out an impact player from our team, I’ll be surprised if he does much more than sign a Hayes type in free agency. In terms of impact players.

Niskanen and Braun eat up a lot of our spare cap space we had and they cost our two best trade assets to do so. I do have a problem with these trades not moving the needle much and the players in question. I have just as much issue about opportunity cost here too. If these two moves comprise the bulk of our off-season moves to become competitive then that’s an extraordinarily sad attempt at doing so. In my eyes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If they move Hagg for a 2nd, i'll be f***ing pumped.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@CanadianFlyer88 @bennysflyers16 @LorneMalvo Since the last one got closed before I could respond...

You each said something about the pairs getting equal icetime...

My question is: do any of you actually believe that will happen?

If that were actually going to happen, I'd be fine with it, but I can't imagine that happening because it just never happens.
Every coach has his favorites he leans on and the other pairs suffer. Especially a coach like AV who has a rep for favoring vet defensemen... someone is going to suffer and if it's Ghost or Sanheim we're in serious trouble, since those are our two best defensemen.

Reactions: baudib1

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I've missed an awful lot of things this offseason, so I'm genuinely asking here.

What signs do you see that Provy will be dialed back? Or is this just a bet that Vigneault will deploy the way he did with the Rangers?
Provy is often guilty of trying to do too much, but that's not really the reason I would expect the Flyers to reduce his minutes.

I think you can pair him with Niskanen and tell them they will get the hardest minutes. Sanheim and Braun could get the leftovers.

The is a great opportunity to give Ghost and Myers high quality zone starts.

AV has his demons relying on guys like Girardi, but I see that guy as Provy on the Flyers, not Niskanen or Braun.

All this is assuming the pairs are as I have listed, but AV had three good pairs in Vancouver and used them to their strengths in that 2011 run. I give him the benefit of the doubt here until he proves otherwise.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If they move Hagg for a 2nd, i'll be ****ing pumped.

Yeah, if they can manage that then I’ll be much happier with this trade. I’ll be semi-surprised though.

He shouldn’t bring back anything but Brandon Manning got interest from three teams before the league catching on so who the f*** knows.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
@CanadianFlyer88 @bennysflyers16 @LorneMalvo Since the last one got closed before I could respond...

If that were actually going to happen, I'd be fine with it, but I can't imagine that happening because it just never happens.
Every coach has his favorites he leans on and the other pairs suffer. Especially a coach like AV who has a rep for favoring vet defensemen... someone is going to suffer and if it's Ghost or Sanheim we're in serious trouble, since those are our two best defensemen.
Yes, I think it will be relatively evenly distributed.

I won't worry about it until I see a reason to.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I repeat: Roman Polak was traded for two 2nd rd picks not long ago as a sheer playoff rental, such is the market for blueliners.

A 2nd & a future 3rd for at least a full season of a 21 minute defenseman like Braun is not an overpayment.

20 minute defensemen are hard to find.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I'm sure the ice time won't be exactly equal. It's always a question of matchups. But I don't expect a huge difference. They probably don't expect Provorov to carry the entire defense anymore now.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
People keep giving the benefit of the doubt to the GM too despite Fletcher not really having ever earned it based on his history. Aside from that, unless he’s trading out an impact player from our team, I’ll be surprised if he does much more than sign a Hayes type in free agency. In terms of impact players.

Niskanen and Braun eat up a lot of our spare cap space we had and they cost our two best trade assets to do so. I do have a problem with these trades not moving the needle much and the players in question. I have just as much issue about opportunity cost here too. If these two moves comprise the bulk of our off-season moves to become competitive then that’s an extraordinarily sad attempt at doing so. In my eyes.
can't say I think Fletcher has done a bad job at all.

I was convinced they'd be trading like crazy to improve the team now after the hextall fire...that hasn't happened. We kept almost everything of value. I was happily wrong.

Imo ..we have improved on defense. This team needed some marginal upgrades and TIME for young players to figure it out...not wholesale trades. Fletch has made some incremental upgrades.

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Now, I would not be surprised if Ghost gets traded for the 2C. Perhaps for Kadri and Kapanen?
I would be fine with a deal like that (give or take).

Giroux, Coots, Konecny
JVR, Patrick, Voracek
Lindblom, Kadri, Kapanen
Hartman, Laughton, NAK

Provorov, Braun
Sanheim, Myers
Morin, Niskanen

Hart
???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad