Confirmed Trade: [PHI/NSH/VGK] Ryan Ellis to PHI, Cody Glass and Philippe Myers to NSH, Nolan Patrick to VGK

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It's one of those rare lose-lose-lose trades.

Since nobody’s done anything, it’s looking more like draw-draw-draw. Although I guess you could give everybody an L since all of the players could have been moved for picks.

Yup I don't think any of the 3 teams would call it much of a win for the this.

Nashville fans are definitely happy about this. We got rid of Ellis' contract before he got even slower and more injury prone and it made room for Fabbro and Carrier, which has worked out well considering how Josi has played since Fabbro became his partner. It sucks that Myers didn't work out for whatever reason, but this opened up some space for us and Glass had a great season in the AHL and should be up full time next season.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Definitely more of a L for flyers than everyone else since Ellis does not fit on a team that needs a total tear down. Vegas takes an L too since Cody glass can still be a late bloomer with no injury concerns.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
The good ol' boot to Fletcher's ass could change this rather quick no? Granted I don't know how the owner operates.
He's a lizard person who doesnt deserve his job. He is mentally f***ed, says the flyers have a "blank check" to fix the problems....not realizing the salary cap is a thing. He has empowered Valerie Camillo and Chuck Fletcher to run the organization into the ground. Camillo destroys the franchises relationship with the fanbase, in game experience, and community. She's come up with dumb gimmicks and theme nights, trashy distractions to the on ice product. She is running the flyers like a minor league baseball team. She's insisted the only people angry are the "older white males".

The flyers organization had absolutely zero need for these gimmicks when it maintained an honest, open relationship with the fanbase and showcased a desire to win and do right with the city of Philadelphia. She still has no idea how to fix the audio system in the arena and drowns out boos with an ear bleeding mix of Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy and EDM.

Chuck Fletcher on the other hand, was gifted the President and GM titles, and as a result of being his own boss, he is still the General Manager of this team...a complete joke.

Many longtime employees of the organization in upper management level positions have left the organization since Dave, Chuck and Valerie have sacked the franchise. There is little hope for the future, the farm system is primarily up in the NHL now and what's left in the system looks terrible.

Fans have no confidence in Chuck Fletcher for a rebuild, and the person who can actually do something about it, says "Chuck's his guy" and thinks he has done a pretty good job.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nashville fans are definitely happy about this. We got rid of Ellis' contract before he got even slower and more injury prone and it made room for Fabbro and Carrier, which has worked out well considering how Josi has played since Fabbro became his partner. It sucks that Myers didn't work out for whatever reason, but this opened up some space for us and Glass had a great season in the AHL and should be up full time next season.
I couldn't agree more.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Definitely more of a L for flyers than everyone else since Ellis does not fit on a team that needs a total tear down. Vegas takes an L too since Cody glass can still be a late bloomer with no injury concerns.
Agreed. Meyers didn’t work out for Nash but still a shot with Glass. Vegas didn’t get much out of Patrick. Philly on the hook for the Ellis deal and who knows how badly he slows down with his injury plagued season moving forward.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Agreed. Meyers didn’t work out for Nash but still a shot with Glass. Vegas didn’t get much out of Patrick. Philly on the hook for the Ellis deal and who knows how badly he slows down with his injury plagued season moving forward.
I mean he can also still be a decent dmen too. Can’t rule anything out at all considering how players bounce back after Injuries. It definitely doesn’t look good at all tho haha

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'm sure that's a fair assessment now. But I doubt at the time the Preds would have been content to just get rid of Ellis.

Glass' AHL numbers look great, is there a reason he hasn't spent more of the year in the NHL? Assuming it's just a positional depth thing.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm sure that's a fair assessment now. But I doubt at the time the Preds would have been content to just get rid of Ellis.

Glass' AHL numbers look great, is there a reason he hasn't spent more of the year in the NHL? Assuming it's just a positional depth thing.
You would be wrong, we were worried about Ellis' injury history, contract and slowness before this season. With Carrier out playing him last playoffs it made it a lot easier for us to move him.

I think many of us wanted Arvidsson and Ellis gone before the season.

Glass had a confidence issue and did not know how to win a face off coming into Nashville, with Johansen, Granlund and Sissons we could afford to be patient with Glass.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

I think most preds fans like Ellis…. We just worry about his injury history and how that will impact his ability to play long term. Prior to the trade he missed Atleast 20 games in 3 of the previous 4 seasons. Since two of those seasons were Covid shortened he ended up missing 27% of the possible games played. After missing almost this entire season with a mystery injury that seemingly isn’t getting better, I’m just not sure about his ability to be worth his contract in the near future.

Glass needed to build some confidence and get used to Nashvilles systems. I think you’ll see a good bit more of him next season in the nhl

Reactions: Viqsi and Flukeshot

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You would be wrong, we were worried about Ellis' injury history, contract and slowness before this season. With Carrier out playing him last playoffs it made it a lot easier for us to move him.

Glass had a confidence issue and did not know how to win a face off coming into Nashville, with Johansen, Granlund and Sissons we could afford to be patient with Glass.
It seemed very apparent, from their on-ice play, that both Ellis and Arvy were guys that Hynes was referring to when he questioned players "buying in" to the system/style the team was being asked to play. Ellis was an odd one because he seemed to personify "team first"/"sacrifice himself for the team," but evolved into Subban-lite in terms of reckless aggressiveness on the offensive side and lack of two-way commitment. I don't know if it was Subban's influence, or something Lavy just wasn't on top of correcting, or the new contract, but Human Rocketship went from a guy that some of us wished was the captain to one we were relieved to have seen moved on in a pretty short span of years.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont

I don't mind being wrong sometimes 😉

Thanks for the assessment.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I wonder if Ryan Ellis is available right now.
If J.T. Miller is still on the block, I wonder if there is a deal to be made with Philadelphia around Ellis/Laughton coming back the other way.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

I was happy that we freed up the cap space at that time. While he's good offensively, he was not a fit in Hynes' system. He tended to want to slow the action down whereas Hynes wanted to play with more pace. When he got injured last year, Carrier stepped in and played the system and it paid off. A lot was made about the HERD line and creating an identity for the Preds. I think Ellis going down and Carrier stepping in had a similar effect.

Ellis became a liability in the playoffs because of his size. Granted, Carrier and Fabbro aren't big by any means but don't shy away from contact in the playoffs. There are a few plays over the last few playoffs where Ellis stayed away from contact and it cost the team goals. At that point, I was done with him and I couldn't wait for him to move on.

Jarnkrok was a guy our fan base and announcers loved because he was a Swiss army knife and could be used up and down the lineup. He also disappeared in the playoffs too. Realistically, any player can be moved up and down the lineup and produce, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

All that to say, we moved on from three players who lacked size and any degree of pedigree in the playoffs to get larger and tougher to play against. We'll see if that pays off this year in the playoffs if we make the playoffs as we've been floundering as of late.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder if Ryan Ellis is available right now.
If J.T. Miller is still on the block, I wonder if there is a deal to be made with Philadelphia around Ellis/Laughton coming back the other way.
Philly is likely in full "blame the injuries" mode. They are keeping everyone and running it back. They will be spending the cap space too

Reactions: Pantokrator

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
He's a lizard person who doesnt deserve his job. He is mentally f***ed, says the flyers have a "blank check" to fix the problems....not realizing the salary cap is a thing. He has empowered Valerie Camillo and Chuck Fletcher to run the organization into the ground. Camillo destroys the franchises relationship with the fanbase, in game experience, and community. She's come up with dumb gimmicks and theme nights, trashy distractions to the on ice product. She is running the flyers like a minor league baseball team. She's insisted the only people angry are the "older white males".

The flyers organization had absolutely zero need for these gimmicks when it maintained an honest, open relationship with the fanbase and showcased a desire to win and do right with the city of Philadelphia. She still has no idea how to fix the audio system in the arena and drowns out boos with an ear bleeding mix of Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy and EDM.

Chuck Fletcher on the other hand, was gifted the President and GM titles, and as a result of being his own boss, he is still the General Manager of this team...a complete joke.

Many longtime employees of the organization in upper management level positions have left the organization since Dave, Chuck and Valerie have sacked the franchise. There is little hope for the future, the farm system is primarily up in the NHL now and what's left in the system looks terrible.

Fans have no confidence in Chuck Fletcher for a rebuild, and the person who can actually do something about it, says "Chuck's his guy" and thinks he has done a pretty good job.
This needs to somehow be a sticky so that everyone who says anything about the Flyers is confronted with reading this.

I laugh how other fan bases make comments about the Flyers as if the Flyers operate on a rational basis.

Typical intelligent non-Flyers fan comment: "Surely the Flyers are rebuilding because that team is trash with no future." Right, that makes sense, but the Flyers operate on Bizarro world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad