Confirmed Trade: [PHI/NSH/VGK] Ryan Ellis to PHI, Cody Glass and Philippe Myers to NSH, Nolan Patrick to VGK

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I mean Nashville got capspace and two players they hope pan out. I’d say so far we have the edge on this trade

Not picking on you only here but who says Ellis can't turn around next season and be a top 4 D for Philly?

I am saying for now, you have Ellis hurt, Glass/Myers not doing a ton, Patrick not doing a ton - so early on the biggest + is Ellis cap space cleared by NSH. I thought some of these guys would have bigger immediate impacts.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Players like Ellis are quicksand for a team like Philly--often injured, unreliable, and nearly impossible to replace in the interim, due to their role and salary commitment.

Even with his injury history, the Flyers overrated Ellis from jump and expected him to be their #1 or #1B defenseman, which is a major problem. Due to his durability issues and protected depth, Ellis was never a top dog on D in the NHL -- he had Weber, Suter, Josi, etc. above him at every step. The Preds knew he was a luxury (and an expensive one at that) and dealt him for futures.

The Flyers are completely screwed with Ellis. They invested heavily in him and now they're saddled with his hefty contract and term, but cannot depend on him. This is mud for a rebuilding team who is searching for a new identity and will need to rebuild for a few years.

I thought the trade for Philly was pretty good until I saw fans and the Philly writers clamoring over Ellis like he was the next Chris Pronger or a prime Kimmo Timonen. At the point I knew the Flyers were doomed.

Not sure where they go from here though.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He knew Ellis would suffer an injury 5 games in that he’s never had before, that would take him out the entire season? I sure wish we had a clairvoyant in our front office.

Of course not. But Poile knew that Ellis was both injury prone and no longer suited to the Predators system. He was also signed long term for big money. So getting a couple of assets for a player that was both of no use to us and had a significant cap hit was hardly "taking the Preds to the woodshed" as the OP commented. The fact that the Flyers have thus far got nothing out of this is further confirmation.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
The biggest surprise to me about this trade is that Philly gave Myers top 4 ice time last year. He's expensive for a #7/8 scratch. Actual salary goes up to $3.8M next year. That's gonna sting.

You can see the potential, but he's got a ways to go.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Players like Ellis are quicksand for a team like Philly--often injured, unreliable, and nearly impossible to replace in the interim, due to their role and salary commitment.

Even with his injury history, the Flyers overrated Ellis from jump and expected him to be their #1 or #1B defenseman, which is a major problem. Due to his durability issues and protected depth, Ellis was never a top dog on D in the NHL -- he had Weber, Suter, Josi, etc. above him at every step. The Preds knew he was a luxury (and an expensive one at that) and dealt him for futures.

The Flyers are completely screwed with Ellis. They invested heavily in him and now they're saddled with his hefty contract and term, but cannot depend on him. This is mud for a rebuilding team who is searching for a new identity and will need to rebuild for a few years.

I thought the trade for Philly was pretty good until I saw fans and the Philly writers clamoring over Ellis like he was the next Chris Pronger or a prime Kimmo Timonen. At the point I knew the Flyers were doomed.

To be fair I don't recall a single person saying this was a bad trade for the Flyers at the time of it. Nor do I recall anyone suggest he's the second coming of Pronger or Timonen. Pretty sure expectations were he'd be a steady hand similar to what Niskanen was. But with the power of hindsight, it's easy to be so critical...

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Not picking on you only here but who says Ellis can't turn around next season and be a top 4 D for Philly?

I am saying for now, you have Ellis hurt, Glass/Myers not doing a ton, Patrick not doing a ton - so early on the biggest + is Ellis cap space cleared by NSH. I thought some of these guys would have bigger immediate impacts.
That’s why I used the qualifier “so far”. Ellis is as of right now the best player in the trade. I another plus for Nashville was giving Fabbro and carrier more responsibility which has been great for them and their development

Reactions: Gh24

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I think Nashville is pretty happy to rid themselves of that contract. If Myers or glass turn it around that will be a bonus
correct. the essentials of the trade were Ellis playing for you (PHI) versus not paying Ellis $6.25M for 6 more years (NAS). The other players involved only increased Nashville's upside, with no downside.

Few teams ever get to trade the back end of such contracts. Based on this season's results, Nashville has cleaned up, and Philly has added their newest entry in the annual "Top 10 Worst NHL Contracts" sweepstakes.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The biggest surprise to me about this trade is that Philly gave Myers top 4 ice time last year. He's expensive for a #7/8 scratch. Actual salary goes up to $3.8M next year. That's gonna sting.

You can see the potential, but he's got a ways to go.

The Flyers were pretty high on him and that opinion apparently informed the terms of the contract. He was pretty effective at entry defense for a bit. Hope he’s able to carve out a regular role with the Predators

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I guess Philly never did a medical exam on Ellis, or have any knowledge on how absolutely brittle he is?

Dude's been out with a mystery ailment since November, with little to no updates on progress until today. If they finally do decide to shut him down and prep for next season, so be it.

What a gut punch, though, for Flyers fans thinking their team acquired a top-4 blueliner only to get......Ryan Ellis. :help:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I guess Philly never did a medical exam on Ellis, or have any knowledge on how absolutely brittle he is?

Dude's been out with a mystery ailment since November, with little to no updates on progress until today. If they finally do decide to shut him down and prep for next season, so be it.

What a gut punch, though, for Flyers fans thinking their team acquired a top-4 blueliner only to get......Ryan Ellis. :help:

Haha, gut punch? Still think it's worth the shot. Wasn't a bad trade by Fletcher in isolation. The other shit he did in the offseason made this trade stink a bit.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I thought it was a pretty interesting trade when it happened. Seems like none of the guys have really worked for any of the teams?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not sure who the bigger joke is, the Flyers medical staff or Ryan Ellis.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

You think we're worried about gut punches?

We have no gut left.

We are a decaying skeleton.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

In what bizarre world were the Flyers expecting Ellis to be their #1 or #1b Defenceman? They have Provorov for that. Or Sanheim, depending on who you ask. Plus, they went out and grabbed Ristolainen on top of everything else. I feel like the expectation for Ellis was...just to come in and stabilize the Top-4. Which hasn't really happened, but it's hard to really say much of anything, based on a small handful of games he's actually played for them.

It's definitely a quagmire when it comes to having a bigtime contract like that, who is not actually healthy and playing for your team as a contributor. That's never good. But players get injured. It happens. Not really something you can fully plan or prepare for. :dunno:

I think the bigger issue with Philly's defence, is that even if healthy, it's a bit of a mystery still, how all of the pieces would fit together. They've got a lot of...offensive-minded guys, without a whole lot of balance in more defensive-minded steady, stable, calming presence sort of partners to go around. Like...Sanheim, Ellis, Ristolainen are all really better suited to playing a sort of "secondary" role with offensive opportunities and softer matchups. And even their young guys coming up like Cam York are more or less in that similar mold. Provorov is the only one who is really cut out for a tougher matchup role...and even with him, he's played his best hockey in the brief stretch where he actually had the proper stabilizing presence to play with, in a guy like Niskanen. That's the sort of piece they really needed, more so than bringing in two more "offensive" guys with questionable matchup ability in Ellis+Ristolainen. But when it comes to trying to add Top-4D, you can't always pick and choose i guess. You have to make a bid on the guys that are "available" to you, and hope it works. Whether it does or not...honestly i don't think you can even say at this point. It's not working when one of the big acquisitions isn't playing...but that's sort of out of your control as a manager.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The strange case of Nolan Patrick. He dominated juniors. Was a 2 years pre drafr phenom in WHL. And ofC injuries can do a lot to you. But he got a lot of praise also when drafted and traines with Toews. Was Toews just a good fella to props him?

Whre is this player, what are this player, named Nolan Patrick??
Cant he just process the game quick enoug at NHL level?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
For such a big trade, this ended up barely mattering for all of the teams involved thus far.

Nashville got rid of Ellis' contract without retaining anything. Whatever we get out of Myers and Glass is a nice bonus.

He knew Ellis would suffer an injury 5 games in that he’s never had before, that would take him out the entire season? I sure wish we had a clairvoyant in our front office.

Ellis had an extensive injury history before this year and he's not getting any younger, faster or durable. Poile knew this.
Remember when everyone was laughing about him not even getting a 1st for Subban even though we got rid of his 9m contract? Same thing here.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad