Confirmed Trade: [PHI/NSH/VGK] Ryan Ellis to PHI, Cody Glass and Philippe Myers to NSH, Nolan Patrick to VGK

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For such a big trade, this ended up barely mattering for all of the teams involved thus far.
At least Patrick had a pretty nifty goal the other night.

But honestly I've been completely whelmed by Patrick. He looks fine as a 3c but I don't see a guy fighting to reach for his highest potential. He seems content being an acceptable hockey player..

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The strange case of Nolan Patrick. He dominated juniors. Was a 2 years pre drafr phenom in WHL. And ofC injuries can do a lot to you. But he got a lot of praise also when drafted and traines with Toews. Was Toews just a good fella to props him?

Whre is this player, what are this player, named Nolan Patrick??
Cant he just process the game quick enoug at NHL level?

Concussions followed by serious migraine problems followed by another concussion this year.

The guy has top 6 talent, but every time he gets hit you think it might be the end of him. And I think he thinks that too because it certainly seems like he isn't giving 100% effort most of the time.

Reactions: 1989

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder what all assets were on the table in trades for Ellis? I know we talked about Zamula+1st for months before the trade finally happened, and then we were THRILLED that it actually seemed like we might have gotten MORE than that in Myers+Glass.

Of course, from a Preds perspective, it would have been a good trade for us if we had just given up Ellis for nothing. Losing his contract and freeing up Carrier and Fabbro to have top-4 spots in the new system has benefitted us regardless of any return. But past that...

I'm just wondering what all kinds of assets Poile might have had on the table to choose from. With or without Patrick or even Philly involved, say. Because of course while we were shocked we got "so much" in Myers + Glass... well, we all know how that has gone so far... the book is not closed... but so far the organization is having trouble putting Myers in the lineup, and Glass has been... a good AHL player. If we can't use Myers as a regular 3rd pair D soon, I don't know how we justify paying him $3.8M next season when his buyout is so painless... -$617k next season and +$633k the year after is better than paying $3.8M to a healthy scratch. So in "Glass-half-empty" (pun intended) outlook... we might have gotten nothing for Ellis after all.

In which case if 1st round picks or other assets were on the table instead, either from Philly or other teams, well, that could turn out to be a missed opportunity if things don't turn around for Myers and Glass.
:dunno:

Reactions: bukwas and mfilipo3

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
At least you've seen your guys play, I often forget that Ellis is even on the team.
For what it's worth I'm glad Zamula is still in the system. Myers seemed to hit a plateau the year before and went backwards a step.

An Ellis that plays would have been well worth it.

Reactions: BernieParent

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I wonder what all assets were on the table in trades for Ellis? I know we talked about Zamula+1st for months before the trade finally happened, and then we were THRILLED that it actually seemed like we might have gotten MORE than that in Myers+Glass.

Of course, from a Preds perspective, it would have been a good trade for us if we had just given up Ellis for nothing. Losing his contract and freeing up Carrier and Fabbro to have top-4 spots in the new system has benefitted us regardless of any return. But past that...

I'm just wondering what all kinds of assets Poile might have had on the table to choose from. With or without Patrick or even Philly involved, say. Because of course while we were shocked we got "so much" in Myers + Glass... well, we all know how that has gone so far... the book is not closed... but so far the organization is having trouble putting Myers in the lineup, and Glass has been... a good AHL player. If we can't use Myers as a regular 3rd pair D soon, I don't know how we justify paying him $3.8M next season when his buyout is so painless... -$617k next season and +$633k the year after is better than paying $3.8M to a healthy scratch. So in "Glass-half-empty" (pun intended) outlook... we might have gotten nothing for Ellis after all.

In which case if 1st round picks or other assets were on the table instead, either from Philly or other teams, well, that could turn out to be a missed opportunity if things don't turn around for Myers and Glass.
Yea that 1st rounder this year would of been really nice to have

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Haha Flyer fans have been saying that we won this trade, but it’s interesting to hear Fletcher lost another one.

If the flyers didn’t have a first this year…

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How's Cody Glass doing? I saw he just got called back up, is that right?

Yes, and he had an assist on one of his first shifts yesterday. It was a secondary, but it was a nice cross-ice, thread-the-needle pass under pressure. He was on the 4th line with Tolvanen and Tomasino. It's not every day that you see a 4th line of recent 1st rounders.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yes, and he had an assist on one of his first shifts yesterday. It was a secondary, but it was a nice cross-ice, thread-the-needle pass under pressure. He was on the 4th line with Tolvanen and Tomasino. It's not every day that you see a 4th line of recent 1st rounders.
I like the idea of letting the young guys plays together. Can shelter them pretty good and let them start building some chemistry. They are the future of the team after all

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It still hasn't been a "nothing" move for the Preds since it has given Josi more freedom which has been huge for us, and allowed us to use Carrier and Fabbro more and they've been better than Ellis had become.

But now we know Myers will be bought out so he was truly "less than nothing" for us in the deal. Glass had a good season in the AHL and is basically guaranteed to make the roster next season... what he makes of that is still very much TBD, but at least he looks like he'll be in the plans in some capacity.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
It’s crazy that as big as this trade looked this summer, the 4 players have combined for a whopping 17 points this year, and been an absolute nothing move (not saying it will continue to be)
This is fun. 17 points combined amongst these players. Now do games played.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It still hasn't been a "nothing" move for the Preds since it has given Josi more freedom which has been huge for us, and allowed us to use Carrier and Fabbro more and they've been better than Ellis had become.

But now we know Myers will be bought out so he was truly "less than nothing" for us in the deal. Glass had a good season in the AHL and is basically guaranteed to make the roster next season... what he makes of that is still very much TBD, but at least he looks like he'll be in the plans in some capacity.
What happened with Myers? Seemed promising in Philly but clearly fell off a cliff this season

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What happened with Myers? Seemed promising in Philly but clearly fell off a cliff this season

He started to regress the more time he spent with the Flyers because ruining young players is what they are best at. There's a long list of promising prospects that looked great when the first came up and worse over time. They don't know how to teach young players how to be successful in the modern NHL. In fact they do the opposite.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nobody really knows. The Preds floated some story early in the season that they wanted him to put in extra work with the coaching staff offline from game action for a while, iron out some bugs in his game. But it didn't seem to make any great difference, and he never seemed to look appreciably better or worse at any point, aside from a couple stinker games bookending his time with the Preds.

I suspect there's a little more to the story than the official team position. He didn't look THAT terrible when he did play, aside from a couple of outlier games. But he must not have been receptive to the re-training concept in general or had some other issues/attitude problem going on behind the scenes. He didn't look irredeemably bad on the ice, anyway. For them to outright jettison him, send him to a different AHL team, and ultimately buy him out, he really must have convinced them that he's not worth the trouble. Probably we'll never know the full story.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This is fun. 17 points combined amongst these players. Now do games played.

Right… that’s the point. This should have been a huge trade, but every team has gotten essentially nothing to show for it THIS year. I literally said it won’t be the same going forward. Ryan Ellis alone has more than 17 points every year for the last 8 seasons

Reactions: Szechwan

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think they were trying to help him with correcting some flaws and developing some areas of his game. I'm not sure if it didn't take, or he was resistant, or if he started overthinking, or what, but his last few games he played with zero confidence and did not look comfortable playing the puck or making decisions on the ice--as bad as anything we've seen from Ben Harpur, who has mostly been dreadful, this season.

I suspect he'll get cut loose this off-season and then sign on somewhere where he'll be left alone to just sort of play his natural game and be fairly serviceable.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
It's one of those rare lose-lose-lose trades.
Since nobody’s done anything, it’s looking more like draw-draw-draw. Although I guess you could give everybody an L since all of the players could have been moved for picks.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
That is the most fun 4th line I’ve ever seen lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad