Confirmed with Link: [PHI/LA] Vincent Lecavalier & Luke Schenn for Jordan Weal & 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Wow, don't know how I feel. Sure as **** didn't see this coming. The value is good any way you slice it, but wow that is a crazy deal. Lecalvalier is meh, but alright, don't know how I feel about getting Schenn, he will need a lot of work.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
obiwan-arentthedroids-300x169.jpg

This is not the top 4 defenseman you are looking for.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Weal was never going to stick in the lineup as much as a lot of us wanted him to.

Don't see the big deal, Vinny for half a season and a playoff run won't hurt, and Schenn will be a fine bottom pairing guy.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Vinny is a great mentor for Shore. It's Schenn for Weal and a 3rd for the 50% retention. Knew Weak was never long for L.A. If Schenn turns it around,
Doughty-McNabb
Martinez-Muffin
McBain-Schenn
The Hoff
Forbort
Schultz

Is good depth for the playoffs.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Is Sutter going to let Lecavalier see the ice? I don't think so.

Is there some angle to this I am missing?

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
LoL! Didn't we stop making comically bad trades with Philly after the Roenick deal? WTF????

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Is Sutter going to let Lecavalier see the ice? I don't think so.

Is there some angle to this I am missing?

Maybe a precursor to something larger?

Schenn & Brown (50% retained)

..for...

Buff....???

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Historically disasters on D? seriously?(Howe, Desjardins,Pronger,Timonen, Ashby,McCrimmon, Daley, Van Impe) Schenn will be fine in LA.

Too much Whiskey, Pete

Ron*

In Dean I Trust

Absolutely.

What did we lose, anyway? Weal was never going to play here and a third. Big ****ing deal. In return we got a good bottom pairing guy and a player that wants to make one more big splash before he hangs them up. He's the 3C that some of you have been clamoring forever.

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
DL does it again.

Please bookmark this thread when we are lifting the Cup again in June. We finally got a solid defensive D to shore up the blue line and Vinny is retiring at the end of the year anyway.

Tony and Buddy are right, and the rest of you are overreacting. Think about it and repost, please.

OK, whew, I was starting to wonder if I was crazy. I like this trade.

If anyone can get Schenn to play better D, it's Sutter and the LA system. Lecavalier is a risk-free insurance policy who's gone at end of season.

We simply didn't have roster space for Weal and would've lost him for nothing if exposing him to waivers. The 3rd will get replaced in dealing another asset before the deadline. We still have too many roster players.

Don't get me wrong - I am not thrilled about the deal and it certainly came out of nowhere, but I can see what Dean is thinking with it and I trust Dean, so I like the deal.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Absolutely.

What did we lose, anyway? Weal was never going to play here and a third. Big ****ing deal. In return we got a good bottom pairing guy and a player that wants to make one more big splash before he hangs them up. He's the 3C that some of you have been clamoring forever.

can he win faceoffs though?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No doubt the Kings did not give up much in this deal.

Now Sutter has over half a season to see how the pieces fit. If Lecavalier truly wanted to be moved out of pride to show he still has 60 some odd games of hockey left in him, good on him.

I am willing to see what this adds in terms of overall depth for this season.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
So how much do we have left for a deadline trade, or are we pretty much done now? Weal was never going to work with us, so I'm fine with him walking. And at least the pick us a 3rd round.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Feels like a domino imo. Something else to come. Storms a brewin!

Schenn is a decent piece you guys got. I always thought Flyers fans were too hard on him because JvR was the player given up to get him, but he's a solid defensive defenseman. Can play pk and second pair minutes. Won't ever do anything flashy, will make mistakes, but he's solid.

Vinny is a waste even at 50% salary. Only thing you can hope is that maybe he just hated Philly and can rejuvenate himself in LA...but I wouldn't count on it...

If he can play 2nd pairing minutes, that would be amazing. I DO think he'll stick on 3rd pairing, which if all indicators are right, will be fine. Better than rotating three PMD's back there constantly, anyway. I'm glad a lot of Philly fans seem to be sticking up for him and saying he got a bum rap, it does seem like he was thrust into roles he was unprepared for in TO and it's affected him ever since. I trust that Sutter and John Stevens will work some magic with him.

Lecavalier, i'm not so sure about. I'm sure Sutter will give him a shot at 3C/4C and see what he's got left, but who knows really.

All cap penalties will be absorbed by Philly.

This is the key imo. Nothing beyond this year. It's all good.

Sounds like DL doing a solid for Hextall too, good vibes, heh.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
DL does it again.

Please bookmark this thread when we are lifting the Cup again in June. We finally got a solid defensive D to shore up the blue line and Vinny is retiring at the end of the year anyway.

Tony and Buddy are right, and the rest of you are overreacting. Think about it and repost, please.

I've watched all off the games they've played for the Flyers and I don't think I'm overreacting. Vinnie was tried at forward on wing and center on the 2nd, 3rd and 4t lines and struggled badly. He's been a healthy scratch for 22 straight games. CSN PHilly just reported that HExy has been trying to move Vinnie since mid summer with the Flyers retaining 50%, shopping him openly and until today, nobody was interested. The West. COnf. is a much more physical c onf. and a much tougher one, he struggled in the East, I don't see him making a miracle comeback.
Schenn? yes, he's physical, not bad on the PP , when he's used there. But he makes a lot of mistakes, and costly ones. I won't get tired of seeing #22 looking aghast on the replays when goals go in. He's been offered as trade bait for over two years now, no takers for a reason.
Yes, he's playing for a much better team but that doesn't give him a higher IQ or alter his decision making process.
Hexy needed CAP space, and he got some. They need to clear out room on the defense, still need to clear out some to make room for Provorov next year and he's still looking for a top 4 D.

If Schenn turns into a decent 3rd pairing d with limited minutes, good for him. But I would be surprised.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Really odd move. Flyers win the trade because there is potential upside to Weal in a more wide open conference and team.

For the Kings, its sort of neutral. VL may get a few games in for the Kings and Sutter will end up benching him. Then we can waive VL and send him down to the minors to open up roster space and additional cap space.

I guess Greene is out for the season and Schenn will play with McBain and Erhoff rotating. Forbort might get sent down or stay up with the team once VL is sent down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad