Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Joel Farabee signs extension with the Flyers (6 years, $5M AAV)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
NHL GMs as usual move in a herd. Whether it's good or bad behavior. You can study the concept in first-year university economics if you like. But this move, its the same weird pay the RFA well before we've lost contract control that so many other teams are also doing. This player has less time played, only 2 partial seasons...but that's hardly a factor I guess for GM negotiations any longer. Whatever

But goalies...goalies now need their own union and some special incentive contract clauses, or something, because they are getting absolutely screwed in the NHL contract race. As a group. Seeing Farabee get paid like this after showing what he did, and what he actually represents to the team's success, which to me is practically almost nothing...it's an insult to Hart, who represents a helluva lot more.
Well this is an awful take.

Farabee just paced for 57 pts. They think he can be a 60+ point guy for most of that contract. Locking him up now takes away any chance of an OS next offseason and if he has another good year....possibly asking for more money.

Hart is coming off an awful year. Like one of the worst goalies in the league awful year. He GOT more more than he deserved based on results. He should have only gotten approx. 2.25-2.5 million on a 3 year deal. The deal he got was based on expectations to be much better. Farabees was based on actual good results.

Yes Hart represents more in team success because when a goalie shits the bed, it often doesn't matter how well the rest of the team plays. Time for Hart to earn that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad