Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Joel Farabee signs extension with the Flyers (6 years, $5M AAV)

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
As if they were afraid someone would use the Canes os mo.
Sign him early and don’t risk losing him in a year.
Well done.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
As if they were afraid someone would use the Canes os mo.
Sign him early and don’t risk losing him in a year.
Well done.

Note that Carolina mainly used the unwritten retaliation rules as the iron-proof excuse to offer-sheet Kotkaniemi. Pretty sure that teams don't have to worry too much about an offer sheet unless they choose to offer-sheet someone. Bergevin essentially made himself vulnerable.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Note that Carolina mainly used the unwritten retaliation rules as the iron-proof excuse to offer-sheet Kotkaniemi. Pretty sure that teams don't have to worry too much about an offer sheet unless they choose to offer-sheet someone. Bergevin essentially made himself vulnerable.
If someone was really high on Farabee and he wanted to go there they could offer sheet some crazy one year contract and agree on a long-term deal after that.
Like with Kotkaniemi.
Flyers have to sign Giroux and Ristolainen and could be against the cap. Now they don‘t need to worry about offer sheets.
That‘s smart. And the numbers seem okay.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If someone was really high on Farabee and he wanted to go there they could offer sheet some crazy one year contract and agree on a long-term deal after that.
Like with Kotkaniemi.
Flyers have to sign Giroux and Ristolainen and could be against the cap. Now they don‘t need to worry about offer sheets.
That‘s smart. And the numbers seem okay.

Well, of course somebody can in theory. I'm just saying that the Canes designed that sheet as a one-off deterrence tactic against one GM in particular, and is therefore not likely to be duplicated by other teams or even by the Canes themselves. NHL GM culture tends to be very insular and club-ish.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'm sure there are some fancy nerd graphs that I'm not smart enough to understand, but they'll say the same thing, great deal!

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
We are at $66MM for 12 contracts for next year. This leaves approx. $16MM for the remaining 10-11, of which Giroux and Risto will take up about two-thirds. One thing is certain they will be playing ELCs or extending Brassard/Thompson.

Evergreen

I think this is a great deal for the Flyers. Farabee could lead the team in scoring this year.

Reactions: Sasso09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad