Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Joel Farabee signs extension with the Flyers (6 years, $5M AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hard not to love Farabee’s game. Had a cold streak in the middle of the season where he didn’t score in 15 of 18 games (4 points in that stretch) but his 20 goals and 38 points in 55 games was still a great sophomore season of development.

- His 31 ES points ranked 41st in the NHL
- He was only 7th among Flyers forwards in PP time so with more usage there - that bodes well for his raw production increasing even more
- He already was the Flyers 3rd most utilized PK forward after Couturier and Laughton - as a 20/21 year-old second year player

As his game matures - I see a legitimate first line, all-weather winger. He’s got the skating, the skill, the IQ and by all accounts is one of those guys who just has “it” - the dreaded “intangibles”. This contract could look like a bargain in very short order.

Reactions: Roo Mad Bro

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I don't see 70 point potential in him but see him being a 50-60 point player pretty consistently. Will be a good deal for flyers. If he can become a true star winger (70+) then it's a big steal
There is postential to get it tho and if he does even once it’s good

Reactions: hamzarocks

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I don't see 70 point potential in him but see him being a 50-60 point player pretty consistently. Will be a good deal for flyers. If he can become a true star winger (70+) then it's a big steal

He paced for 56 points last year as a 20 year old on a crappy Flyers team. Now while I expect his shooting percentage to regress a little, other aspects of his game will improve. Hopefully the Flyers will improve as well and I could easily see him pacing as a 70 point player per year.

Edit: Most of the past season, he was 21. February birthdate, so he'll play most of the upcoming season as a 21 year old as well.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
There is postential to get it tho and if he does even once it’s good

He paced for 56 points last year as a 20 year old on a crappy Flyers team. Now while I expect his shooting percentage to regress a little, other aspects of his game will improve. Hopefully the Flyers will improve as well and I could easily see him pacing as a 70 point player per year.

Edit: Most of the past season, he was 21. February birthdate, so he'll play most of the upcoming season as a 21 year old as well.

He's a good offensive player. Just getting 70 points can be difficult in the league. A guy like JVR has never gotten there despite having a very skilled game on front of the net and getting PP time.

Farabree probably isn't better in front of the net then JVR but is a better skater than JVR, and has a more of a shooting game. If they find a good trigger man to play him with at center he could get 70.

Flyers do have good winger depth now and long term which could impact his opportunities

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Came here to say that this contract will likely be used as a blueprint for future RFAs coming off their ELCs.

From a Canucks fan perspecitve—I think this is a bellwether for what Nils Hoglander could be looking at when he is eligible to be re-signed.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is a pretty substantial risk. In two years this could be the biggest steal of the league. But he shot 16% this year and Philly is on a general decline. I don't think he'll get worse than he currently is, which is a decent top-6 winger, but if he doesn't progress the way Fletcher thinks he will then the term could come back to bite them in the ass.

GMs are measured by the gambles they choose to take and this has the potential to bring Fletcher big dividends. I personally would have waited another year before this commitment but we'll see how it plays out.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This is a pretty substantial risk. In two years this could be the biggest steal of the league. But he shot 16% this year and Philly is on a general decline. I don't think he'll get worse than he currently is, which is a decent top-6 winger, but if he doesn't progress the way Fletcher thinks he will then the term could come back to bite them in the ass.

GMs are measured by the gambles they choose to take and this has the potential to bring Fletcher big dividends. I personally would have waited another year before this commitment but we'll see how it plays out.

Philly on a general decline? Interesting opinion.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Philly on a general decline? Interesting opinion.

This is our year to make the playoffs again.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Love it. Does this spell the end of Giroux? Not much coming off the books this offseason unless we trade/BO JVR.

That should've happened a while ago, if we're (all) being honest.

Regardless, this is a great deal for the Flyers. These Farabee and Couturier extensions are pure gold.

Interested to see how they handle Ristolainen, but more interested to see how he plays first. Very intrigued by that whole dynamic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad