Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Dale Weise (4 Years, $2.35M AAV)

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
They made the playoffs last year with a below average team. You don't they'll make it during the next four years?

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
I don't mind this signing :dunno: .

He was a good bottom 6 guy in VAN, forechecks hard, typical grinder. Not a lot of skill but has a heck of a lot of heart.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He'll do great in Philly, loved him on Montreal but we have too many bottom six guys already.

Cap hit is solid too since he'll be good for ~ 25 points a year, wish him the best in Philly.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
They had a fluke run at the end just like Ottawa the previous year, they won't be in the playoffs this season.

I mean they've missed twice very recently, right? It's certainly not unprecedented.
That is revisionist history. They turned things around once Gostisbehere was called up. Not to mention they lost one of their best defenseman in Michael Del Zotto down the stretch. A full season of Gostisbehere, Del Zotto, and Provorov likely making the team should significantly improve their team. Doesn't mean they make the playoffs but they have a decent shot.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
That is revisionist history. They turned things around once Gostisbehere was called up. Not to mention they lost one of their best defenseman in Michael Del Zotto down the stretch. A full season of Gostisbehere, Del Zotto, and Provorov likely making the team should significantly improve their team. Doesn't mean they make the playoffs but they have a decent shot.

Our problem will be scoring depth after the top 5 (Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier). The D should be better than last year. We will likely finish between 6th and 10th so we can definitely make the playoffs again if a few things go right.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Yup.

From Ghost's first game onward they went:

36-19-11

83 points in 66 games.
0.629 point %
103 point pace

Before that our D simply could not transition the puck to our forwards and we had virtually no threat from players joining the rush, and the puck was lost virtually every time it was passed back to the blueline.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yup.

From Ghost's first game onward they went:

36-19-11

83 points in 66 games.
0.629 point %
103 point pace

Before that our D simply could not transition the puck to our forwards and we had virtually no threat from players joining the rush, and the puck was lost virtually every time it was passed back to the blueline.

Yup.

And now that same team will exchange:

Manning for Provorov
Gagner/Umberger for Weise
White for Gordon

Plus hopefully not have Streit, Couts, MDZ and Jake all miss significant time and Giroux along with Ghost not having to play injured.(both had 2 surgeries this offseason)

If Laughton and/or Cousins take the next step in being quality 3rd liners, the team could have a very good year.

Oh...and Voracek should not have such an awful shooting % to start the season again like last year. He shot 5% lower than his career shooting % last year. Expect another 10 goals from him this year.

Last edited:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The fact he says "I can score 20" proves me he still hasn't understood what made him a great NHL depth player in the first place.

Foltronic

Jan 21, 2015
Loved his days as a Hab, so clutch in the playoffs. Hope he scores 20 for you guys and for his hard work to pay off. Dutch Gretzky.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Our problem will be scoring depth after the top 5 (Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier). The D should be better than last year. We will likely finish between 6th and 10th so we can definitely make the playoffs again if a few things go right.
Agreed. I know cap space was tight but I was surprised the Flyers didn't sign or trade for a top 6 winger. For example, maybe they could have taken that 2.3 million they gave to Weiss and 950K they gave to Gordon and invested it in a top 6 winger. It seems like they put more value on intangibles and two-way play than pure scoring which could be a mistake. That being said, I think both guys will help, especially Weise who seems like a perfect fit with their style of play under Hakstol. They are definitely going to have to win a lot of 3-2 / 2-1 type of games though with their current roster.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Habs fan here.

Weise is really great.

Nice personality and charisma.

Very fast player.

Useful third liner who can keep up at equal strenght on a first or second line. He is not a top 6 player tho.

Very explosive and fast, big bodied third liner who can chip in 15 goals.

I think a good comparison to him is a guy like Chimera and i wouldn't be suprised seeing Weise having the same kind of production as Chimera in a great year.

Weise also scored pretty big goals for the Habs in the playoffs.

Overall, a very good bottom sixer and the contract is really good value. I would have taken him back with the habs at that value.

Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
Agreed. I know cap space was tight but I was surprised the Flyers didn't sign or trade for a top 6 winger. For example, maybe they could have taken that 2.3 million they gave to Weiss and 950K they gave to Gordon and invested it in a top 6 winger. It seems like they put more value on intangibles and two-way play than pure scoring which could be a mistake. That being said, I think both guys will help, especially Weise who seems like a perfect fit with their style of play under Hakstol. They are definitely going to have to win a lot of 3-2 / 2-1 type of games though with their current roster.

Yeah, but that bottom 6 was just brutal. IMO, that was far more pressing issue, now Giroux shouldn't have so much defensive work to do, and focus more on putting up points!

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Eh they won't be in the playoffs.

Hate is a bad thing and the Flyers have just a good chance as a non flying bird. Keep telling yourself they will not be in the playoffs. I hope you really enjoy Dale he is a nice addition one who should give you a itch you just cannot reach:). Instead of bashing Flyer fans lets get back on topic. Have a good evening NITH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad