Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Dale Weise (4 Years, $2.35M AAV)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe the most insane post I seen in a while. Did you watch any games at all ? That 4th line was OFTEN their best line. Sad but true

You're wrong. This isn't a matter of opinion, you are factually incorrect. The 4th line was a liability last year, luckily it's been significantly upgraded for next year.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Don't listen to these bozos flyer fans. You got a heck of a player on a heck of a deal. Sure, he's a 3rd liner in a perfect world, but in a pinch he can play anywhere in your line up. I would love to have him back in Montreal at this deal.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Maybe the most insane post I seen in a while. Did you watch any games at all ? That 4th line was OFTEN their best line. Sad but true

Agree completely, the 4th line at least came to play in the playoffs. Weise was awful for the Hawks.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Agree completely, the 4th line at least came to play in the playoffs. Weise was awful for the Hawks.

And those were the only games they came to play in all season, no thanks. Weise was deadline addition for Hawks. It's pretty usual that players who comes as deadline additions do not always pan out for the teams...

Not sure if 19 games is the sample size I would want to use when evaluating player, lol.

Have a successful NHL career.

He's having pretty successful NHL career in Philly, not sure what you are about, he was also good for NY Rangers for some time.

4 years? The guy is done.

In his last year in Montreal he was bringing nothing. He was seeing himself higher than he was and as such he stopped being physical and hitting like 3/4th liner would do. Long gone is the guy that would make Lucic lose his head.

Ya, 27 years old, 'the guy is done' HFBoards. Because players never have worse and better moments through careers.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Flyers will love him. He's not your typical 4th line grinder, at all. This is where Chicago erred. He's got great speed and plays better with offense oriented linemates. Huge upgrade on White, on all levels. Not bad on the PK either.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
White had 11 goals last year, his best season ever. And Flyers fans are trashing him because???

Dumb penalties and whole 4th line with White was terribly used (as 3rd line basically) and for most of the times pinned in our zone. They came to play in a couple of games against WSH in the play-offs, and a few regular games, that's all. Part of that 4th line was also Chris VandeVelde who should not be regular NHL player.

It's not White's fault that the line was wrongly used but overall he was not good, he scored some goals on 2nd PP (he's actually decent player in front of the net on PP), but outside of that, he was more of liability, caused unnecesary penalties, not overly good possesion stats... so that's why.

Nothing wrong against him, he's still fine 4th line player, likely great lucker room guy, just signed with Arizona, I think he will be good for them. He had his stretches in Philly but it was time to move on from him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He's actually a decent player, no superstar but still a solid bottom 6 guy.

Yep.

Hextall identified a weakness that a lot of us on the Flyers board had been talking about all year...

Our top 6 were being used to shelter the bottom six while also being the guys charged with scoring all our goals!

The 3rd & 4th lines combined last year got arguably the easiest minutes of any playoff team's bottom sixes while the 1st & 2nd lines combined last year got the toughest minutes of any playoff teams top sixes.

Hence what happened when Couturier went down in the playoffs... Giroux was having to match up vs Backstrom while Hakstol was also 'cheating' to get him out vs Kuznetsov as much as possible too... as no-one else could be trusted.

Signing Weise & Gordon goes a long, long way to rectify that.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
White had 11 goals last year, his best season ever. And Flyers fans are trashing him because???

This isn't a new thing. Flyers fans as a whole hated our 4th line last season. I'm one of the few on the Flyers board who defended him. He plays with a swagger and has a fair amount of skill. In the right situation, he's a solid 4th liner that can play up for a bit if need be and can pop in some goals.

All that said, he has some definite negatives. He's really not a good skater and he's mediocre at best defensively. If he's not put with the right guys, he's going to end up pinned in his own zone and will struggle. Last year he played with Bellemare & VandeVelde. Bellemare can skate but that's about it. VandeVelde is a black hole of a player and should be in the AHL.

The Flyers have had an odd team recently in that the bottom 6 are our worst lines defensively. As a result, Giroux & Couturier take pretty much every d-zone draw, which hurts their production. Getting better bottom-six fowards - particularly guys who can be trusted in their own zone - was a glaring need.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
You're wrong. This isn't a matter of opinion, you are factually incorrect. The 4th line was a liability last year, luckily it's been significantly upgraded for next year.

100% right on. This will take some of the pressure off G concerning face offs etc. Dale and Boyd are way better than Whitey who I like. Now we need to move Matt Read who really has slipped but his value is nil and what does he have, 1 year left on his deal? I still cannot believe the length and term of some of these deals done yesterday with players already in the 30's or dam close to it. Steady as she goes Ron nice and steady.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Yep.

Hextall identified a weakness that a lot of us on the Flyers board had been talking about all year... check

Our top 6 were being used to shelter the bottom six while also being the guys charged with scoring all our goals! check

The 3rd & 4th lines combined last year got arguably the easiest minutes of any playoff team's bottom sixes while the 1st & 2nd lines combined last year got the toughest minutes of any playoff teams top sixes. check

Hence what happened when Couturier went down in the playoffs... Giroux was having to match up vs Backstrom while Hakstol was also 'cheating' to get him out vs Kuznetsov as much as possible too... as no-one else could be trusted. Check plus Giroux was injured

Signing Weise & Gordon goes a long, long way to rectify that.[/QUOTE]

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Great signing. Makes me sad because I thought he would sign in Montreal. I lost my 2 favorite players this summer, Subban and Weise.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Looking at the Flyers lineup and reading some talk, apparently they could use a #3C. Why not reunite Desharnais and Weise. They were dynamite in a third line role with Flash before injuries forced them to split up. You guys seem to have the roster and cap space for it.

Voracek- Giroux - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Schenn
Read - Desharnais - Weise
Laughton - Gordon - Cousins
(Bellemare, Vandevalde)

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Looking at the Flyers lineup and reading some talk, apparently they could use a #3C. Why not reunite Desharnais and Weise. They were dynamite in a third line role with Flash before injuries forced them to split up. You guys seem to have the roster and cap space for it.

Voracek- Giroux - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Schenn
Read - Desharnais - Weise
Laughton - Gordon - Cousins
(Bellemare, Vandevalde)

You have valid point, we really could use 3rd line C, but I don't believe that Desharnais is kind of player we need for our bottom 6. I think both, Hextall and Hakstol (coach) have different philosophy of how bottom 6 should be structured and what kind of players should be there. Moreover, his cap hit of 3.5M is not suitable for us. We don't have cap space (not that much), still need to re-sign Schenn, Cousins, Manning (and Weal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad