GDT: PHI @ BUF 7pm TV:MSG Radio:WGR - Back in black

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mean he's literally their best d-man in terms of offensive and defensive expected goals. He is also doing fine with counting stats at ES. He's been terrible on the PP, was terrible tonight and has had some weak plays here and there. Overall though, he's playing very well whether people want to admit it or not. If anything, we should be more concerned about Dahlin's lack of impact or that Samuelsson might not be as good as we thought.

How am I using them incorrectly? If you don't buy the advanced stats that's fine, but to say Power has been terrible and should be in the AHL is an embarrassing take.

Those are not Individual player stats. They are ON ICE player stats.

Individual player stats -> tallies anything that can be directly attributed to a player like goals, points, shots, hits, takeaways, etc.

On Ice player stats -> Measures team performance when that player is on the ice. These stats account for everything that happens when that player is on the ice, whether they had a hand in it or not. Its not a measure of player’s individual performance. Nor can it tell us how much credit or blame that player deserves for number.

You’re trying to argue Power is our best dman based on stats (On Ice) that can’t actually tell us that. Because they’re not a measure of his individual play as a dman.

When a bunch of posters argue Power has been bad defensively. His On ice stats don’t really refute that. A player can struggle defensively while having positive xGF/xGF. Because, again, they’re not a measure of his individual play as a dman.

Reactions: start winnin

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
The Sabres style of play relies on the other team not willing to play defense or play any sort of structured game.
This is the blunt version of my post in my opinion ha

The crazy thing about this team is if they actually attempt to play simple hard working hockey (all the cliches - get pucks to the net/pucks deep etc) the fancy stuff the sabres want to do will open up

It's very frustrating to watch because the talent/speed/skill is all there. The fix for this team is incredibly simple

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Can someone tell me what a young roster has to do with being badly outworked and outhustled on a nightly basis? What does it have to do with being completely and totally unprepared and unprofessional to the degree witnessed last night?

A lot of our younger guys didn't get where they are on hustle. They got where they are on talent or physical gifts. Now they're finding, in particular as a unit, that talent or size alone isn't enough. They need to rewire themselves to make space to do the fancy dekes and passes, since the space isn't just going to be there in the NHL. That takes time and coaching, if it ever happens for some of them, especially when it's the majority of our team that needs it and not just one or two young guys surrounded by better role models.

Mittelstadt is a good example of a player who has at least started to adjust.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Coaching is the problem.

Didn't play defense last year.

Can't play defense this year.

Last year the guys outperformed on offense and now what?

They ran around yesterday and gave the puck away like they were allergic to it.

Granato was fun but its time to get a real coach in here.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Can someone tell me what a young roster has to do with being badly outworked and outhustled on a nightly basis? What does it have to do with being completely and totally unprepared and unprofessional to the degree witnessed last night?
Well for the vets...Skinner plays reckless, Okposo is slow/done, Tuch has been out of character, Girgensons has always been a low event grunt, EJ has been really good, and Clifton has been a near disaster.

The rest are on a learning curve, and some of them seem mentally slow either from not processing what to do on time or not having proper support where it should be. That's where hockey goes from looking fast, intense, and instinctual...to slow, flat, and disjointed. They're getting out-worked because they're not playing instinctual, which means slow, which means looking flat and out-hustled.

All in all this screams coaching to me, both Xs and Os and a lack of fire to have the guys ready to play 100% at puck drop.

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I turned it off after 2 periods. The wife wanted to watch SAW X on the big TV.

If you enjoy the movie series, this chapter was one of the best ones.

I don't care if they lost 20-0 in pink tutus last night. Tonight, they must dominate.

If not, then I'll start wondering and fretting about this team. I'm pragmatic in my fandom, and usually take whatever is on the ice. This is getting silly now.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I stayed out of the GDT.
Right from the start I was cursing Power. Direct involvement in at least 3 GA. Not surprised he was on ice for all 5. I was so incensed by the late 3rd PD my wife asked what the hell had gotten into me.

Abysmal game from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad