Trade: [PHI/BKN] James Harden, Paul Millsap for Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond, '22 and '27 1sts

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
I was wrong about this trade

like Stephan A Smith just said

"Daryl Morey knew something the rest of us didn't know, I can't think of a professional athlete that looks more pathetic than this man"
"This man is flexing on his social media and bragging about taking delivery of a million dollar sports car while filing a grievance for $20 million, for choosing not to show up"
"This man has the audacity to show up in warmups, throw two passes, then he goes back into the locker room to put on his zoolander outfits"

:clap::clap:

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

"Daryl Morey knew something the rest of us didn't know, I can't think of a professional athlete that looks more pathetic than this man"
"This man is flexing on his social media and bragging about taking delivery of a million dollar sports car while filing a grievance for $20 million, for choosing not to show up"
"This man has the audacity to show up in warmups, throw two passes, then he goes back into the locker room to put on his zoolander outfits"

I'd almost feel bad for Durant, if he hadn't made the mistake of surrounding himself with guys that appear more interested in making the headlines than making the finals (I'm assuming he has some personnel influence, given his franchise importance). Kyrie throwing up the bird and chirping with fans, after skipping tons of games for his "morals", then ghosting it for the next two games. And now this guy basically saying he won't play unless the series becomes competitive again. Any chance that this core contends for anything is out the window. Cancerous culture.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I'd almost feel bad for Durant, if he hadn't made the mistake of surrounding himself with guys that appear more interested in making the headlines than making the finals (I'm assuming he has some personnel influence, given his franchise importance). Kyrie throwing up the bird and chirping with fans, after skipping tons of games for his "morals", then ghosting it for the next two games. And now this guy basically saying he won't play unless the series becomes competitive again. Any chance that this core contends for anything is out the window. Cancerous culture.
Kyrie flipping the bird was funny AF, and most fans seems love it

We also have no idea how this team will look with a full camp going into next season, it is certainly not out the window. I think they need to play Drummond more myself

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Kyrie flipping the bird was funny AF, and most fans seems love it

We also have no idea how this team will look with a full camp going into next season, it is certainly not out the window. I think they need to play Drummond more myself

I don't care that he did it. You just shouldn't throw bricks the next two if you're going to go that route.

Also, as a Pistons fan, yes, please play Drummond more, lol. Have fun with that, especially in the 4th.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I don't care that he did it. You just shouldn't throw bricks the next two if you're going to go that route.

Also, as a Pistons fan, yes, please play Drummond more, lol. Have fun with that, especially in the 4th.
sure Drummond can't always play, but he should be specifically playing more in this matchup. Hasn't gone super well with him playing in the teens/low twenties so far

I'm not a Nets fan, I just think that they actually could be decent with Ben and the right system

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
"Work through the physical and mental hurdles needed to get Simmons back on the court." good grief
Just the Age of the Primma Donna. Simmons really has turned into the next Lebron :laugh:

Kinda turned me off the NBA to be honest. Not the only reason(watching guys do little else other than jack up 3s all night isn't great sports IMO either), but man some of the money these guys make to be self absorbed ego driven assholes is just farcical.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

What was not known? lmao

i guess it's easy for me to say, and I didn't think he'd sit out the season from when he was traded, but there's not a single sixers fan shocked by this. when he didn't come back to play after the nets came to philly, the game was up

he should've brought up how simmons' representation put on a campaign to get him voted into the all-star game.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Don't know why its become a hot take, but Simmons probably does have legitimate anxiety issues and broader mental health struggles. All of the fed-up skepticism and bullying just because he's being a burden to others shows us how far we have yet to go in dealing with mental illness.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't know why its become a hot take, but Simmons probably does have legitimate anxiety issues and broader mental health struggles. All of the fed-up skepticism and bullying just because he's being a burden to others shows us how far we have yet to go in dealing with mental illness.
I think people would be more sympathetic if he didn’t try every other thing he possibly could before going there to sit out an entire season while still getting paid.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Simmons has been a farce to people with real mental health issues and has done nothing throughout his career, even going back to LSU, for anyone to give him benefit of the doubt. He picked the two easiest things to hide behind. A back injury and mental health. And his mental health wasn't even a real issue until the Sixers starting not sending his checks.

The guy is both a prima donna and an entitled brat who can't handle criticism.

His mental health was magically better the day he got traded, then he somehow hurt his back on the way to Brooklyn. Then announced before game 3 that he would play game 4, then all of sudden his back was hurting again and then when he got ripped for it wasn't just his back flaring up it was his mental health again too. He was probably upset people made fun of his outfits. He could have stepped on the court for 2 mins and said nope I can't I'm too hurt and not played the rest of the series and he would have gotten at least some respect from teammates, fans and the media.

I remember saying if I was the Sixers I would have seriously considered Ingram over him (even though Simmons was by far the better talent/prospect) just because I saw this act coming from a mile away. Especially after that not so flattering documentary on HBO. Did I think it get this bad/strange? No. But I definitely saw him trying to force his way to LA/NY/Miami to live that celebrity life after a few years. I'm also not so sure how much he actually likes basketball. (I still wish the Sixers sent him to Sacramento or Minnesota, he might have retired) Does he love the game or just the money and fame it brings?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Then he should stop flexing on Instagram on how he buys expensive sports cars, if that's a way to deal with 'mental issues' than what the heck man...he should go seek some therapy

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Ben Simmons is the perfect example of an athlete that loves the money and the lifestyle but not the sport itself. That is why he cannot take any criticism, has no pride in his craft, refuses to get better and is willing to sit out an entire season out of spite. He should be allowed to just cruise around the league on talent alone and get paid handsomely for it so that he can show off to stroke his ego.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
its nuts to me that folks are begging Ben Simmons to play and he won't and John Wall is being paid not to play. Different situations obviously, but just crazy.

Sep 19, 2008
Too many examples of prima donna superstars not playing in the NBA. Get out there and play.

Simmons, Zion etc. At least Wall agreed with his team not to play but that's slightly less dumb. In the 80's an d90's if you could go you played

Now you hold out and Simmons hasn't played in like 20 months and Zion is all angry about being in New Orleans and doesn't want to play for them, just, such an egotistical league

Sep 19, 2008
Why?

Simmons is 25y, where as Harden seems to be hitting decline.
Nets not ending up to give him his next contract is huge
Harden is scoring for his team. Not much, but scoring.

Simmons has not played in 20 months.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
11 months, not 20.

The argument for the Nets being a 'loser' of this trade is you have Kevin Durant, who is about to turn 34 with a shaky medical history. He was healthy this spring and you threw a chance at a title away while waiting for Simmons to comeback. No one knows if KD will be healthy in the spring of 2023 or still an elite level player in the spring of 2024. Toss in the completely unpredictable Kyrie, who was also available this spring, and who knows what will transpire going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad