Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
samuel morin. 12 shifts in the first. I have him down with 3 mistakes including getting beat on the outside by mccarron for a prime shot.

2nd period 6 shifts. 18:45 Bad pass , had a teammate wide open
16:16 mishandled pass leads to team getting pinned in their own zone for a prime scoring opportunity
13:12 turnover led to the best shot of the game
1:49- 1:30- A series of mistakes which begin by him bailing on a pinch and failing to get it deep because he was going to get hit. Loses track of smith for a point blank shot. Fails to defend smith who makes a pass to mccarrron for a point blank shot.

Go ahead, watch . I am not pulling this out of the air. I want morin to succeed just as much as the next person, but i am not going to let that cloud what i see.

And yet your great Kostalek bailed on a pinch that led to a goal the other way.....and you say he played great. And many people said Bouque played awful and he directly cause 2 goals. Yet you say he played good.

Just ask yourself...are you the only one being honest....and the rest of us are biased...or are you looking for things and making them into massive mistakes all while ignoring everything good he does?

If Morin allowed a guy to shoot at the goalie, then push him back, get the rebound and score, you would freak. If Morin lost his man off a faceoff and let him in all alone with the goalie to score, you would freak again. Yet you said Bourque played well.

I 100% stand by what I said last night:
"If Morin plays like this in the NHL, I can really see some hate toward him...just like Coburn. Lots of non flashy, good breakouts, but will be remembered for the few mistakes, regardless if they turn into goals."

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Strengths.
(1) Wing span is off the charts. if you haven't caught him off balance its almost impossible to get around him (like Pronger,Hedman,Chara)
(2) Board work is exceptional (wins a ton of board battles)
(3) Outlet passes are NHL calibre (always looking for a great break out pass)
(4) Hard blistering shot
(5) Tough as nails. extremely physical when he needs or wants to be. He is and will be an intimidating presence
(6) Good speed for his size (Not as good as Coburn but maybe like Hedman)
(7) Uses his size to shield the puck as he's carrying it out of the zone (like Coburn)

Let's simmer down a bit here. Regarding the second bolded point, Hedman is a better skater than Coburn, despite being an inch taller and 10 pounds larger. He's one of the best skaters in the league.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Let's simmer down a bit here. Regarding the second bolded point, Hedman is a better skater than Coburn, despite being an inch taller and 10 pounds larger. He's one of the best skaters in the league.

Yeah if Morin becomes a Hedman I will die of happiness.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No he's not. Coburn is probably the best big skating dman in the league.

Hedman is a better skater than Coburn. Coburn has a nice stride but average acceleration and agility. Hedman can actually, ya know, stick-handle too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not to keep this going, but Keith is a better skater than both.

Hopefully Morin, being as young as he is, fills out the rest of his game (all around) and carries that forward.

Keith isn't really a "big man" though to be fair.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Your expectations of a defencemen are so wrong. If he allows a player to go to the outside and take a shot from a bad angle that is actually a good play! Why not comment about the 30 great breakout passes why not talk about the board battles where he used his body to seperate the puck and then clear the zone like a man against boys! He was not on for one goal against thats the stat that matters the most.

He has few weaknesses that I can see (1) He makes such great outlet passes that sometimes he either holds on to the puck too long or he makes a pass that a pro player can or should take but a guy in junior may struggle with (similar to Luke Schenn but not as bad) (2) Because of his size he can lose track of the puck in the crease (if its in his feet etc) (3) small speedy players with low centers of gravity that take him to the outside can be difficult for him to gain position on (didn't happen last night) (4) Doesn't have confidence carrying the puck once he gains the zone (just like Coburn he can wheel the puck out but once he's in the zone he usually dumps it in the corner) (5) Going back to the passes like Luke he sometimes tries to lift his head up and look for a breakout pass in dangerous situations instead of just rifling the puck out. This causes the turnovers as players tie up his stick and he gets flustered

Strengths.
(1) Wing span is off the charts. if you haven't caught him off balance its almost impossible to get around him (like Pronger,Hedman,Chara)
(2) Board work is exceptional (wins a ton of board battles)
(3) Outlet passes are NHL calibre (always looking for a great break out pass)
(4) Hard blistering shot
(5) Tough as nails. extremely physical when he needs or wants to be. He is and will be an intimidating presence
(6) Good speed for his size (Not as good as Coburn but maybe like Hedman)
(7) Uses his size to shield the puck as he's carrying it out of the zone (like Coburn)

Still Learning not to be overly physical so he's not always in the box (this has probably hurt his game in junior but will be a plus in the pro's going up against NHL size players he won't have to worry about penalties for picking on small players)

Just a quick assessment on the 15-20 games i've seen him play over the past two years

Morin has to be better at the 1- 10 ft passes. after we selected him i noticed he was amazing at this which led me to believe that there was a bright future for him. Those short passes are key to efficiently breaking out of the dzone. This is an area he has struggled with recently.

Morin used to be much more aggressive at the blue line and denied entry into the zone, now he collapses back way too much for someone of his stature. This is troubling

But what may be the most troubling is this, on any given night, on any given period on any given shift he can be dominate or he can be the guy who commits an unforced error which leads to a goal. IN today's nhl teams score off of other teams mistakes and right now morin makes way to many mistakes . 2 years post draft he should be dominate in the q. And he simply isn't that right now. This is not a good sign.

He is shaping up to be one of those guys that has all the tools and no toolbox.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's way to early to worry about any of that. He's a young defensemen who we knew was extremely raw when we drafted him, he has a **** ton of time to work out any problems he has right now.

I'm not worried in the slightest. He has everything you look for in a defensemen other than consistency, which is to be expected.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I came away from yesterday thinking Morin had a really mediocre game, just like most of his teammates. He seems to really have struggled with consistency in these playoffs. He even seemed hesitant about positioning.

The guy who stood out for me for the Oceanic was Clapperton. I liked him during his time on the Armada and he's a good spark plug.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Murray becomes a Flyers assistant coach like I expect, it's crucial they get a good developmental coach for Morin's sake and the rest of the young dmen.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Morin has to be better at the 1- 10 ft passes. after we selected him i noticed he was amazing at this which led me to believe that there was a bright future for him. Those short passes are key to efficiently breaking out of the dzone. This is an area he has struggled with recently.

Morin used to be much more aggressive at the blue line and denied entry into the zone, now he collapses back way too much for someone of his stature. This is troubling

But what may be the most troubling is this, on any given night, on any given period on any given shift he can be dominate or he can be the guy who commits an unforced error which leads to a goal. IN today's nhl teams score off of other teams mistakes and right now morin makes way to many mistakes . 2 years post draft he should be dominate in the q. And he simply isn't that right now. This is not a good sign.

It's amazing that a young player has consistency issues. That's never happened ever before. Might as well trade him now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Ever think he might not be playing at full strength? I know there is always going to be a recency bias with players, especially prospects with limited viewings, but if Rimouski gets bounced in the 1st round are we even having this conversation?

I'm not here to make excuses for the kid, but I've seen him a lot this year. I know what he is capable of doing on the ice. Is he a finished product? No. Is he dominant night in and night out? No. Does he have things to work on? Absolutely. But this Sam Morin is not the same Sam Morin I saw play all year. He's fine moving forward, but he hasn't been moving as well laterally or pivoting as quickly in transition. For a guy who's calling card is his size and mobility, if he's not 100% you are going to notice. He didn't just forget how to play hockey.

I'll be the 1st to admit Kostalek has been better this postseason. But during the regular season, I never gave it one thought.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Ever think he might not be playing at full strength? I know there is always going to be a recency bias with players, especially prospects with limited viewings, but if Rimouski gets bounced in the 1st round are we even having this conversation?

I'm not here to make excuses for the kid, but I've seen him a lot this year. I know what he is capable of doing on the ice. Is he a finished product? No. Is he dominant night in and night out? No. Does he have things to work on? Absolutely. But this Sam Morin is not the same Sam Morin I saw play all year. He's fine moving forward, but he hasn't been moving as well laterally or pivoting as quickly in transition. For a guy who's calling card is his size and mobility, if he's not 100% you are going to notice. He didn't just forget how to play hockey.

I'll be the 1st to admit Kostalek has been better this postseason. But during the regular season, I never gave it one thought.

Being injured i hope can explain it. I know you have seem him a lot and that is why i think you should be just as surprised/disappointed as i am in the current mistakes and unforced errors he is making.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Being injured i hope can explain it. I know you have seem him a lot and that is why i think you should be just as surprised/disappointed as i am in the current mistakes and unforced errors he is making.
It's disappointing no doubt, but I just go back to when I know he was 100% and the impact he made in NHL training camp and then the Q. I know what he can do when he is playing at his best. Unfortunately he gets dinged up a good bit. I think he's going to thrive in the pro game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad