Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
not looking good for O'Brien atm

The purpose of this season for JOB is to play on a regular basis and sharpen his skills.
I'm sure at some point he'll get hot again, but his stats are less important than staying healthy, and getting experience.
Next season in college will be more important, that's when you expect him to take another step up.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The purpose of this season for JOB is to play on a regular basis and sharpen his skills.
I'm sure at some point he'll get hot again, but his stats are less important than staying healthy, and getting experience.
Next season in college will be more important, that's when you expect him to take another step up.

He's not going to sharpen any skills playing in that league.

I think he's trying to enjoy hockey again and regain some confidence.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Skating, shooting, the basics that atrophy when you haven't been playing on a regular basis.
Defensive instincts, not so much.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Prospect article today by Isaac. Quotes from Brent Flahr.
Flyers prospect watch: the next wave of professionals

Tanner Laczynski...
Flahr’s take: “He had some other commitments (at development camp) but for this season he’s a character kid, a big leader. He plays every situation there. I’ll see him in a couple weeks here.
“I think he just gets sick of answering the question (of turning pro), to be honest with you. Any guy that goes back for his senior year is kind of reprimanded and fed to the bull so I dunno…he probably just doesn’t like to talk about it.”

Egor Zamula...
Flahr’s take: “He’s always been good with the puck, even in his draft year. He didn’t get drafted because of his frame. He’s gotten stronger. He’s put weight on. You saw it in training camp when he was with the big guys. He can think the game. He’s mobile. Tremendous poise for a young player under pressure with the puck, the transition game. He’s got some offense. Chuck just saw him play the other day (on the Flyers’ road trip). He’s playing with tremendous confidence. Obviously a great find by our guys and a guy who really wants to be an NHL player. It’s exciting.”

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It will be interesting to see the role he's given for the WJC-20, it'll give a sense how he's perceived by 3rd parties.

Zamula?

Romanov the #1 most likely. Zhuravlyov (one of my favourite mid-rounders for 2018) will likely be the #2.

He is probably the #3 and the 2nd Dman on PP1 with Romanov.

Galenyuk, Pylenkov and Okhotyuk make the roster.

Misyul, Malyshev, Zhilyakov fight for last spots.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It will be interesting to see the role he's given for the WJC-20, it'll give a sense how he's perceived by 3rd parties.

Because if we’ve learned anything from these World Juniors, it’s to give a hoot about how biased international committees view prospects. Never wrong.

Playing in North America will always be a hurdle for any Russian WJC player. Especially one without draft hype.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Prospect article today by Isaac. Quotes from Brent Flahr.
Flyers prospect watch: the next wave of professionals

Egor Zamula...
Flahr’s take: “He’s always been good with the puck, even in his draft year. He didn’t get drafted because of his frame. He’s gotten stronger. He’s put weight on. You saw it in training camp when he was with the big guys. He can think the game. He’s mobile. Tremendous poise for a young player under pressure with the puck, the transition game. He’s got some offense. Chuck just saw him play the other day (on the Flyers’ road trip). He’s playing with tremendous confidence. Obviously a great find by our guys and a guy who really wants to be an NHL player. It’s exciting.”

Should I be concerned that he saw Zamula's frame as a negative as a draft eligible player? Unless you thought he had a chronic issue that was going to hinder his ability to develop physically, I'm not sure how you didn't view that as a positive. He could just be downplaying his unlikely rise to prominence and/or defending his peers. Zamula was released by Regina so it's not like he was destined for this. They were going for a Mem Cup, but if they had any inclination he'd turn out the way he has, there is no way they cut him loose. Just seemed like an odd comment. You acknowledge he always had this skill. 6'4 defensemen with skill aren't exactly common.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
6'3 170 is pretty slight for a defenseman, especially one with average speed.

We saw with Sanheim that a tall, slight defenseman can be pushed around, that's why he even admitted after last season he needed to get stronger, and he was already up to 200 lbs or so.

Zamula didn't stand out in his first CHL season: 69g 2-16 18 0, while he was OK in the WJC-18 series, he also didn't flash enough.
Like Myers, someone should have used a 7th rd pick and gamble on him (the way the Flyers did with Fedotov as a 6'8 goalie).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad