Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Didn’t you say you used to scout?

I also find it funny you think St Ivany is the worst of the bunch.
He is very close to Willie probably the same but i just find him very raw and do not see the projections . Just my opinion

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He is very close to Willie probably the same but i just find him very raw and do not see the projections . Just my opinion
You're basing this off of one game. Having watched him a bunch, this wasn't his best game. He wasn't really involved in the play like he usually is. One of those games. The team as a whole wasn't very good either. He didn't play as much as he usually does so something may have been up. Even so, he made several advanced outlets to kick off transition. That's going to be his calling card at the next level. He's an excellent passer (something the guy you think is the best, does not excel at). Passes to exit the zone and passes for entries. He also shows promise as a NZ defender and he's 6'4 with a massive reach to disrupt in the DZ. Those things drive play. He's not without flaws. I'm not in love with his skating. It's fine, but he doesn't have the fluidity or second gear at this point in time to excel in rush situations, which limits his offensive potential. It's why despite the much better production, I don't consider him to be a better prospect than Myers at the same age. Myers has/had rare athleticism for a man of his size. Zamula absolutely goes in the top 60 picks in a re-draft. 6'4 defenseman with even any ounce of skill and production, are valuable gambles. I have no problem with someone putting him in their top 10 prospects.

I watched St. Ivany again last night and he's going to be a good pro. He has many of the same strengths and weaknesses as Zamula with a little less physical projection. St. Ivany likes to carry the puck a little more, but he also has excellent vision and pretty strong hands for a big kid. They are both a little unique in that they skate better in short areas than they do in open ice. Usually taller players excel more in the open ice.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
When i even compare him to out 2018 picks i would put him behind Ginning and Ersson , even with Willie but ahead of St Ivany . To me and it may be a bit premature but i find him more complementary but not a play driver . This being said he has good tools and is projecting upwards but guys ranking him real high are just thinking of what Myers has done .

You can be a complimentary player and still a play driver. They are not mutually exclusive. Zamula does many things across the ice that directly correlates to play driving. I bet if we had stats for Calgary, he'd excel there.

I'm not sure where that criticism factors in regarding Ginning though. He's the total opposite of a play driver.

I don't know of anyone comparing him to Myers, who has rare physical tools and aggression and late blooming skill. Zamula is rail thin, will never be as good with his body, has a ways to go with his skating, but he's also a better passer to me. A bit smarter. But he has a lot of projectable development with his baseline skills. I think it also does a disservice to question the motivations of people who watch him more and regularly rank players they like aggressively. I don't have him #4 like some.....but top 10? It's hard to keep him out, as I see it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I only watched a few minutes of the game, and my thought was "man Zamula is a gangly kid". He is all arms and legs right now.

The good thing is, we can just let him develop fir 4 years and see what he becomes at that point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We have a lot of mobile defensemen (and a couple big guys to pair with them), let 'em fight it out.
You only need one or two to emerge the next 3-4 years, and if you get two starters past the 3rd round every five years, you're way ahead of the game.
[normal expectation are 4 picks a year, 7-8% chance of playing 400 games, or expected value of 3 per decade]
Flyers already have Lindblom and soon will have Myers.
So give me one of Kalynuk, Wylie, Zamula, St Ivany, Laczynski, Ersson, Fedotov, etc. and we're doing fine.

Reactions: BernieParent

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Just watched Oilkings play Hitmen on sportsnet CHL game of the week to took a look at Zamula , had not seen him since October in Brandon . . He was fairly smooth on his skates and had a good active stick and made some good outlet passes . This all being said he is a very good pickup of a prospect especially cause it was for free but there is no way in he double toothpicks does he belong in the top ten of our prospects lists . Guys on here saying he should have been late first early second are smoking crap . When i even compare him to out 2018 picks i would put him behind Ginning and Ersson , even with Willie but ahead of St Ivany . To me and it may be a bit premature but i find him more complementary but not a play driver . This being said he has good tools and is projecting upwards but guys ranking him real high are just thinking of what Myers has done .

Apparently, I'm smoking crap.

You take Ginning for the next 15 years and I'll take Zamula. Good luck.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

68T09kP.jpg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
yeah this is only like the 10th time this has happened to a Flyers prospect who should have been in the NHL in the past 6 years.

It's ****ing ridiculous. We all know that a player can get hurt anywhere, but what if he had been playing the 10 games before he got injured in the NHL instead of the AHL, as he should have? Every little chunk of experience helps, not just for the player's development, but for our ability to assess who should stay and who can go. I'm trying not to lose too much sleep until the trade deadline passes, in case Fletch really is just trying to keep the vets' values up to maximize trade value, but it's difficult.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It's ****ing ridiculous. We all know that a player can get hurt anywhere, but what if he had been playing the 10 games before he got injured in the NHL instead of the AHL, as he should have? Every little chunk of experience helps, not just for the player's development, but for our ability to assess who should stay and who can go. I'm trying not to lose too much sleep until the trade deadline passes, in case Fletch really is just trying to keep the vets' values up to maximize trade value, but it's difficult.
Well it's not only that but I would guess that more injuries happen in the AHL. Does anyone track that?

There are way more goons in the AHL at this point than the NHL, and guys with marginal skills who know they have to play physical or even dirty to get noticed. Obviously they're going to target the more talented players.

Plus a myriad of incremental things that probably make a difference when you add them all together:
1. The ice surfaces are probably worse.
2. The trainers and medical staff are possibly worse.
3. The officials are definitely worse and don't keep a lid on the extracurricular stuff.
4. More inflammatory food.
etc.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well it's not only that but I would guess that more injuries happen in the AHL. Does anyone track that?

There are way more goons in the AHL at this point than the NHL, and guys with marginal skills who know they have to play physical or even dirty to get noticed. Obviously they're going to target the more talented players.

Plus a myriad of incremental things that probably make a difference when you add them all together:
1. The ice surfaces are probably worse.
2. The trainers and medical staff are possibly worse.
3. The officials are definitely worse and don't keep a lid on the extracurricular stuff.
4. More inflammatory food.
etc.

Meh. Players are faster and bigger in the NHL so the hits are harder and play is more intense.
My suspicion is the odds of injury are the same.
Crap happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad