Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fortunately for him - the likelihood of him being coached by Hak is minimal.

Hextall will still be GM though, so Wyatt will have to be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY SHAPE AND FORM before he's an NHL regular. I'm sure he will be stuck behind whatever cap dump we acquire over the next few years. How many years does Marc Staal have left?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Hextall will still be GM though, so Wyatt will have to be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY SHAPE AND FORM before he's an NHL regular. I'm sure he will be stuck behind whatever cap dump we acquire over the next few years. How many years does Marc Staal have left?

I'm not too worried about Hexy taking on a can't-hack-it vet as a cap dump this season. To me, the signing of JvR indicates that Hexy believes it's time for the team to step forward.

The majority of issue I have in prospect development is on Hak and his reluctance to give younger players ice time. NAK should be playing more; Sanheim should not have been benched as long as he was, and he should be up in the 17 -20min this year; Vorobyev should have been given a longer leash this season, Myers should be given the Sanheim minutes this season...problem is all of that (sans Myers) is on Hak's shoulders. Hexy has made it perfectly clear, he's not going to interfere with the coach at all.

Having said that, the overall philosophy on overcooking prospects in this organization is, imo, preventing them from advancing as quick as they could be. That philosophy starts with Hextall and has to shoulder some responsibility there.

Last edited:

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
It's not as if we take on cap dumps for fun.

We got Lehtera in a trade that was still easily worth it. If things go as expected, when Frost and Farabee are on the team nobody will give a **** that we had to tolerate Lehtera for a little while.
I love taking on cap dumps to improve returns. There is no reason for a team like the Flyers to be so far below that cap. I do have a problem with acting like the players aren't cap dumps by playing them all the time.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
One thing I do worry about the Flyers overall pro scouting, although there should be no reason to sign any depth forwards or dmen.
If/when they are forced to make some sort of trade it could be another issue. Also who they decide to protect in the expansion draft. Hextall made good calls last time, but this time will be more difficult.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I love taking on cap dumps to improve returns. There is no reason for a team like the Flyers to be so far below that cap. I do have a problem with acting like the players aren't cap dumps by playing them all the time.
Yup, it's a great thing to do if you have the cap space for it.

The only issue is when the coach overuses that player, but all you need to do is get a real coach and problem solved.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
If/when they are forced to make some sort of trade it could be another issue. Also who they decide to protect in the expansion draft. Hextall made good calls last time, but this time will be more difficult.

Last time wasn't difficult at all. Protect you're future. That's the problem. What does Hexy think the future is?

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Filppula gone, Umberger gone, Lehtera benched, exactly what are you people whining about?
AMac was a legacy contract.

The majority of issue I have in prospect development is on Hak and his reluctance to give younger players ice time.

Having said that, the overall philosophy on overcooking prospects in this organization is, imo, preventing them from advancing as quick as they could be. That philosophy starts with Hextall and has to shoulder some responsibility there.

That presumes that rushing them would accelerate, not Pejorative Slur, their development - look around the NHL, lots of prospects sent back to the AHL because they were rushed and weren't ready. So I'm not sold on the idea that forcefeeding kids works.

Depends on the player, Provorov, Patrick had no problem playing at 19 but they're uber talents.
Ghost could have used a full AHL season when he got injured.
TK struggled for a while, finally putting it together his 3rd season (last year was partially a shooting % artifact, he's a better player this year).

It's a judgement call, but I see no evidence that Flyer prospects are failing at higher rates or taking longer to become PRODUCTIVE NHL players than on other teams. You can cherry pick players, but those are self-selected to be the ones that mature faster since you're picking prospects who were quickly productive ex post.

A more objective measure is to look at a team's pool of draft picks over an extended period, and see how the 1st rd picks, the late first/2nd rd and the picks after #50 develop.
Top 20 tend to be quick risers, 21-50 take a year longer, 50+ rarely arrive before 4-5 years.
There are exceptions, but the general rule applies.
Lindblom was a fast riser for a later round pick, for example.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Do people still think Ruby would be a better wing in the NHL then a center or is he showing he can be a middle six center now? I have always liked that pick and his potential for two-way play and love that he picked up his game in the AHL.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
we also have Adam Ginning who has as many points as Jonatan Berggren

10 minutes/game in the SHL; one of youngest in draft; bet he would be ripping apart a lower league. At least we didn't get Wahlstrom. They both have more points than him in college! And you and I have as many points as Jay O'Brien.

Or........we can wait beyond November to judge a draft.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
lol..."Lehtera benched".

It's been 2 games. Should we ignore he played 18 of 20 this year?

Should we ignore that JVR, Raffl and Knight were injured, and Vorobyev totally sucked?
Hextall gave Vorobyev a chance to win a job, he failed miserably. It happens.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do people still think Ruby would be a better wing in the NHL then a center or is he showing he can be a middle six center now? I have always liked that pick and his potential for two-way play and love that he picked up his game in the AHL.

Supposedly he was mostly at RW last year and is more comfortable at center. At least he's playing like it.

For all the NAK slobbers, I'd point out that Kase in his first AHL season looks far smoother than NAK last year in his 2nd AHL season.
I just don't see the offensive skills in NAK, makes me think of a young Raffl, who didn't make it until he was 25.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Should we ignore that JVR, Raffl and Knight were injured, and Vorobyev totally sucked?
Hextall gave Vorobyev a chance to win a job, he failed miserably. It happens.
JVR, Raffl....wingers.

THEN you just a week ago said that for Pimp, it was 3rdC or AHL. Lehtera was NEVER in competition with Pimp. YOU SAID THAT...when it was convenient for you to say that. Others think that Pimp could be the #4C now as he would upgrade over Lehtera IN THAT ROLE. And because that's likely where he settles in anyways next year if Frost has any type of good training camp at all.

But that does not fit what Hak does.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Much as I hate Lehtera, I'd rather have Vorobyev getting big minutes on the Phantoms than have him getting 10 minutes on the Flyers with some healthy scratches thrown in. It's only his 2nd pro season in North American hockey.

Reactions: deadhead

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
any opinions on Kalnyuk? seems to come out of nowhere ...

Solid puck-mover, lookes to push the play consistently, shoots a TON, aggressive against rushers trying to gain entry into the zone, defensive instincts are becoming more fine-tuned during his time at Wisconsin. Effortless skater, good speed in all directions, good edge work, pivots, etc. I'm a big fan. For an overage draft pick, he seems to be tremendous value for a 7th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad