Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Linus Högberg could hold his own in an NHL 3rd pairing role right now going off the evidence from the start of the SHL season.

Such a high defensive IQ and plays such a mature game. Never seems to be in a bad spot, puck always going the right way when he is on ice.

Has had a fantastic 1st period so far in todays game. Last three shift his team have got ~9 shots off with none against.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Linus Högberg could hold his own in an NHL 3rd pairing role right now going off the evidence from the start of the SHL season.

Such a high defensive IQ and plays such a mature game. Never seems to be in a bad spot, puck always going the right way when he is on ice.

Has had a fantastic 1st period so far in todays game. Last three shift his team have got ~9 shots off with none against.
But wouldn't you say Lindblom could have held his own in the NHL too after his great SHL season?

And I am not being a dick. I am trying to see where the disconnect is. Like why wasn't Lindblom able to come in and produce at the NHL level right away, in your opinion.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lindblom doesn’t have impact skills. He’s a smart player that can play off of other good players like Patrick and Voracek. I’m not trying to diminish his ability. He’s a solid player but I was always a little skeptical that he would step in to the NHL and not miss a beat.

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
Not worried about Hart, he'll come around. Lets see how is doing in say Feb

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
But wouldn't you say Lindblom could have held his own in the NHL too after his great SHL season?

And I am not being a dick. I am trying to see where the disconnect is. Like why wasn't Lindblom able to come in and produce at the NHL level right away, in your opinion.

He could have 100% from the start of the season I think last year in a bottom six role. Was good in pre-season, then AHL All-Star, then great to finish the NHL season without much puck-luck.

Now I am not saying I want Högberg in the NHL next season, I think he should go to the AHL first and get more offensive opportunities and get used to smaller ice... but he is already better than quite a few Dmen playing around the NHL right now.

Reactions: Tripod

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lindblom doesn’t have impact skills. He’s a smart player that can play off of other good players like Patrick and Voracek. I’m not trying to diminish his ability. He’s a solid player but I was always a little skeptical that he would step in to the NHL and not miss a beat.

Yep, that is fair for sure.

Like I said even during his crazy SHL season, I thought his realistic ceiling was a ~50 point complimentary winger.

And I mean, he did step in last year and by the stats be arguably the Flyers 2nd best defensive winger after Raffl, and had fantastic CF and ExGF with very little puck luck.

Career so far:

30 gp
53.67% Corsi
+5.61 CF Rel
56.57% ExGF
+11.54 ExGF Rel

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Us adding a good goalie for 2-3 years won't impact Hart in any way at all. He has everything to be an elite goalie someday, but it won't be within those years.

The problem is finding a good goalie for 2-3 years, good goalies who are UFAs want a lot longer term, good goalies with 2-3 years left on their contract rarely become available in trades.

Now average goalies, sure, you can find them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Now I am not saying I want Högberg in the NHL next season, I think he should go to the AHL first and get more offensive opportunities and get used to smaller ice... but he is already better than quite a few Dmen playing around the NHL right now.

Question I'd have with Hogberg, as primarily a defensive defenseman (how does he compare to a young Kimmo, who really wasn't an offensive force until many years in the NHL?), is whether he's physically ready for the NHL. I'm sure he's a lot bigger than the 6'1 176 he's listed at, but I could see where a year in the AHL would buy him time to get stronger. Is he eligible to come over next year?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Question I'd have with Hogberg, as primarily a defensive defenseman (how does he compare to a young Kimmo, who really wasn't an offensive force until many years in the NHL?), is whether he's physically ready for the NHL. I'm sure he's a lot bigger than the 6'1 176 he's listed at, but I could see where a year in the AHL would buy him time to get stronger. Is he eligible to come over next year?

He is eligible to come over and if the Flyers want him too he 100% will.

He is probably just about 6'2 now and I would guess ~185lbs.

I mean, a year to get a bit bigger would not hurt, but his positional game is so good that it is rare he puts himself in a position to lose a physical battle.

And in comparison to Kimmo? He does not have the offensive chops Kimmo had at the same age. And Kimmo was over 0.5 PPG in his 2nd NHL season. He was a very good offensive Dman in Liiga at age 21. And probably should have been playing in the NHL at age ~21-22, but because he was small and it was the 90's was ignored.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Is Ivy Hockey major league?

Just wondering, Football is Div 1-AA I think, basketball is competitive (as a Penn alumni I've seen it first hand) but only Penn and Princeton have a top 20 history, but hockey is a "small northern school" sport.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He is eligible to come over and if the Flyers want him too he 100% will.

He is probably just about 6'2 now and I would guess ~185lbs.

I mean, a year to get a bit bigger would not hurt, but his positional game is so good that it is rare he puts himself in a position to lose a physical battle.

And in comparison to Kimmo? He does not have the offensive chops Kimmo had at the same age. And Kimmo was over 0.5 PPG in his 2nd NHL season. He was a very good offensive Dman in Liiga at age 21. And probably should have been playing in the NHL at age ~21-22, but because he was small and it was the 90's was ignored.

I was thinking more in terms of smarts and positioning.
Physically and skill wise I see Friedman as the closest to Kimmo we've had since he's gone.
Kimmo was short but had that stout frame that allows short guys to get leverage and play physical.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Ivy League is in the ECAC for hockey which is division one. Penn & Columbia don’t have varsity hockey teams. Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, & Yale do.

The rest of the league has already started up but the Ivy League schools haven’t which I’d imagine probably has something to do with their academic schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Exhibition against Princeton. Ivy League doesn’t start regular seasons games later than everybody else.

Here's a photo of the St. Ivanys celebrating the goal with a few close friends:

06-jackie-jfk-wedding.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who knows?
Goalies are weird, half emerge between 22-23, half between 26-29. Go figure.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

If he was a little bit faster or had a more dangerous shot it would put up him up another level, but for a 5th round pick, he's still a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad