Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NycFlyer2

Sep 29, 2017
Tbf to Brandon the fact he ever even made the NHL is good going. Not that talented and at lower levels known as much for fighting as playing hockey.

I mean, I don't like his game, and think he is a ~#7 NHL defenseman. But the talent he has has almost certainly been made the most - or close to the most - of.
Knell has done an excellent job with the young D. Not everyone develops at the same rate. I certainly remember how down the organization was on Hagg and Laughton. Sometimes they just need to mature emotionally.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tbf to Brandon the fact he ever even made the NHL is good going. Not that talented and at lower levels known as much for fighting as playing hockey.

I mean, I don't like his game, and think he is a ~#7 NHL defenseman. But the talent he has has almost certainly been made the most - or close to the most - of.

Sorry, I was being a little tongue in check.

Manning got sorta stuck between AHL roles, where he was actually a solid offensive defenseman, and his talent limitations at the NHL level, where he often gets caught doing too much without the recovery speed to cover his mistakes.

I think he could be a solid #6 D-man if he played more conservatively and cut down on the bad pinches and getting caught deep in the O-zone. I think he was a victim of a thin organization, where he was asked to do too much at the AHL level - and this may be why they let Brennan play the offensive role, and have the young defensemen focus on defense so they develop better fundamentals - does it matter if Brennan knows how to play responsible defense? Whereas if Myers dominates offensively but doesn't improve his defensive positioning he's not going to be NHL ready.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Remember, Scott Gordon isn't good at winning hockey games. But what he is good at is development.

I still laugh at how poorly he managed the roster down the stretch & into the playoffs last year. Other teams are always putting in their legit prospects who join late in the season in hopes of getting a boost. As unsurprisingly guys with NHL skill sets are typically good in the AHL. This bozo leaves them on in press box in favor for ECHL caliber players. Friedman never played a game until they clinched a playoff spot & he actually played well in the one game he got. But it still wasn’t enough for that idiot to realize it.

The guy is just an idiot. As said a page back not only does he get a deep prospect pool but he’s getting these top guys for full seasons. You’re not getting that benefit really anywhere else in the league & the guy still does less with it.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think he could be a solid #6 D-man if he played more conservatively and cut down on the bad pinches and getting caught deep in the O-zone.

But that's who he is, head - those are his limitations. "If he only had better decision-making" is the beginning of a fantasy sequence that continues with "and if he only could skate like the wind" and "if he only had a howitzer for a shot" and concludes with "he would be the second coming of Bobby Orr." Manning is hardly a test case for anyone's evaluation of coaching. As Flyguy said, let's see him take someone with a relatively middling set of skills like NAK or Faz and turn them into something and we can pat him on the back. Until then, I think we should continue shitting on him. And not for nothing, but the answer to everything doesn't have to be some variation of "it's fine/they're not so bad/meh/I'm not worried."

Reactions: CodyTheHuman

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ratcliffe had a breakaway and tried the Datsyuk backhand toe drag...sailed it over the net.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But that's who he is, head - those are his limitations. "If he only had better decision-making" is the beginning of a fantasy sequence that continues with "and if he only could skate like the wind" and "if he only had a howitzer for a shot" and concludes with "he would be the second coming of Bobby Orr."

You can coach better decision making, well, with some players, it never stuck with MDZ.
You can't coach basic talent.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You can coach better decision making, well, with some players, it never stuck with MDZ.
You can't coach basic talent.

To a point you can, sure - but everyone has their limitations. I'd be massively shocked if Manbearpig hadn't reached and even slightly exceeded his limitations.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
You guys, the Phantoms are on channel 69 WFMZ right now. How did this get past us? I had no clue.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You guys, the Phantoms are on channel 69 WFMZ right now. How did this get past us? I had no clue.
They don't do a great job promoting it. I didn't know until I was going through looking for another college football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad