Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [The Fall 2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Can't trust those long haired hippie types!
You sound far too optimistic, that'll get you trashed around here. :naughty:
@Appleyard - some thoughts on your broadcast

Ginning - I was surprised watching him in a couple games in LHV, the Hagg comparison is apt, he's actually a smooth skater and made crisp outlet passes from the D-zone, didn't see any glaring errors, maybe the NA game suits him better. He's only 22, with 250 SHL games under his belt, so I'll keep an eye on him, mobile, big stay at home types still have a place in the NHL.

Tuomaala - his breakout in Mestis is encouraging, if he was D+2 in the CHL and started playing like this we'd be excited. He had a wasted season last year (mostly his fault, he didn't want to start at a lower level and work his way up), so it's good to see progress. Is he hockey dumb or it it like TK, who plays out of control at times but makes mistakes of aggression (i.e. bad judgment, not ignorance)?

Ersson - is he starter quality? He looked better than Sandstrom before he was sent down, but is having a "middle of the pack" season for LHV. But getting lots of good experience. I don't trust Sandstrom in a bigger role and expect him to get traded for a pick to make room for Errson and potentially Fedotov at some point next season (once he serves his year in the Navy Gulag). Where would you put Ersson v Fedotov v Kosolov?

Andrae - is he smart enough to "anchor" one of our RHDs, all of whom seem to need a reliable LHD who can CYA. I think Attard can play top 4 if his LHD can cover for his rover tendencies (they're trying to beat that out of him, but he didn't learn how to play defense in college). Even Risto looks better with a "safer" partner. I think York has the IQ, but I have my doubts about Provorov and Sanheim, both who seem to need a "safe" partner (see Sanheim with Braun) and TDA, Risto and Attard do not qualify.

Gauthier - while center is a learning experience, to me the key is his defense at center, because you probably don't want to pair Brink with a playmaking center (only one puck), so if Gauthier is strong on defense but just mediocre as a playmaker, he could pair with Brink - but we don't have any other wings who can control play.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
@Appleyard - some thoughts on your broadcast

Ginning - I was surprised watching him in a couple games in LHV, the Hagg comparison is apt, he's actually a smooth skater and made crisp outlet passes from the D-zone, didn't see any glaring errors, maybe the NA game suits him better. He's only 22, with 250 SHL games under his belt, so I'll keep an eye on him, mobile, big stay at home types still have a place in the NHL.

Tuomaala - his breakout in Mestis is encouraging, if he was D+2 in the CHL and started playing like this we'd be excited. He had a wasted season last year (mostly his fault, he didn't want to start at a lower level and work his way up), so it's good to see progress. Is he hockey dumb or it it like TK, who plays out of control at times but makes mistakes of aggression (i.e. bad judgment, not ignorance)?

Ersson - is he starter quality? He looked better than Sandstrom before he was sent down, but is having a "middle of the pack" season for LHV. But getting lots of good experience. I don't trust Sandstrom in a bigger role and expect him to get traded for a pick to make room for Errson and potentially Fedotov at some point next season (once he serves his year in the Navy Gulag). Where would you put Ersson v Fedotov v Kosolov?

Andrae - is he smart enough to "anchor" one of our RHDs, all of whom seem to need a reliable LHD who can CYA. I think Attard can play top 4 if his LHD can cover for his rover tendencies (they're trying to beat that out of him, but he didn't learn how to play defense in college). Even Risto looks better with a "safer" partner. I think York has the IQ, but I have my doubts about Provorov and Sanheim, both who seem to need a "safe" partner (see Sanheim with Braun) and TDA, Risto and Attard do not qualify.

Gauthier - while center is a learning experience, to me the key is his defense at center, because you probably don't want to pair Brink with a playmaking center (only one puck), so if Gauthier is strong on defense but just mediocre as a playmaker, he could pair with Brink - but we don't have any other wings who can control play.
Fedotov, will he ever make it over?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
At this point it's probably some kind of national pride for Russia that he stays domestic and plays there. For the motherland or some nonsense. Maybe when Putin is dead.
Or more like you leave your family will be in trouble or something to that effect. Unfortunate

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At this point it's probably some kind of national pride for Russia that he stays domestic and plays there. For the motherland or some nonsense. Maybe when Putin is dead.
Nah, they were trying to pressure him to sign a KHL deal, but once he does his year he should be home free.
Doubt Putin even knows who he is, probably some KHL owner who pulled strings to put pressure on him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nah, they were trying to pressure him to sign a KHL deal, but once he does his year he should be home free.
Doubt Putin even knows who he is, probably some KHL owner who pulled strings to put pressure on him.

Putin is a hockey nut who has pulled strings to give his favorite team an advantage, and has long sought to elevate the KHL to NHL level. I'm quite sure this whole thing is on his radar and he knows who the goalie for CSKA Moscow is. You know, the team owned by his government.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Reminder, the passing and general skill package was not the reason they drafted this player. :laugh:

1671733564189.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Phantoms ES scoring:

Foerster 26g 4-5 9
Lycksell 18g 2-7 9
Desnoyers 26g 9-3 12 (2 SH goals)
Anisimov 11g 5-1 6
Attard 26g 3-4 7
Bellows 7g 2-2 4
Ginning 24g 1-6 7
Wisdom 23g 0-5 5
Zamula 8g 0-0 0
Hogberg 12g 1-2 3
Ratcliffe 17 2-0 2

To me, ES scoring is far more important that PP scoring for most AHL players, b/c if recalled, they're likely to play on the bottom six and never sniff the PP - so their ability to score at even strength is a better indicator of what they might contribute at the next level.

Desnoyers' only issue is 3 assists in 26g as a center, partially b/c he's been the 3C or 4C most of the year, but it also may point to some limitations as a playmaker at center, watching him in a few games he seems to skate well, is a smart defensive player and has a good shot, but I don't recall him showing a lot as a passer.

Reactions: jabba2

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

The Flyers are jam-packed with young talent, from Cutter Gauthier to Tyson Foerster to Olle Lycksell and, of course, Cam York (who's currently in the NHL lineup). Philadelphia will want a good shot at the Connor Bedard/Adam Fantilli sweepstakes, too, but there's plenty of hope available already in its system.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

The Flyers are jam-packed with young talent, from Cutter Gauthier to Tyson Foerster to Olle Lycksell and, of course, Cam York (who's currently in the NHL lineup). Philadelphia will want a good shot at the Connor Bedard/Adam Fantilli sweepstakes, too, but there's plenty of hope available already in its system.

They’re as jam packed with young talent as the attendance at home games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Kevin Connauton and his 3 points in the AHL are going to the Spengler Cup.

If you wonder how you get stuck at 50 contracts, it's by giving guys like that two-year NHL deals.
Shows how dumb GM's really can be.

Meanwhile Milano goes unsigned after 34 pts in 66 games....finally signs after the season starts....and has 16 pts in 23 games.

But you know, having that extra safety net in was too good to pass up.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Kevin Connauton and his 3 points in the AHL are going to the Spengler Cup.

If you wonder how you get stuck at 50 contracts, it's by giving guys like that two-year NHL deals.

Look at Carolina & Toronto they churn through their AHL team every year in hopes of getting something that could stick at the NHL level. They don’t really sign many veterans to NHL deals. They also don’t really hand out second contracts to younger players down there who aren’t even really progressing either.

They have Anisimov, Wilson, O’Reilly, & Bellerieve within their top ten scorers on the team. None of these guys have an NHL deal. You’re obviously investing more ice time into these guys than the the veterans you signed to NHL deals as most of those guys are towards the bottom of your team scoring leaders. So even there with your own roster it’s shown you can still get veterans you like & not have to make those type of commitments.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Look at Carolina & Toronto they churn through their AHL team every year in hopes of getting something that could stick at the NHL level. They don’t really sign many veterans to NHL deals. They also don’t really hand out second contracts to younger players down there who aren’t even really progressing either.
It's like they sign these guys without thinking of how that might impact the development of players. Now maybe he just became a non-prospect overnight, but Millman looked like an actual good mid-round pick, got boned by Covid and has been toiling in the ECHL because they have vets taking up minutes in the AHL. He's up now. We'll see if he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad