Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Summer 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the AHL cuts will come today, with a few after Tuesday (keeping players for the back to back games).
With few roster spots up for grabs, they're only looking at AHL players for purposes of evaluating "first call ups."

Looking at camp lines:

Ratcliffe - Laczynski - Foerster
Fitzgerald - O'Reilly - Mayhew
Bunnaman - Rubtsov - Sandin
Wilson - Cates - Willman

Zamula - Seeler
Hogberg - Zanetti
York - Clendening
Van de Least - Day
Millman - Wylie

Seeler is likely to be the 7th D-man until Morin returns, Zanetti back to juniors and Laczynski is out for the season.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think the AHL cuts will come today, with a few after Tuesday (keeping players for the back to back games).
With few roster spots up for grabs, they're only looking at AHL players for purposes of evaluating "first call ups."

Looking at camp lines:

Ratcliffe - Laczynski - Foerster
Fitzgerald - O'Reilly - Mayhew
Bunnaman - Rubtsov - Sandin
Wilson - Cates - Willman

Zamula - Seeler
Hogberg - Zanetti
York - Clendening
Van de Least - Day
Millman - Wylie

Seeler is likely to be the 7th D-man until Morin returns, Zanetti back to juniors and Laczynski is out for the season.

Autocorrect, Freudian slip, or sly bit of humour?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Toumalla- any info on him? Wed like gm to report to Sudbury Wolves in the OHL. I believe he wants to play in the AHL . Depends where management thinks is best.

Information pertaining to his current status? There hasn't been too much information regarding his immediate future. The Flyers have a game in Connecticut tomorrow following tonight's home game. That usually means that players fighting for a roster spot will get the nod to play with the bare minimum vets as required will play. Fair to say, we will know more in two days than now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think they are...

OHL starts Thursday and all of the likely CHL players have been returned to their teams. Hasn't really been a peep about him playing in the CHL. I think they are assuming last year's successes of Foerster and Wisdom in a short, watered down AHL season will carry-over. I have my doubts with a player that is more tools than toolbox.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I think they are...

OHL starts Thursday and all of the likely CHL players have been returned to their teams. Hasn't really been a peep about him playing in the CHL. I think they are assuming last year's successes of Foerster and Wisdom in a short, watered down AHL season will carry-over. I have my doubts with a player that is more tools than toolbox.

(Re: the bolded): They’re smelling themselves me thinks. Which has been an ongoing theme (in general) for 46 years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know if he's physically ready for the AHL, but he wants to play in NA.
If he does play for the Phantoms, they'll probably give him sheltered minutes to start the season, and increase the workload if he can handle it.

It's not like it's a huge jump from Liiga to the AHL, where he'd play if he went back to Finland.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just don't see how playing bottom 6 in the AHL under a coach like Lappy is going to allow Tuomaala the room to grow his game in his Draft +1.

No sir, I don't like it.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I just don't see how playing bottom 6 in the AHL under a coach like Lappy is going to allow Tuomaala the room to grow his game in his Draft +1.

No sir, I don't like it.

Well, it'll acclimate him to NA hockey, and he'll get to play defense and probably on a forechecking line.
Then next year play a bigger role.
It's not like he's going to leapfrog Foerster, Allison, Laczynski, Brink, JOB, Wisdom and Desnoyers in 2022-23.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meanwhile in the KHL:

Fedotov 8g, .939 S%, his teammate, Reideborn, 6g .909
4th in the KHL among goaltenders starting 8 or more games.

Kolosov 10g .927 S%, 9th among goaltenders starting 8 or more games.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Well, it'll acclimate him to NA hockey, and he'll get to play defense and probably on a forechecking line.
Then next year play a bigger role.
It's not like he's going to leapfrog Foerster, Allison, Laczynski, Brink, JOB, Wisdom and Desnoyers in 2022-23.

Playing in the OHL acclimates him to NA hockey just the same, if not better given usage. "Getting to play defense and forechecking" isn't the blueprint for an 18 year old who was barely a point/game in the Finnish u20s. It's a hackneyed hockey-ism. Liiga is phenomenal with integrating their teenagers into juicy roles, so the fact Karpat may not have thought highly of his readiness speaks volumes. The Flyers are feeling themselves because two radically different 18 year olds had success.

You say he isn't leapfrogging anyone anytime soon, but then they should rush him to a level he's probably below. Doesn't jibe. Tuomaala has a lot of raw skill and needs to improve his passing, decisions offensively, consistency. He's got good energy level, but his offense (his money maker, if he's an NHLer) is the part most in need of honing.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tuomaala is three years away in any case, it's a judgement call, will he improve faster in the wide open CHL game where few coaches stress fundamentals (they're paid to win, not develop players), or in the AHL with limited PT but steady practice time where he learn to play a NHL style game.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Tuomaala is three years away in any case, it's a judgement call, will he improve faster in the wide open CHL game where few coaches stress fundamentals (they're paid to win, not develop players), or in the AHL with limited PT but steady practice time where he learn to play a NHL style game.

The CHL is the better route to go. Tuomaala won't be playing against physically mature men and will be playing against peers. He'll also be allowed to develop without the added pressure of the pro game on top of it. We're taking about someone who barely turned 18 and is a rail thin 180 pounds.

And contrary to popular belief, CHL coaches do a fantastic job with regards to fundamentals. I'd suggest you might want to watch a practice or 100 some time to actually see what goes on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The CHL is the better route to go. Tuomaala won't be playing against physically mature men and will be playing against peers. He'll also be allowed to develop without the added pressure of the pro game on top of it. We're taking about someone who barely turned 18 and is a rail thin 180 pounds.

And contrary to popular belief, CHL coaches do a fantastic job with regards to fundamentals. I'd suggest you might want to watch a practice or 100 some time to actually see what goes on.

So how come so many top scorers come out of the CHL with no clue how to play defense or back check?

Think the difference is a kid like Desnoyers had to be sound to get PT in a bottom six role, but a player who scores gets a lot of slack.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Surprised Flyers never gave Saulnier a chance in a pre season game.... kid was fun as hell to watch with Phantoms last season.. Hits, fights, decent skater , not bad hands...... My fear with this team is they have no one that can provide a spark besides Risto. We've looked boring in the pre season (like last season and the one before) .....if were winning a ton of 2-1 ,3-2 games will all suck it up and be happy but when were losing or in tough who is going to provide a spark up front especially with Wade out of the lineup

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Phantoms Announce Preseason Schedule - Lehigh Valley Phantoms

Preseason Schedule:
Wednesday, October 6 (7:05) – Lehigh Valley Phantoms at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Saturday, October 9 (7:05) – LEHIGH VALLEY PHANTOMS vs. WILKES-BARRE/SCRANTON PENGUINS
Sunday, October 10 (5:00) – Lehigh Valley Phantoms at Hershey Bears
Wednesday, October 13 (7:05) – LEHIGH VALLEY PHANTOMS vs. HERSHEY BEARS

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tweets sounding like Tuomaala is the best player on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad