Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Next chapter 2015-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like I said in a previous post, if he made the trade to compete this year, he is an idiot. They have no shot. There's a decent chance that Zacha is in the NHL next season, but it's very unlikely Chychrun will be (I say unlikely because of the Jim Benning's of the world, you never know). So even if they lose Zacha, having Konecny who is likely the best player in the OHL next year still allows you to compete. If you get both back next year, you are one of the favorites.

Well I'm not saying I agree with the move, just that it seems like something I could picture a GM doing.

I guess we'll have to see. I think it's way too early to say he will or won't be in the NHL next year (based on his play, not looking at the message the trade might be sending) but it's certainly possible.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ignore the Hatcher dynamic. Let's look at this from a hockey perspective. A case for Konecny to play another year of junior hockey. Konecny is having a great season in the OHL, but I would not classify him as "too good for the league". Guys like Strome and Marner are too good for the league (and you will see those guys struggle next year in the NHL). Konecny is not in that class. He's more in the Jared McCann class (who also went 24th in his draft year too). Good enough to compete in the NHL as a teenager, but wouldn't have been hurt by another year of Junior hockey.

He's undersized. He may not get any bigger beyond what he is now, but another year to mature wouldn't hurt.

Where does he fit with the Flyers next year? I don't see a spot in the top 6. Simmonds and Schenn are on the right side. It's also not out of the question Voracek shifts back to his natural position. Can Konecny play LW? I think he can at some point in his career if need be, but I don't think that time will be as a 19 year old in the NHL.

Where does he play when Ryan White gets his 5 year extension to be the 3rd line RW? :sarcasm:

It is my opinion if you have any doubt a teenager is ready for the NHL, you should send him back. You have to be 100% certain (and I believe Hextall thinks along the same lines). The NHL is not a development league. I think Hakstol is a good coach, but with the whole VDV-Bellemare-White line fiasco this year and Laughton getting dog **** minutes, I'd rather have Konecny play another season in the OHL. Now if he goes 3 PPG the rest of the way I may change my opinion. :)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Do you really truly believe a scout or someone would give an answer like that off the record? You sound pretty sure of yourself.

He could have spoken with Hextall I don't know. Hextall has final say, but what do you think Hextall is basing his decision off of? He doesn't have the time to devote to following Travis Konecny around all year to determine if he is NHL ready at 19. His scouts and development staff are in his ear and reporting back to him on his progress and giving their opinion throughout the year. As a development coach for 5 years with the Flyers, I'm going to guess Hatcher still has dialogue with members of the organization that have some say in the matter. I don't think that is such an outrageous opinion. It would be pretty reckless of Hatcher as not just a coach, but a business owner, to make a trade like this on just a whim without gathering enough information from the organization he spent a decade with that would lead him to believe this was a prudent gamble.

I'm guessing by the reaction to my opinion, you guys are expecting Konecny in the NHL next season?

No....I am pretty sure that no one can say if Konecny will, or won't be on the Flyers next year 9 months in advance. And anyone making a decision on that info is foolish.

Konecny is not someone who people knew would take longer like Morin. He is not someone who needs his body to catch up his age. He is not so one who needs a few years to become a better skater. He is not someone who is struggling thru the season. He is not just an offensive player who needs to learn how to play defense.

He has no glaring flaws in his game. And that is why I don't think anyone in the Flyers organization would look at him TODAY and say yes, he is likely going back to the OHL. That decision will be made at camp, not in January by a scout.

Just my opinion.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No....I am pretty sure that no one can say if Konecny will, or won't be on the Flyers next year 9 months in advance. And anyone making a decision on that info is foolish.
Right or wrong, scouts ALWAYS have an opinion. If they didn't they wouldn't have a job.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd say Hatcher is being pretty reckless if he's making this decision based on the personal opinion of a scout, then.

Maybe, maybe not. If he is in fact getting feedback from a scout you would think it's from someone who he trusts and knows has a strong voice within the organization. Hell it could be Pryor.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ignore the Hatcher dynamic. Let's look at this from a hockey perspective. A case for Konecny to play another year of junior hockey. Konecny is having a great season in the OHL, but I would not classify him as "too good for the league". Guys like Strome and Marner are too good for the league (and you will see those guys struggle next year in the NHL). Konecny is not in that class. He's more in the Jared McCann class (who also went 24th in his draft year too). Good enough to compete in the NHL as a teenager, but wouldn't have been hurt by another year of Junior hockey.

He's undersized. He may not get any bigger beyond what he is now, but another year to mature wouldn't hurt.

Where does he fit with the Flyers next year? I don't see a spot in the top 6. Simmonds and Schenn are on the right side. It's also not out of the question Voracek shifts back to his natural position. Can Konecny play LW? I think he can at some point in his career if need be, but I don't think that time will be as a 19 year old in the NHL.

Where does he play when Ryan White gets his 5 year extension to be the 3rd line RW? :sarcasm:

It is my opinion if you have any doubt a teenager is ready for the NHL, you should send him back. You have to be 100% certain (and I believe Hextall thinks along the same lines). The NHL is not a development league. I think Hakstol is a good coach, but with the whole VDV-Bellemare-White line fiasco this year and Laughton getting dog **** minutes, I'd rather have Konecny play another season in the OHL. Now if he goes 3 PPG the rest of the way I may change my opinion. :)

Next season is the perfect time for him to make the team. He wont need to play Top 6 because of our depth there.

He would slot in nicely on our 3rd line, which DESPERATELY needs a makeover.

I think it could go either way but if he doesnt make the team Hextall is gonna have to overpay a UFA because I strongly doubt he wants to witness another bottom 6 **** show next season.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

Good piece right here. TK's got 1st line offensive catalyst type upside. No reason to have a player like that be a little fish in a big pond on a Flyers team (16-17) that will be improved but far from capable of doing any serious damage. You can see it a little bit with Mccann on VAN now. Came into their camp, did his thing and got on the team. Used his skill + the lack of NHL scouting against him to his advantage and had a great start. Now has started to level off and it's not out of the question to believe that such as move wasnt the best idea for his development.

I mean, how many players do you hear talked about nowadays who spent 'too many years in the minors'?

How many do you hear about (every year) that come into the league as teens and have their development come to a screeching halt?

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008

Amen.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I agree. It may be tempting because of how explosive and dynamic he is, but he is really small and should take another year at his level to harden up a little and hopefully continue to develop in all areas. He plays a tough game, hits like he's 25 pounds heavier but he get's pushed around and often knocked down in board battles. We should have a bit of patience, he's our only bluechip forward prospect and he's really small. Even in the wjc he looked tiny compared to his peers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Training camp will determine the decision, if he looks like he belongs, not just has a game or two but is clearly one of the 9 best wingers out there by a sizable margin.

PensBrony 6 9*

Next season is the perfect time for him to make the team. He wont need to play Top 6 because of our depth there.

He would slot in nicely on our 3rd line, which DESPERATELY needs a makeover.

I think it could go either way but if he doesnt make the team Hextall is gonna have to overpay a UFA because I strongly doubt he wants to witness another bottom 6 **** show next season.

What depth? They only have 5 top six forwards...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What depth? They only have 5 top six forwards...

Konecny is a RW.

Flyers Right Wings
-Jake Voracek
-Wayne Simmonds
-Brayden Schenn
-Matt Read

So assuming Voracek plays LW still next season, and Read plays 3rd line LW or 4th line LW/RW, you have a perfect spot to play TK, 3rd line RW.

PensBrony 6 9*

Konecny is a RW.

Flyers Right Wings
-Jake Voracek
-Wayne Simmonds
-Brayden Schenn
-Matt Read

So assuming Voracek plays LW still next season, and Read plays 3rd line LW or 4th line LW/RW, you have a perfect spot to play TK, 3rd line RW.

Didn't realize you meant a single position

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Taylor Leier 1+2 tonight plus a nice goal in the SO (call him up, please).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Taylor Leier 1+2 tonight plus a nice goal in the SO (call him up, please).

Every-time I watch the Phantoms he looks like the best all-around two-way forward they have when considering play in all three zones. Fast, smart, good defensively, can PK and has some offense.

Hopefully he pushed VdV off the 4th line by next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Every-time I watch the Phantoms he looks like the best all-around two-way forward they have when considering play in all three zones. Fast, smart, good defensively, can PK and has some offense.

Hopefully he pushed VdV off the 4th line by next year.

Had VandeVelde made any play in the past month that one would deem "good?"

PensBrony 6 9*

Well I referring to why Konecny wouldnt be needed to play in the Top 6..and since he is RW..that position is all thats relevant :)

Well not to drag this out, but you said "top six" depth, not rw depth. They don't have top six depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad