Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Next chapter 2015-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYERSG

Sep 27, 2014
Sarnia vs London at 2pm. Lots of draft eligible talent in that game.

Also, Barrie vs Mississauga at 3pm on Sportsnet for those of you in Canada.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But really, there should be no way to make that call on Konecny right now. Lots can change between now and then.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'm starting to think Konecny plays another year of Junior. I don't think Derian Hatcher gave up what he gave up to get Konecny without at least a little assurance he wouldn't be in the NHL next year.

he really has no say in the matter. If Konecny comes to Flyer camp and blows everyone away he could make the team. If that is the case then tough luck for Hatcher.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
he really has no say in the matter. If Konecny comes to Flyer camp and blows everyone away he could make the team. If that is the case then tough luck for Hatcher.
He doesn't have a say but he knows people in the organization. If he made the trade for this season he's an idiot as London has toyed with Sarnia twice since Konecny got traded. They have no shot in the OHL this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Hextall was asked about that recently and he said no one knows if Provorov and Konecny will be on the Flyers next season because he doesn't know yet. It'll depend on how they play in camp.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
GM speak. He's not going to come out and say a 19 year old kid is or isn't going to be on the team. Benefits no one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's also not going to tell an OHL coach whether a player wil make the Flyers 16-17 opening night roster in January. It's a ludicrous notion, frankly.

And it's not GM speak to say performances in camp and preseason will determine who makes the team. It's just common sense.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He also has no clue if they're going to make the team since a lot can happen before then and I'm sure he hasn't made his mind up one way or the other yet.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's also not going to tell an OHL coach whether a player wil make the Flyers 16-17 opening night roster in January. It's a ludicrous notion, frankly.
No but I'm sure Hatcher asked someone in the organization what are the chances this kid is in the NHL next year. Seems like the logical thing to do. It sets the franchise that he owns back if he actually made that trade without asking around because that team has no shot to win the OHL this year.

And it's not GM speak to say performances in camp and preseason will determine who makes the team. It's just common sense.
Actually I can't think of a better example of GM speak. Literally every GM in the league says the same thing.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
No but I'm sure Hatcher asked someone in the organization what are the chances this kid is in the NHL next year. Seems like the logical thing to do. It sets the franchise that he owns back if he actually made that trade without asking around because that team has no shot to win the OHL this year.
I'm sure he asked around, but there's no reason to believe he was given an answer since the Flyers probably don't know yet.

Actually I can't think of a better example of GM speak. Literally every GM in the league says the same thing.

Eh, GM speak is generally used to conceal the truth. We have no reason to believe that's not the entire truth at this point.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm sure he asked around, but there's no reason to believe he was given an answer since the Flyers probably don't know yet.
No reason to believe other than the fact he's been involved with the organization for the last 10 years. Teams have internal discussions about these things all the time.

Eh, GM speak is generally used to conceal the truth. We have no reason to believe that's not the entire truth at this point.
It's a general answer to a general question. No one with half a brain is going to read into it anymore than that. Is there any doubt Provorov won't be in the NHL next year?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No reason to believe other than the fact he's been involved with the organization for the last 10 years. Teams have internal discussions about these things all the time.

It's a general answer to a general question. No one with half a brain is going to read into it anymore than that. Is there any doubt Provorov won't be in the NHL next year?

So you believe that Hextall told him no he won't be in the NHL next year, and regardless of what Konecny does, he is going back?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So you believe that Hextall told him no he won't be in the NHL next year, and regardless of what Konecny does, he is going back?

It's laughable, really. What kind of GM makes a decision like that nine months early and then tells someone who doesn't work for the team.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Well, I'm curious, then. What do you think Hextall told Hatcher?

If Provorov comes to camp and blows it, then, no, he won't be in the NHL. I don't think that will happen, but it still depends on his performance. Which is what Hextall said.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Did I say he gave him a 100% answer? If he did conditional picks wouldn't have even been involved in the trade. All I said is I don't think Hatcher makes that trade without a little assurance he's not in the show next year. If he talked to someone with the Flyers and they say he has a 20% (arbitrary) chance of making the Flyers, it's probably a good gamble to acquire one of the best players in the league for possibly 1.5 seasons + playoffs.

It's laughable, really. What kind of GM makes a decision like that nine months early and then tells someone who doesn't work for the team.
Who said that? You keep bringing up Hextall.

Well, I'm curious, then. What do you think Hextall told Hatcher?
Who said he talked to Hextall?

If Provorov comes to camp and blows it, then, no, he won't be in the NHL. I don't think that will happen, but it still depends on his performance. Which is what Hextall said.
I'll save you the wait. He'll be on the team.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But if he didn't talk to Hextall, then that is worse. Do you really think you should take advice on Konecnys chance if being on the Flyers from someone other that Hextall?

It's a flawed premise.

He might have asked someone, or anyone. But everyone's answer would be the same..."who knows"

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Now that I think about it, maybe it does make sense that he thinks Konecny will be in the NHL next year and traded for him anyway.

I mean, it's possible that Sarnia loses both Zacha and Chychrun next year and if that's the case they don't have much of a chance even if Konecny does come back. So maybe he traded for Konecny because he's thinking that this is their last year of contention for a while regardless and he might as well go all out while they can have 3 stars.

Just a thought...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
But if he didn't talk to Hextall, then that is worse. Do you really think you should take advice on Konecnys chance if being on the Flyers from someone other that Hextall?

It's a flawed premise.

He might have asked someone, or anyone. But everyone's answer would be the same..."who knows"
Do you really truly believe a scout or someone would give an answer like that off the record? You sound pretty sure of yourself.

He could have spoken with Hextall I don't know. Hextall has final say, but what do you think Hextall is basing his decision off of? He doesn't have the time to devote to following Travis Konecny around all year to determine if he is NHL ready at 19. His scouts and development staff are in his ear and reporting back to him on his progress and giving their opinion throughout the year. As a development coach for 5 years with the Flyers, I'm going to guess Hatcher still has dialogue with members of the organization that have some say in the matter. I don't think that is such an outrageous opinion. It would be pretty reckless of Hatcher as not just a coach, but a business owner, to make a trade like this on just a whim without gathering enough information from the organization he spent a decade with that would lead him to believe this was a prudent gamble.

I'm guessing by the reaction to my opinion, you guys are expecting Konecny in the NHL next season?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Weekly Prospect Update
AHL
Nick Cousins - 34GP 10G 23A 33PTS +10
Petr Straka - 38GP 17G 9A 26PTS +8
Danick Martel - 34GP 14G 7A 21PTS -2
Taylor Leier - 37GP 10G 11A 21PTS 0
Tyrell Goulbourne - 42GP 6G 8A 14PTS -6
Mark Alt - 41GP 3G 10A 13PTS +14
Samuel Morin - 42GP 3G 10A 13PTS -1
Cole Bardreau - 20GP 2G 7A 9PTS +3
Robert Hagg - 33GP 1G 3A 4PTS -7
Jesper Pettersson - 23GP 1G 2A 3PTS -4
Christian Marti - 9GP 0G 1A 1PTS -5
Anthony Stolarz - 26GP 12-10-3 2.31GAA .920SV% 0SO

CHL (OHL, QMJHL, & WHL)
Travis Konecny - 38GP 14G 46A 60PTS +11
Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 41GP 28G 32A 60PTS +36
Radel Fazleev - 37GP 14G 32A 46PTS +7
Ivan Provorov - 37GP 9G 30A 39PTS +32
Travis Sanheim - 28GP 8G 28A 36PTS 0
Philippe Myers - 45GP 12G 19A 31PTS +28
Samuel Dove-McFalls - 8GP 1G 2A 3PTS -1

Czech Extraliga
David Kase - 17GP 1G 0A 1PTS -6, 16GP 6G 8A 14PTS +3 (Czech 2)

KHL
Valeri Vasiliev - 10GP 0G 1A 1PTS -1
Mikhail Vorobyov - 19GP 6G 16A 22PTS +9 (MHL), 21GP 2G 1A 3PTS +1 (KHL)
Ivan Fedotov - 22GP 14-4-3 2.17GAA .914SV% 2SO (MHL)

NCAA
Mark Friedman - 27GP 4G 12A 16PTS +10
Cooper Marody - 21GP 8G 6A 14PTS -3
Reece Willcox - 19GP 2G 7A 9PTS +4
Terrance Amorosa - 13GP 1G 7A 8PTS +5
David Drake - 24GP 0G 5A 5PTS +1
Merrick Madsen - 14GP 10-1-2 1.91GAA .933SV% 4SO
Matej Tomek -

SHL
Oskar Lindblom - 32GP 5G 14A 19PTS +14
Felix Sandstrom - 12GP 6-6-0 2.82GAA .903SV% 0SO

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Now that I think about it, maybe it does make sense that he thinks Konecny will be in the NHL next year and traded for him anyway.

I mean, it's possible that Sarnia loses both Zacha and Chychrun next year and if that's the case they don't have much of a chance even if Konecny does come back. So maybe he traded for Konecny because he's thinking that this is their last year of contention for a while regardless and he might as well go all out while they can have 3 stars.

Just a thought...
Like I said in a previous post, if he made the trade to compete this year, he is an idiot. They have no shot. There's a decent chance that Zacha is in the NHL next season, but it's very unlikely Chychrun will be (I say unlikely because of the Jim Benning's of the world, you never know). So even if they lose Zacha, having Konecny who is likely the best player in the OHL next year still allows you to compete. If you get both back next year, you are one of the favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad