Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost would be the 3C right now if he was fit. They need him badly with Patrick struggling, and Laughton being more of a wing and likely on the way out.

Reactions: Rebels57

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Frost would be the 3C right now if he was fit. They need him badly with Patrick struggling, and Laughton being more of a wing and likely on the way out.

Would you rather part with the first or Frost to help the D? I get likening the prospects that are here but IDK w Frost and the fit here on a team that loves big centers and has several already. I think I could easily be talked into taking the mystery box of the 1st pick if that's what it took to close the deal. Maybe that's just me though but I just wasn't that impressed with him. Don't see him suddenly turning into the next Point or anything but I could of course be wrong.

That said they need to do something. No more sitting on all the goodies perpetually if these jokers want to keep their jobs. Scott probably doesn't even know who Frost is, lol, but he knows he needs a better product on the ice. I'd much rather they do that than trade Z or York if I had to choose. They can spare their 13th forward.

Last edited:

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I wouldn't part with either this spring.
This summer, after the ED, for a young D-man who can be a cornerstone player. Yes.
For a one year rental, no way.
True but they could protect 4 and probably would in that scenario. In any case it wont be us making the decision. It's the guys who's job it is to sell tickets to this unwatchable dreck.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
This team should be in win now mode by now. If they have needs then they have to address them. Having 80 B level prospects isn't the goal of this enterprise.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This team should be in win now mode by now. If they have needs then they have to address them. Having 80 B level prospects isn't the goal of this enterprise.
Wasted Giroux's prime
Wasted Jakes prime
Wasted Simmonds prime and great contract
Wasted much of Couts prime and all of his great contract
Wasted Schenn's time with us...got good trade value at least
We are now 2 years into Provy's and TK's contracts...possibly before they leave....or big UFA deals.

Trading Schenn was very puzzling since that is a deal to rebuild...not to contend So then not doing the same thing to Simmonds was a massive wasted opportunity. We have been in a "compete but not really" mode since Hextall took over.

Just look at how the 2 years away comments have aged. If we had been told, we are going to "really" try and contend when G and Couts have 1 year left on their deal we would have freaked. But I guess they knew that.

But hey, we have lots of depth prospects now to watch guys like Stewy, AA and Prosser play. All 3 guys were out of the NHL for a year before joining us. Not that it matters of course.

Reactions: Rebels57

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Some of the current Flyers just haven’t received the memo. They won’t back check; they throw blind passes in the d-zone; make drop passes to no one; miss defensive coverages; don’t clear the front of the net and so on. It’s pretty simple what needs to be done-either sit them or trade them. No coach/GM can allow that type of play to carry on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only mistake was not trading Simmonds and maybe Voracek.

G's prime wasn't wasted, he had three great playoffs, but has never been dominant like that again, consistently good, but MIA in the playoffs.
Couts is in his prime right now and has a few more years on that great contract left.

And they've had some bad luck, Lindblom and Patrick were entering their prime years, can't plan for that, if both were top six forwards as was reasonably expected by now, this team would be up there with the top teams, and maybe in a couple months if they continue to progress. the three young D-men should be entering their peak years at 24, then Niskanen retires before they can adequately replace him (his contract was timed for the ED).

And who expected Hart to implode this year?

But that's sports, sometimes you have a good plan and bad things happen, sometimes you screw up and things still work out. This team is on the verge of being a top team, Hart could find his mojo, Patrick and Lindblom could step up, and so on. Frost might emerge as a star next year, York might be the glue D-man they need. They just need a break or two from the Hockey Gods.

Reactions: GoFightWin16

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
An organization can build a perennial contender by smart roster building but it always takes some luck to win it all.
The injuries to Patrick and Lindblom's cancer were tough luck for sure... Forst, Allison, Laczynski, Rubtsov and many more ... well, it doesn't seem like the hockey Gods love this place.
Hart and goaltending in general? Of course it had to happen.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Other than Frost and Tanner, who is the pipe line for center? We had to go and get Dog Man as UFA as No.2. Patrick: who knows what is going through his sine/cosine wave brain with the migraines.

BTW: I love watching/listening to the Phantoms. SE 2 played a Phantoms game from last season yesterday , boring with Gabriele, Bigras, Witherspoon, Andreoff...... Phantoms are much more fun to watch than the Flyers. Each shift is a learning experience.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wasted Giroux's prime
Wasted Jakes prime
We are now 2 years into Provy's and TK's contracts...possibly before they leave....or big UFA deals.

Trading Schenn was very puzzling since that is a deal to rebuild...not to contend So then not doing the same thing to Simmonds was a massive wasted opportunity. We have been in a "compete but not really" mode since Hextall took over.

Just look at how the 2 years away comments have aged. If we had been told, we are going to "really" try and contend when G and Couts have 1 year left on their deal we would have freaked. But I guess they knew that.

But hey, we have lots of depth prospects now to watch guys like Stewy, AA and Prosser play. All 3 guys were out of the NHL for a year before joining us. Not that it matters of course.

I think Hextall overvalued Simmonds & seriously underestimated how much of a decline he actually was in. I think at the time he thought Simmonds would still be good at the expiration of his contract & be worthy of an extension.

I think he thought Schenn was replaceable.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Other than Frost and Tanner, who is the pipe line for center? We had to go and get Dog Man as UFA as No.2. Patrick: who knows what is going through his sine/cosine wave brain with the migraines.

BTW: I love watching/listening to the Phantoms. SE 2 played a Phantoms game from last season yesterday , boring with Gabriele, Bigras, Witherspoon, Andreoff...... Phantoms are much more fun to watch than the Flyers. Each shift is a learning experience.

Well, there's this kid playing for BU who has 16 points in 15 games.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Some of the current Flyers just haven’t received the memo. They won’t back check; they throw blind passes in the d-zone; make drop passes to no one; miss defensive coverages; don’t clear the front of the net and so on. It’s pretty simple what needs to be done-either sit them or trade them. No coach/GM can allow that type of play to carry on.

Its almost like the organization as a whole has done a really poor job of showing these kids how to play at the NHL level. Instead of finding a way to coach them and harness their natural talent, let take the easy way out and just bench 'em again, that will learn them this time!

There has been tons of talent on the Flyers roster and in their system in the last 5 or so years. If they can't find a way to turn that talent into winning hockey players then the management and coaching side of the organization needs to be gutted top to bottom.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers are starting 9 players under 25 and would start 10 if Frost was healthy. That's out of 20 regular slots.
I'd say they're doing a fine job developing talent, fans are just impatient.
Players tend to peak from 24-30, so they added Hayes to join Couts and Ghost in the "sweet spot" and take the pressure off G and Voracek.

And they have a flood of solid prospects just behind them, from Ersson and Fedotov in goal, Laczynski, Frost, JOB, Cates, Brink, Wisdom, Foerster at forward, and York, Zamula, Millman, Andrae, Attard, Wylie, St Ivany on defense.

I'm pretty certain Fletcher is going to make a major move this summer once the ED is behind him, but look at the youth in this organization, you want to add a cornerpiece who'll play 5-6 years, not a rental at a similar cost (for what teams are asking at the TDL, you can put together a similar package and get a lot more value next summer).

Reactions: GoFightWin16

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wasted Giroux's prime
Wasted Jakes prime

Add all of this up and you get the most apathetic the Flyers fanbase has been since the Pre-Lindros early 90s. Maybe worse since they were only a few years removed from the 87 team.

They better make something big happen after expansion. This shit is pointless.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Add all of this up and you get the most apathetic the Flyers fanbase has been since the Pre-Lindros early 90s. Maybe worse since they were only a few years removed from the 87 team.

They better make something big happen after expansion. This shit is pointless.
an d if we are going to sit on our hands and do nothing because they are scared of expansion, they should be out trying to sell high on Laughton and JVR so they have more assets to move post ED.

Reactions: orangey

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, if Laczynski is ready, I'd move Laughton b/c I have 10 forwards for nine top 9 spots, so I can plug in Laczynski at 4C and give him a test drive.

Reactions: renberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad